• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Waterpolo?

I am in my 40s - most folks I hang around with are too old to be riding around on ponies, but those whose kids have taken to show jumping are in a world of pain. They might as well start burning $100 bills to heat the house :eek:

Bravo, good one, not sure why are you discussing $209/day lift ticket price vs. having a good time at the show jumping practice at the local NYC polo/equestrian club but ... whatever rocks your sailboat .

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
And honestly, it is getting silly at this point - I am done discussing this, thank you, all in good fun ...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One example of who pays walk up rates : I paid $150 to ski one day at Breck last spring with only peak 8 open. Stupid, I know. But I'd never been there and wanted to ski it, and was already paying a good amount to be out there and skiing in the first place. I had a great time, but probably wouldn't do it again. And I spent to next day at Loveland to make up for it. It also doesn't hurt so much when the rate is $79 locally to ski something much smaller than what was open at Breckenridge.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have an Epic local pass, which doesn’t include Telluride. Does anyone know if you are able to get a discount when purchasing a single day ticket there when you have an Epic local pass, or are you on the hook for the whole $135?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding the window tickets, I wonder how many people who buy them are aware of the potential savings of an IKON, Epic, MC, or some of the other smaller passes. They see (or remember) when season passes at single areas kept going up and up and buying a few day tickets was cheaper. Not so anymore if you can make IKON et al work for you.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
The last time we played golf at Pebble Beach it was well over $400 per person. I would have definitely welcomed a season pass vs paying window prices!

I think this is what people are lamenting. Instead of Vail, Whistler, Aspen, (insert famous mountain here), being a place where people go to ski regularly it's like you do it once to say you did it, or go there for your buddies 40th, it becomes much more like Disney, a box to check, than a serene individual sport many of us consider it to be.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Disneyland 1 day adult pass for tomorrow is $185. Squaw posted online window rate $179. The cost to enter these two places have been almost the same since I started paying attention, like 20+ years ago.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
The "catch" to skiing in Europe vs the US for folks like myself and likely most others is the cost of travel - and the time it takes to get from door to door (ski slope). Living in NYC, I can fly my family to Salt Lake for much less than it would cost me to get them over to St Anton. I can leave NYC on an early morning flight out and be on the slopes for the second half of the day. The difference in transportation expenses more than pays for the difference in tickets - or if you have an Epic or IKON pass - it pays for a lesson or two.

I don't think the price difference is nearly as much as you think. For example, I just did a quick comparison for NYC - Zurich and NYC - SLC for Feb 2-9. The cheapest flight I could find to Zurich is $435 round trip. The cheapest I could find for SLC was $247. I'm guessing you could find Southwest tickets for cheaper than that if you book really early, but I'd be shocked if you got under $150.

I agree about travel times, and that makes a big difference on long weekends. But, I don't think the cost difference is as big as you think, unless you're getting ridiculously good deals to SLC that I'm not seeing.

I'm not really trying to argue that people in the US should be doing trips to the Alps, though I think a lot of them should consider it for a number of reasons. I just wanted to point out that, in the time it took places like the Arlberg area, which has 90 lifts spread out around 6 or 7 towns/villages, to go from about $50 per day up to $60, Vail went from something like $100 or $110 to now $209 per day.

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the Teluride thing though, I think the interview is only a partial view on the deal. Remember there is one more bulletpoint:
  • Telluride Season Pass holders and Telluride Ski & Golf Club members with full winter benefits will receive 50 percent off lift tickets at all Vail Resorts owned mountain resorts.
So I think there is significant money flowing back the other way that they're not talking about, and mins/maxes and caps; and the interviewee is spinning just 1side of 1 individual transaction for exaggeration and effect.
So maybe VR is paying telluride $118; but telluride passholders+telluride corp. maybe paying vail $100+$100 back for their days.

That's a good point. Now, there are a lot more Epic passholders than Telluride season/life passholders. But yes, Telluride's take might not be that high.

Whether what was said in the CNBC interview by Bill Jensen is true or not is hard/impossible to know. Seems within ball park from other deals I am aware of but hard to know if it’s exactly what he said it is. Frankly it could be more!

Vail feels it’s pass will attract more people if it includes Telluride in its offering. For one they do not want IKON including such a high profile mountain it in its pass. Vail also wants to better understand how Telluride works if it’s considering a future transaction. Vail also wants to gain valuable data attribution from those folks. And of course because it makes money! If you think the margin on Vail’s season passes is 15% then you are sorely mistaken. They are not loosing money on an $900 pass by giving away $120. Why would they not do a JV with a great and unique mountain like Telluride!?

I think a significant chunk of the Epic passholders who visit Telluride will stay for more than one day. But then only some percentage of them will use any at all, and you're right that there are plenty of ways this adds value for Vail that makes it make business sense. I apologize for the lack of clarity in my initial post... it wasn't aimed at the Epic pass, which I do think is a legitimate long-term project, and they're making smart decisions.

