• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recall being shocked when a day ticket passed $100.00, but now Vail and Beaver Creek day ticket during holiday season is $209.00 :eek:

Aspen is still holding out at $179.00

I'll admit, I skied 2 days during black out time at Squaw this past week, because friends were in town and really wanted to ski with me.
One day was with @socalgal, and her family. They got me a comp ticket for the day. The second day I used a 50% off voucher I got from a ski instructor friend. @jwaltz. The ticket window price for half off was still $90.00. I won't be doing that again.
I feel like the passes we've been buying to cover a variety of resorts have made me out of touch with window prices.

From the Aspen Times
Vail’s single-day, window lift ticket price hits $209; Aspen at $179
The $200 barrier for a walk-up ski lift ticket was broken for the first time by Vail Mountain and Beaver Creek this season, according to industry sources.

Vail and Beaver Creek are charging $209 per day for a walk-up window ticket, according to their website. The price is reduced to $199 if purchased online.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
While the walk-up ticket price gets a lot of attention, I'd like to know what the percentage of skiers is who ever pay that rate.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
While the walk-up ticket price gets a lot of attention, I'd like to know what the percentage of skiers is who ever pay that rate.

Very few i’m sure but that’s not the problem. So many people see the IKON and Epic passes as great deals that increase skier choice when in reality if you now want to ever ski an Alterra or Vail property you basically have to buy a $1000 pass.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure about the actual walk up full price purchase percentage is, I used to be amazed when I'd eat lunch in the village at Northstar and watch the long lines of people waiting to buy(or pick up) tickets at the window.
These could easily be discount ticket vouchers or pre purchased tickets on line for a lower rate, but still.....long lines indicate that many people still buy day tickets.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Luckily there are options for someone who only skis or rides a few days a year. Smaller ski areas, 4-packs, online advance purchases, etc. But for the serious skier, the pass options have almost made the cost of lift access trivial. I average a little over $10/day on my Killington pass. Can't buy lunch for that.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

I think you would be amazed how many people just pay it while on vacation. paging @tam for commentary if she's able to,

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WOW. I guess I've been in denial all my life, but maybe skiing is a rich mans sport? :(

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, $200+ is a lot for a day of skiing but still much cheaper than a round of golf at Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, etc.
You golf?
:eek:
CriminalRightDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WOW. I guess I've been in denial all my life, but maybe skiing is a rich mans sport? :(
It can't be or most of the ski bums I know wouldn't be doing it.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is that these resorts also offer packages for beginners that include lift tickets, rentals and lessons.
One such package at Squaw is the perfect progression program.
Here are the details:
https://squawalpine.com/perfect-progression-program
For only $499, you can:
  • Participate in 3 beginner lessons at Alpine Meadows that will ease you into skiing or snowboarding. Taught by experienced instructors, these 3 classes are tailored to build skills in new skiers and riders and will give you the opportunity to meet new friends at the same level as you.
  • Receive a FREE pair of gloves and FREE goggles to use during your lessons.
  • Receive a one-time 30% discount at Estelle Sports in case you need anything else.
  • Receive 3 lunch vouchers with a value of $18 to use on each of your 3 included lesson days.
  • Receive free lift access and free rentals with your 3 lessons
Once you complete your 3 Beginner Lessons, you get:
  • A complimentary Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows 2018-2019 season pass, with no restrictions, available exclusively for participants of this program.
  • Rentals for the season, valid at both Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley.
  • 50% off on Group Lessons for the season, valid at both Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
A LOT more than you might think!

Vail does a total of approximately $2 billion in sales a year:
  • $880 million in lift revenue
  • $190 million in lessons revenue
  • $160 million in food & beverage revenue
  • $300 million in retail revenue
  • $195 million in miscellaneous revenue
  • $285 million in lodging revenue
Approximately 45% of lift revenue comes from selling season passes (47% in 2018, 43% in 2017, 40% in 2016).

That means ticket sales likely account for the balance, or 55% of "lift sales". That is approximately $485 million in lift ticket sales.

Taking a look at the price of an adult one day ticket for Saturday, January 26th (Stowe $100, Whistler $105, Breckenridge $147, Beaver $161, Northstar $129, Canyons $139), the average price is around $130.

That means Vail sells approximately 3.7 million day / window / online tickets a year.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A LOT more than you might think!

Vail does a total of approximately $2 billion in sales a year:
  • $880 million in lift revenue
  • $190 million in lessons revenue
  • $160 million in food & beverage revenue
  • $300 million in retail revenue
  • $195 million in miscellaneous revenue
  • $285 million in lodging revenue
Approximately 45% of lift revenue comes from selling season passes (47% in 2018, 43% in 2017, 40% in 2016).

