• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If either the lift attendant or the skier had lowered the seat, the outcome would likely have been successful.

I don't know how that is "holier than thou".

Your own experience shows that skiers can lowere the seat when needed, so I'm not sure what your point is.
There was a lot of what I percieved to be victim blaming in the other thread. Obviously not totally intentional but came across as such with suggestions of how we can avoid this happening to ourselves. Seems to me another thread with such suggestions and advice is better than posting it in the thread about the tragedy itself.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a reminder the other thread regarding this subject was closed. While we would all like to know the full story immediately that isn't going to happen. Let's keep it civil and work with the information available. Thank you.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier

If there is one uplifting moment in this unbearably sad incident, it's the bystanders at Blue Sky Basin forming a human pyramid in an attempt to save the victim (though ultimately not successful).

If only the lift had been reversed as soon as the tragedy unfolded...

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
What a horrible accident. I can't imagine how that lift operator feels. Or the folk who were there observing the whole thing. It's just tragic.

Just my opinion, but it will be a very expensive settlement for Vail.

Mike

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder why the operator was not authorized to reverse the lift. Maybe reversing increases the risk of rollback and could scare some people on the lift but it seems like those risks should be ignored in life threatening situations. This one is extremely rare but dangling skier at height is more common and has the same remedy.

Sponsor

Staff online