Of course MoviePass and Vail or Alterra are completely different animals. MoviePass is basically done in barely a couple of years while Vail is one of the best run companies around. With all due respect - you either have no idea of MoviePass’ business and/or how Vail or Alterra make money.

Or both ;) I never heard of MoviePass before reading this thread, so my comments there are entirely based on what you and a couple other posters wrote. I agree that Vail is a well-run company, though I'm sure my insight into how they make money is somewhat limited. Alterra... I hope they have a solid roadmap to profitability, but so far their actions haven't revealed it. I do know that season pass revenue was a significant piece of the bottom line for most of the different companies they've acquired, and eliminating that revenue stream/turning it into a cost center doesn't strike me as sustainable.

Not sure how you are arriving at your conclusions. Alterra is not loosing money. In fact, it’s ahead of projections on how many passes it has sold. I can’t disclose more on that front but if you don’t believe me just look at Vail’s most recent pass sales metrics - pass sales were barely up 8% (ex military pass) - a huge drop from the last few years. The main reason for that - IKON pass.

Alterra (as it exists now) has been in real operation for just over a month now (sure they might have been in charge for late spring/summer ops at some of their properties, but this is the just the start). So it's awfully early to claim they're not losing money. I don't doubt that they've sold a lot of Ikon passes, it's a great deal for many consumers. Just like $9 for unlimited movies sounds like a good deal for many consumers. And a lot of those Ikon buyers are excited to use their passes at areas owned by other companies.

Telluride/Vail's $118 estimate seems like a rough benchmark (and you said it's in line with the deals you've heard of), so think about what that means for each Ikon pass.
  • Someone in the Colorado Front Range bought an Ikon Base pass for $600. This season they ski maybe 5 days at Eldora, 10 days at Winter Park, 10 days at Copper, and three days on a little road trip to Jackson Hole. I really doubt they're paying Powdr $118 per day, but if they were that's $1,770. Jackson's a lot more comparable market to Telluride, and if they managed to negotiate $118 per day, then Alterra's paying them $354. Of course not every front range skier is going to follow that exact breakdown, but if the average is in that ballpark, then each Ikon Base sold on the front range might be reported right now as $600 of revenue, but -$1,500 might be more accurate.
  • Someone in Utah bought a full Ikon pass for $800. They used all 7 days at Alta/Snowbird, 3 days at Brighton, and also did a full ski week at Aspen, in addition to skiing Deer Valley and Solitude. Alta and Snowbird are both very protective of their own sales (and their season pass prices have declined as it is); and I think it likely that the delay announcing Solitude's inclusion after the acquisition was due to renegotiation... so I think it's very reasonable to think that Alta/Snowbird are getting something in the ballpark of $118 per day. That's more than $800 right there. Let's just guess and say Brighton's getting $75/day. Aspen's a harder one to guess. It's got the cachet to demand top dollar, but with the Crown company's ownership interests this may well have not been an arms-length deal. If they're getting just $50 per day, then this particular Ikon pass is costing Alterra $601 ($800 selling price - $1,401 to partners).
  • A diehard retiree skier back east might hit Stratton most frequently. But he/she decides to take full advantage of this pass, with 3 days each at Sugarbush, Sunday River, Killington, Tremblant, Mammoth, Squalpine, Alta, Snowbird, Steamboat, Revelstoke, and Taos. That's a lot of Alterra skiing. But it's also 21 days at other areas. If that's 21 x $118, then Alterra's on the hook for $2,478.
  • And of course, there are skiers and riders out there who will buy the pass and never use it, or only use it at Alterra-owned areas. In which case there's no per-day cost.
Now of course, some of these Alterra partnerships are likely structured differently than the Telluride/Vail agreement. But I suspect when everything's tallied up that Alterra will be paying more to its partners than it made in Ikon revenue. Even if they manage to break even or turn a bit of a profit on Ikon, I suspect there's still at least a $20 million hole in their bottom line compared to prior operators' season pass revenue (Cali4nia + Intrawest's share of RMSP + various other areas' season pass sales). If they end up averaging -$200 each on 100k Ikon products, then that's another $20 million gone.

Ikon passholders' ancillary spend helps a lot, of course. But some portion of those visits would have otherwise still occurred, just with day tickets added in. I realize that this is relative chump change for Alterra in the current bubble, but $20 million here, $20 million there... sooner or later you're talking real money. And so far I'm not seeing any of that long-term vision of turning their motley collection of resorts into Aspen-like cash cows.

I have no doubt that Alterra's spinning this well for potential investors. But I kind of assume that the MoviePass folks were also spinning their business well. It's not a perfect comparison, but right now Ikon is looking a lot like AMC selling cheap unlimited movie passes that can be used at Regal or Cinemark, too.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well, that makes a lot of assumptions based on 1 vague number based on 1-sided transactional interviewee's example;
but as counter evidence, there wouldn't made a worse deal than the mountain collective.

