Colorado Vail passes the $200 ticket window price

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Tricia, Jan 2, 2019.

1. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

2. Nathanvg

Nathanvg Putting on skis Skier

I don't have any problem with Disney raising prices because there are lots of other theme parks and there are minimal barrier to building another theme park. The problem with skiing is new ski areas have massive barriers to entry, especially if they want to similarly sized to the major ski areas. I'm not a fan of a lot of legislation but it might be a good thing if the forest service added requirements related to max day ticket pricing.

3. LKLA

LKLA Out on the slopes Skier

Not sure I follow your logic - Whether a business has a barrier to entry or not would not seem to have much to do with a consumer having a problem or not with a price increase.

There are indeed massive barriers to opening a new ski area. Massive is likely an understatement. But, that does not mean that there are massive barriers to owning one. Alterra/IKON would be a recent example. Last year there were 472 ski areas in operation in the US. I am sure that if you wanted to get into the business that you could find a few sellers (motivated sellers at that). Jay Peak comes to mind.

If anything, ski areas also have massive barriers to expand / grow / make improvements, which are usually also very costly and time consuming and take a long time to recover the investment. As such you could argue that they have more of a "right" to increase prices.

4. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

Are theme parks not massively expensive? Are there a lot of them being built? And either way ... when you want to build something with a high barrier to entry, isn't VC the solution? I suspect, though, that neither theme parks nor ski resorts are a big enough payoff to draw VC.

5. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

I don't care what they charge. It's like complaining about the price of rooms at the 4 seasons because you're too good to stay at the holiday inn. Or that Wagyu burger meat went up to $25/pound. I had to look up the spelling of Wagyu; think I'll have some Coors Light and Costco New York Strip tonight.

RuleMiHa likes this.

6. LKLA

The amusement park business is truly a duopoly - Disney and Universal owned parks account for approximately 70% of all amusement park visits. Add SeaWorld, and it's closer to 80%.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I think this was in effect at Copper over Xmas week (well, week after Xmas) -- the Secret Pass comes with a lot (all?) of Copper's lodging options, and I went to the gondola line thinking it didn't look all that long. Well, the regular line wasn't, but the Secret Pass line was streaming people (obviously tourists, not passholders who have upgraded) through and it ended up being at least a 30-min wait for the rest of us. I haven't stood in a 30-min lift line (barring broken lifts) in forever.

8. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

That's especially bad if the line doesn't look like a 30 minute line, but it becomes one.

I'm curious about all these "priority" type of options with regard to lines. Do they ever hold off the Secret Pass holders from boarding right away? If not, and if enough people had Secret Passes, then the "regular" line would never get on the lift. Maybe that's just never occurred, but it's a weird system.

The same would apply to people taking lessons... if there were enough of them, only people taking lessons would ever get on the lift.

9. LKLA

I don't think you need to worry - it's the absolute minority of skiers who have those types of passes, just like very few passengers have executive platinum status on an airline. As soon as it gets beyond the "optimal level" they do something to make it go below the "optimal level" - increase prices usually being one the first things they do.

10. dbostedo

Good point... if that many people bought Secret Passes, they'd probably raise the price or stop including it with lodging so easily.

11. LKLA

I thought you had your own personal line - straight to the heated gondola with mini bar ogwink

12. dbostedo

I prefer the heated bubble chair and a 6-pack, so I don't have to take my skis off.

13. LKLA

No no no - YOU don't have to take your skis off! Someone does that for you.

Decreed_It and raytseng like this.
  14. dbostedo

Well, actually... I have a plethora of skis waiting for me at the top so they don't get marred going in and out of the gondola carriers. Instead I simply step out of the gondola cabin and straight into a fresh pair of skis. Have the valet hand me my poles, and I'm good to go. I think when I'm done with the skis at the bottom, they go ahead and donate them or something.

15. LKLA

"Every run is on a different pair of skis, but it's not because of hard conditions but the cold conditions," Marcel Hirscher said. "Snow crystals get really sharp when temperatures go to -20 degrees and the base burns. It's the same as lighting fire and burning your base because the snow crystals get such sharp edges."

16. dbostedo

Psshaw... Olympians. It's not frivolous if you have a real reason for new skis. How gauche.

17. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

It depends on the terms. At Breck, the lesson line does not actually take you directly ahead of everyone else - there are several lanes that merge, and one is dedicated to the ski school. The ski school lane should skip at least one merge point. But it would never be the case that ski school just gets to cut infinitely - they still alternate with others. For example, at the T Bar, there are lines to either side. The two sides, left and right, alternate. Within each side, ski school has one of the lanes that merges. Once your lane merges, you're just like any other skier. So maybe ski school skips one or two merges, but still has one or two merges to get on the T bar. And it's quite likely that the lane itself is empty or only has a few people in it, so there's that advantage, as well.

18. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

Yep. I was at Universal Hollywood & Disneyland mid-October, and the crowds were outrageous. Not to mention that Universal was selling separate crazy-expensive day and night tickets, and Disneyland Park did the same one of the days I was there (though they were already sold out of the night tickets, and at least California Adventure had a full schedule available). We've similarly heard plenty of reports about I-70 resorts being way too crowded--pricing is a good lever to try to ration such in-demand experiences.

What, Keystone Light and hamburger aren't good enough for you, @Wilhelmson ? You're so fancy!

dbostedo likes this.
  19. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

At Bretton Woods the secret pass is a benefit of being a member of the eponymous Bretton Woods Club. Members have a dedicated exclusive lane that goes right to the lift. There are various levels of membership but the ski tier costs something like $5,000 a year which let's them cut the lift lines, provides preferred parking, and use of the pool (everyone else just sneaks into the pool at the hotel anyways). It was never much of an annoyance because on any given day there were only a few members in the fast lane and they weren't pushy about the privilege except on very busy days. Similar at Mt Tremblant where again there weren't enough people in the fast lane to make much of a difference.

20. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Oh, they alternate in some fashion. As do ski schools. I couldn't exactly tell with the gondola line, something like letting in two or three Secret groups and then a regular group, but I would imagine they adjust on the basis of the length of the Secret line. Just a guess. But it is only a single-file line, and it wouldn't look good to have it extending out past the maze.