That means ticket sales likely account for the balance, or over 55% of "lift sales". That is approximately $485 million in lift ticket sales.

Taking a look at the price of an adult one day ticket for Saturday, January 26th (Stowe $100, Whistler $105, Breckenridge $147, Beaver $161, Northstar $129, Canyons $139), the average price is around $130.

That means Vail sells approximately 3.7 million day / window / online tickets a year.
:doh:

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It can't be or most of the ski bums I know wouldn't be doing it.

One thing I didn't mention earlier is that these resorts also offer packages for beginners that include lift tickets, rentals and lessons.
One such package at Squaw is the perfect progression program.
Here are the details:
https://squawalpine.com/perfect-progression-program
For only $499, you can:
  • Participate in 3 beginner lessons at Alpine Meadows that will ease you into skiing or snowboarding. Taught by experienced instructors, these 3 classes are tailored to build skills in new skiers and riders and will give you the opportunity to meet new friends at the same level as you.
  • Receive a FREE pair of gloves and FREE goggles to use during your lessons.
  • Receive a one-time 30% discount at Estelle Sports in case you need anything else.
  • Receive 3 lunch vouchers with a value of $18 to use on each of your 3 included lesson days.
  • Receive free lift access and free rentals with your 3 lessons
Once you complete your 3 Beginner Lessons, you get:
  • A complimentary Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows 2018-2019 season pass, with no restrictions, available exclusively for participants of this program.
  • Rentals for the season, valid at both Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley.
  • 50% off on Group Lessons for the season, valid at both Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley.
Really though this is almost like a teaser rate for cable or the like. Lower price to start, to get you hooked on skiing. Then, you want to do it again cause it was super fun:daffy:, but the next season you come, here's that exorbitant walk up lift price. Sure there are options to pay less, but not all beginner skiers are that savvy.

Also, sure you can be a ski bum on the cheap, but again for the casual vacation skier we need to acknowledge that the $$$ barrier to entry is high. Drive/fly several hours, hotel/condo, gear rental, liftie, mountain food & this is all usually at peak pricing during breaks & long weekends. Got a wife & 3 kids? Multiply that $ by 4 or 5.With so many other entertainment options that are much cheaper (cable tv comes to mind!) It's no wonder skiing is predominantly a rich man's sport.
Yep, $200+ is a lot for a day of skiing but still much cheaper than a round of golf at Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, etc.
Also, trying to saying skiing isn't expensive by comparing it to greens fees @ Pebble Beach? One of the most exclusive places to play another rich man's "sport." Come on...:doh: Edit: on 2nd thought, maybe this was sarcasm? I hope it was sarcasm! :D

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant's lift ticket over the holidays is $109 + taxes. Taxes can be rounded off to 20% for easy multiplication... That's around $130. What is a round of golf these days at a top course?

Lots of IKON passes this past week and lots of cars/trucks from the eastern seaboard. Florida to NY plates all around!!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also, trying to saying skiing isn't expensive by comparing it to greens fees @ Pebble Beach? One of the most exclusive places to play another rich man's "sport." Come on...:doh:
Why is that a bad comparison?

A skier can opt to ski at a high end resort like Beaver Creek or Aspen or go to a smaller hill like Loveland or A-Basin.
For Tahoe, there are great affordable ski options like Mt Rose, and Diamond Peak as an alternative to places like Squaw and Northstar.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, trying to saying skiing isn't expensive by comparing it to greens fees @ Pebble Beach? One of the most exclusive places to play another rich man's "sport." Come on...:doh:

Didn’t say skiing wasn’t expensive, it is. But, other activities are just as expensive if you pay walk-up prices. Jumping the shark to exclusivity was your call. Greens fees at many of the premium public golf courses are well above $200. Vail/Beaver Creek are premium/destination areas the same as golf courses.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In my time in ski area management I was blown away by the purchase of FULL price ticket and ski school pricing bought by the walk up client.
More insane are those who would come even later than 1/2 day and drop insane amounts of cash to put a loved one out on the hill.
My favorite was is in the rain or on the last day of the year for a never ever to “just try it”

Wonder if the 1/2 day Vail private lesson is still sub ~ $ 1000, such a bargain !

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I have heard anecdotally that this holiday season at Squaw the resort was down several thousand skiers/riders compared to last year, but that most of those who did go on the mountain paid the full window price. Squaw/Alpine no longer have half day tickets.

Sponsor

Staff online