Colorado Vail passes the $200 ticket window price

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Tricia, Jan 2, 2019.

1. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

I was thinking about this as some of these programs seem to bother me, and some don't, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

I think the ones that bother me tend to not only make the person-paying-extra's experience better, but they make the experience worse for those that don't pay.

To make up an example, if you have a regular lodge/restaurant available to all, and a private lodge/restaurant for a fee, I don't have a problem with that. The private lodge doesn't directly make the regular lodge worse.

But if you have only a regular lodge/restaurant, and I have to wait longer, or get restricted to certain times, because someone else paid, it bothers me.

So things like first class seats on an airplane don't bother me, because it doesn't change the trip time/experience for me in coach. But line cutting privileges kind of bother me, because they make everyone else wait longer in deference to those who paid more.

I'm not sure that's the whole thing - there's probably also some jealously involved ("Gee, I wish I could pay to ski every resort without waiting in a lift line! Seems unfair that some people get to.") But I also think I might feel bad about doing that often even if I could afford it, since I know I'd be cutting everyone else off.

skix, SBrown, LuliTheYounger and 2 others like this.
  2. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Well we could rent Plattekill for $4,500.
    I doubt though we could get 50 people to pay$100, or a 100 to pay $50 midweek.

3. Talisman

Talisman Getting off the lift Team Gathermeister

I guess the virtually mandatory Vail parking fees are in the $195 million in "miscellaneous revenue?"

4. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

Yep, it's called secret pass. The cost of it has also gone up over the last few years. I think this season it was either $200 or $220 above the normal season pass. It can also be included in a lot of lodging options for those that don't have a season pass. If you spend a lot of time using Eagle, Flyer, Timberline, or Union then it might be worth it to you.

5. QueueCT

QueueCT Getting on the lift Skier

And you put your finger on the issue for me. It's simply line cutting. If you're paying for a lesson, okay, I get it, even though some folks do privates just to get line cutting privileges. That's a relatively small volume.

It bothers me a bit less at airports because people didn't pony up $10k to get first crack at overhead bins, it's a perk for flying that particular airline frequently. Plus I get those perks ogsmile

Monique likes this.

6. dbostedo

For the airports, I was thinking of the flight itself, not the boarding. I guess in that case it doesn't bother me, because someone has to board first and last and there's pre-assignment... it's not a continual line you get in. I guess it's below my threshhold for caring - although I also, as of last month, get some airline FF perks.

7. mikel

mikel Out on the slopes Skier

Wow hot topic. Even the local Denver news covered the story this past week They mentioned Vail and Copper. I guess Copper because it was alleged that in the past it has been known as a reasonably priced day ticket and this past holiday it was only $1 cheaper than Aspen. I still saw people in line at the ticket window.

John Webb likes this.
  8. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

And I think that's why the success of Breck's lesson club program may kill it. On a weekend, the lesson lines to get up the T-Bar, Imperial, 6 Chair, etc, are generally choked with advanced-to-expert skiers. They've already killed off Sunday unless you have a custom group. With all the particulars of a custom group, if you're not in a group already, it would take a miracle to get into one.

9. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Probabably fewer skiers since the Ikon base pass, I paid $499 for last spring, held by many was blacked out over Christmas.

I got around this by skiing Copper Mt & Winter Park the only 2 of 3 Ikon Base areas (Eldora is third) not blacked out on holidays !
    Truth is we were driving to Denver anyway to see friends. No snow on roads but expect some on Donner this Mon or Tue.

10. LKLA

LKLA Out on the slopes Skier

For what its worth - airlines tend to only make money from "premium" passengers, business class, and on some routes (long haul routes to say Asia or the Middle East), they include a first class. They often do not make money, or very much, from economy passengers. In a way the first and business class folks are subsidizing economy class tickets.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  11. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Prez of my former ski club in VA/MD in her 40’s or 50’s wins show jumping meets. One day the horse tripped on a gate and fell on her. She was lucky she rolled to the side and only got broken ribs- else she’d be dead!
    She’s still show jumping more that skiing.

on topic -skiing Snowbird today (5 days on Ikon base allowed at Alta+Bird)

LKLA likes this.
  12. LKLA

That revenue includes private ski club revenue (which includes both club dues and amortization of initiation fees), marketing and internet advertising revenue, municipal services and lodging and transportation.

13. raisingarizona

raisingarizona Getting off the lift Skier

I wasn’t saying that they were out to get anyone. All I’m saying is if they force budget minded consumers to buy epic passes instead of day tickets they know their customers are going to be predominantly or inclusively skiing at their resorts.

14. LKLA

Of course!

Starbucks gives you a free coffee after every ten purchases if you have their app, American Airlines gives you airlines miles you can use to get free tickets or upgrades if you fly with them often and are part of their affinity program, Sports Illustrated gives you a whopping 94% off the news stand rate if you subscribe for 78 issues, Amazon gives you unlimited free shipping for the bargain price of $119.

Muleski likes this.
  15. raytseng

raytseng Out on the slopes Skier

Instead of pricing out, substitute "locking out" (or is it "locking in") and it rings more true (i.e. stopping sales of epicpass in december is a key prong of the strategy).
    No other loyalty program brought has this same stoppage of sales as part of the strategy. Only perhaps Disney's vhs/dvd buy before it goes into the vault is similar

16. dbostedo

Both IKON and MCP stop sales in a similar way.

LKLA likes this.
  17. raytseng

right, im counting the whole US industry. nothing else except for ski passes

18. dbostedo

Ah... I thought you were just referring to the Epic Pass.

raytseng likes this.
  19. raytseng

yea, :beercheer:all of northametica skiing is in a war in which is making everything funky and not traditional supply/demand economics, so am including mcp ikon as well as all the other indepeny alliance passes as part of my statements.
    Its equal part rewarding loyalty, but also equal part punishing you if you leave.

20. LKLA

Disney increased ticket prices by 8% effective Sunday January 6th, 2019 at its Anaheim theme park.

The price of an adult ticket for a one-day pass has increased from $43 in 2000 to $149 in 2019.

Industry experts said park officials can continue to increase prices as long as the market will bear it. "
    There hasn’t been any real kickback from the marketplace.People still enjoy theme parks, and they want to go. They realize the entertainment value, and they keep coming."

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019