If you think instead about the ikon as just a double purchase of a mountain collective and that shouldn't have been a loss-leading product

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bravo, good one, not sure why are you discussing $209/day lift ticket price vs. having a good time at the show jumping practice at the local NYC polo/equestrian club but ... whatever rocks your sailboat .

And honestly, it is getting silly at this point - I am done discussing this, thank you, all in good fun ...
The point about mentioning how everyone chooses to spend their money for their personal entertainment is valid. Example below.

Disneyland 1 day adult pass for tomorrow is $185. Squaw posted online window rate $179. The cost to enter these two places have been almost the same since I started paying attention, like 20+ years ago.

Example:
I had an uncle who was in a very comfortable place financially (I mean *very*). We went to Las Vegas together for an industry trade show and he excused himself for a day to play black jack at one of his favorite spots.
At the end of the day I asked how he did and his reply, "I lost about $3,000.00"
I said, "Wow, that's gotta hurt."
His reply, "Why? I like to play black jack. I had a good time. Some people like to go to Disney World and spend $3,000.00 to ride those silly rides. I don't like to ride silly rides, I like to play black jack."

Uncle Jack was one of my favorite people to travel with back in that part of my life. He knew how to have fun. I miss him.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps Vail is trying to drive more people towards the Epic Pass with crazy-high day rates?

Related Topic: Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 to ski Vail, but that's just personal preference.

I think so. By outpricing working people on the walk up rates but offering a more budget minded option as well as vails purchasing of small midwestern feeding hills would likely create customer loyalty. I bet they buy up more mid sized areas closer to urban areas.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are lots of people who wouldn't blink at $200 a day, and that's who the walkup rates are aimed at. I was in Chamonix last weekend, at the Colmar (Italian brand) store, and two American women dropped $1k in a matter of seconds -- on two parkas and baselayers FOR THEIR YOUNG DAUGHTERS. As we were walking out, we heard the salesman -- gleefully rubbing his hands together behind has back -- say "Do they have warm gloves?" I had a feeling the spending spree was just beginning...

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm glad I never got into golf. A number of my extended family play but I was never interested.

Great family sport. A little expensive (unlike skiing?lol) and if you’re competitive maybe one of the most frustrating sports out there. I introduced my kids to skiing and golf for the same reasons, so we could do things together once all the baseball, football and basketball was done. They are in their 20’s, have intoduced their girlfriends to both sports and we get together a lot to do both, especially golf.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some likely complain while others may very well be happy with it. You don't see me complaining about the cost of skiing. Others do complain. Neither is right or wrong, just a difference of opinion or perspective. Vail alone makes $2 billion a year, so something tells me that there are plenty of people that are not "complaining" about the cost if skiing.

Btw, not sure the French feel the same way as the folks in Norway. That $0.60 tax on gas/diesel did not seem to be very well received. And there are plenty of good places to get a public education in the US - UCLA, UVA, Berkeley, University of Michigan, UNC,...

Higher education is free in France. The gas tax increase would be 12 U.S. cents per gallon and the diesel tax increase would be 24 U.S. cents per gallon. That would have brought diesel taxes in line with gas taxes (they were lowered 15 years ago or so to encourage "clean" diesels. But VW screwed the pooch on that one).

The gilets jaunes here have their heads up their collective asses. They wanted reform, they voted for Macron, who is doing exactly what he said he would do. The French are indeed world class complainers. As an American I wish they could go live in the other 99 percent of the world that doesn't have universal health care, free university education, child care and 5 weeks minimum mandatory paid vacation a year.

(to keep this ski related -- weekly ski pass prices are inching up here, too. Some now over 300 euros per week!. As a data point we paid 750 euros at St. Gervais/Megeve/Les Contamines for a family of four at Xmas week.)

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think so. By outpricing working people on the walk up rates but offering a more budget minded option as well as vails purchasing of small midwestern feeding hills would likely create customer loyalty. I bet they buy up more mid sized areas closer to urban areas.

Vail is not focused on pricing out working people or part-timers or unemployed people. Vail is not out to get anyone. It's about creating a balance/equilibrium that helps Vail offset the more budget offering of the season passes and the risk that buying a ticket shifts from the consumer to the operator. And of course market demand/supply - I am sure they do the simple math.

But I see this everywhere. I buy what you feel is a cheap airline ticket and then find myself having to pay a ridiculous baggage fee. I buy a cheap matinee movie ticket and then pay $6 for popcorn and $5 for bottled water. I get a good deal on a hotel and then find out parking is $50 a night and that internet is $25 a day...

That is the idea right - Vail's growth story is evolving from buying "trophy" fly-to mountains to buying overseas mountains (Australia, Japan,...) to likely buying day and drive-to mountains that serve more local / regional customers. That offers them diversification across most aspects of the business, from demographics (gen x vs baby boomers) to geography (west vs east) on through family composition (singles vs families), disposable income levels (budget oriented vs no expense is spared) and frequency of use (casual vs hard-core).

Last edited: