• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
OK I'm a brown bagger, not only for the costs as its a complete gouge but we like to eat light and often while skiing and the only way to accomplish this is with a pack.
I love the food groups that are offered but the size and cost just don't make sense to me as I came for the skiing experience, not the dining experience.
With that said we brown bagged at the 10th in Vail, and there were quite a few looks, not sure why :ogcool:
I'm surprised that place hasn't been brought up in this thread yet, slippers, robes, boot dryers, white table cloths and Wine lists...Oh my

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
“Reports indicate the marital duo had been on the cusp of reproducing, but then it snowed 2 feet, and everything changed.“

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For reals, though, that's basically me - I would rather indulge in my hobbies than have kids. But I actually recognize this and have made the appropriate decisions.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For reals, though, that's basically me - I would rather indulge in my hobbies than have kids. But I actually recognize this and have made the appropriate decisions.

Nothing wrong with that at all. That’s why they call those types of decisions PERSONAL choices.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nothing wrong with that at all. That’s why they call those types of decisions PERSONAL choices.

When I was in my early 20s, there were a lot of people calling me "selfish" etc for this position (not to mention telling me I'd change my mind). I always found this a strange perspective - if the person thinks I'm selfish, why on earth would they want me to be in the position to raise/damage children with my selfishness?

Anyway, the prevailing view on this in the US seems to have mellowed, and/or I'm hanging out with a more compatible set of people.

To bring it back on topic, it's going to be hard to keep the sport going when you're pricing out the typical non-DINK family. But again, maybe that's not the target demographic.

I do wonder - are all of the summer activities meant to complement the ski aspect, or actually to replace it? It's got to be a lot cheaper to keep one lift running and a zip line running than to pay for lifts and patrollers etc. Of course a lot fewer people, too, but I seem to recall a day pass to the Breck activities at the base of Peak 8 running somewhere around $100/person.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I was in my early 20s, there were a lot of people calling me "selfish" etc for this position (not to mention telling me I'd change my mind). I always found this a strange perspective - if the person thinks I'm selfish, why on earth would they want me to be in the position to raise/damage children with my selfishness?

Anyway, the prevailing view on this in the US seems to have mellowed, and/or I'm hanging out with a more compatible set of people.

To bring it back on topic, it's going to be hard to keep the sport going when you're pricing out the typical non-DINK family. But again, maybe that's not the target demographic.

I do wonder - are all of the summer activities meant to complement the ski aspect, or actually to replace it? It's got to be a lot cheaper to keep one lift running and a zip line running than to pay for lifts and patrollers etc. Of course a lot fewer people, too, but I seem to recall a day pass to the Breck activities at the base of Peak 8 running somewhere around $100/person.

Totally agree, we didn't even think about having kids for 10+ years as we knew that this activity would probably have to take a break, as it did, but I was already out of my 20's by this time

Attachments

• Vail Ticket.jpg
    Vail Ticket.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 10

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't forget Parking!! Yesterday at Vail Parking Garage!

50803413_2421414394535657_4562239631906570240_n.jpg

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Don't forget Parking!! Yesterday at Vail Parking Garage!

50803413_2421414394535657_4562239631906570240_n.jpg

Incorrect !!!

This is the basement parking of the Hotel NEXT TO the parking garage. It is hotel parking for the general public as best as I can tell. You'd be amazed how many people fall into this trap.

Here is the parking info from the Town of Vail. As you can see a typical ski day is $ 30.00

https://www.vailgov.com/Portals/0/docs/Public Works/parking/vail-parking-infrormation-20181113.pdf
For those of you who are unaware the ski area does NOT own the parking garages, the town does.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Incorrect !!!

This is the basement parking of the Hotel NEXT TO the parking garage. It is hotel parking for the general public as best as I can tell. You'd be amazed how many people fall into this trap.

Here is the parking info from the Town of Vail. As you can see a typical ski day is $ 30.00

https://www.vailgov.com/Portals/0/docs/Public Works/parking/vail-parking-infrormation-20181113.pdf
For those of you who are unaware the ski area does NOT own the parking garages, the town does.

Unless the Lots are FULL

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seems like a bargain to me compared to what I pay down the street.

unnamed.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, NYC ....

Well, it's Vail ogsmile Parking rates are going to be high at one the most popular ski resorts in the country/world. Rates are much lower elsewhere.

Unfortunately it is not just NYC. LA, DC, Boston... rates are not cheap either. Here are San Francisco Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf parking rates :eek::
parking-rates-at-the.jpg

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Incorrect !!!

I’m told that a little known fact is that the parking fees collected at Vail do not go to the resort but rather to fund the free bus service in the area

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’m told that a little known fact is that the parking fees collected at Vail do not go to the resort but rather to fund the free bus service in the area

The Vail Transportation Center, aka the garage, IS owned by the Town, and does fund the free bus service, which is a very good one. Zero $$ of that revenue goes to Vail Resorts. All to the Town of Vail. And yes, it's less expensive than the nearby hotels. Spaces turn over pretty quickly, as well.

Now if you want to do it on the cheap, and deal with a different plan, park elsewhere, where you are near a bus stop and ride the bus into town. Fastest is probably to go to the garage, walk up Bridge St, and go to Gondi 1.

Our son lived in Vail for about 5 years. He lived on the other side of the Valley, other side of I-70. Bus service was great, though he had parking, outside for work. The number of cars parked on the road every day, near his condo, with drivers catching the bus was big. Always a few spots, but pretty much lined. Frontage roads were as well. I think they may have tightened up on parking there. Haven't been back in a couple of years.

Surprised nobody has mentioned renting a spot for the season, or buying one. You could always pony up the money to join the Vail Mountain Club, with valet parking in their heated garage. That money does go right to VR. VMC is owned and operated by VR. $275K to join. Close to $10K a year.

Yes, VR is about a lot more than burgers and Epic passes.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We always stay at the Marriott property in West Vail and ride their shuttle into Lions Head.

Muleski

Inactive
We would visit and rent a VRBO condo in the same complex as our son. Like right next door to his place, so that we could spend a lot of time together. Ground level, step off the deck, onto a walkway to the bus stop. Right there. Quick ride to the garage. Worked well. A few times we stayed in Minturn, drove to Vail and parked in the garage. $30 disappears fairly quickly around there. And one of our group might want to switch skis, or get out of boots to walk around the village after skiing, etc. Worked out fine. I don't think it's outlandish, price wise. But we were not doing it 50 plus days a season. And yes, we have been guests at VMC. Not for me. A "necessary business expense" for our friend, no doubt. He could easily take the bus from his home. Not a chance, HaHa. Breakfast, read the Vail Daily, pickup your tuned skis and warm boots. It obviously appeals to a reasonably big number of people. I believe there is a waiting list. It's also astounding to consider the people who belong and use it maybe during 3-4 weeklong visits to Vail, if that. I bet it's a nice asset for VR.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Surprised nobody has mentioned renting a spot for the season, or buying one.

Funny you mention that. My brother (much smarter than me) married into a family who own 3 condos near the center of the town of Vail, and he mentioned to me the family was offered $378,000 by someone who wanted to buy one of the their underground parking spaces. The family turned the offer down, which says a bit about how precious parking is in Vail.

And, I believe you can get a discount off the regular parking garage rates if you can demonstrate residency in Vail.

Muleski

Inactive
Funny you mention that. My brother (much smarter than me) married into a family who own 3 condos near the center of the town of Vail, and he mentioned to me the family was offered $378,000 by someone who wanted to buy one of the their underground parking spaces. The family turned the offer down, which says a bit about how precious parking is in Vail.

I believe that Sarah Schleper's dad, Buzz, sold his extra space at this shop, outdoors {I think}, for $500K. Manor Vail, across the street from SSCV, the ski club, also has indoor parking and a number of those parking spots have sold for huge prices, like you mention. Number of the condos came with two. Some people will pay a ton for access and convenience. A parking space for the season is always a very big ticket and popular item in various Vail charity auctions. I have no idea if you can rent monthly in the Town's garage, or what the price would be. "A lot....."