• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Volkl 100Eight vs Kastle BMX 105

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Aww thank you! We are leaving tomorrow for Snowmass, where I will ski for 2 days, so it's a short trip. I am hoping conditions warrant skiing on BMX 105 for the whole trip, so hopefully I want need the narrower skis! :crossfingers: So far :snow: conditions have been perfect for BMX and will be today I think!
Skis should be at your house when you arrive home.

TS
Olesya C

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Skis should be at your house when you arrive home.
Sounds great! Thank you! I told my husband skis may be delivered while I'm gone, he is at home so he will receive them. I can't wait to ski 178 cm POTUS!

Matt Yeager

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can anyone help me with the difference between the Kastle FX 95 HP and the BMX 105 HP. I own the 95 but would like to get something a bit wider for one ski to take out west to Big Sky and Jackson Hole.

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
Can anyone help me with the difference between the Kastle FX 95 HP and the BMX 105 HP. I own the 95 but would like to get something a bit wider for one ski to take out west to Big Sky and Jackson Hole.
Hi Matt,
I now own the 95HP in 181 and have skied the BMX105 HP twice, spoken to others who have demo'd or own it as well. I also own a BMX115.
The differences are pretty subtle between the two skis and the 105's are incredibly quick edge to edge for their width - ski like a mid high 90's ski and work at slow and high speeds. They will be an easy transition with more float and soft snow performance. They are IMHO the best ski in the FX BMX line. So if you like your FX95 you'll love em. I would say that they are also a bit easier to ski than the FX, they strain the leash a bit less but are still very good at high speeds. Turn initiation is also a bit more positive on the 105. Fair bit of overlap with your 95's but for what you've asked for them seem perfect. Size them the same as your FX if you jump up a size think twice about whether you really want/need the HP. The 189 is way more ski than the 181 - as is the case with the FX as well which I know first hand it's a GUN.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

@Matt Yeager it might be a good idea to create a new thread with your question as I suspect people aren't seeing it here.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Just curious why a Kastle HP ski seems to be so good in powder. For me powder skis have always been about flex (and 2 sheets out titanal are NOT helpful in powder...) and release, which where tip and tail rocker are very helpful (Kastle tails is great in all sorts of snow but may be still too substantial in real powder). You can manage a wid-ish stout ski in real powder if it is short, which could be something that is going on here, but I would always refer a softer longer ski with more rocker for those conditions. I recently had a few days skiing an FX95HP in real powder, and while being passable and even capable, they were way less enjoyable than my softer wider more rocker'y 112RPs in the same type of conditions. On the Kastles It was first time when I felt that I was running out of strength in the middle of a long run. 112RPs would have been almost automatic all the way.

105HP seems to be a very "popular" freeride competition ski (and I totally understand why because its a damp predictable crud blaster that it almost impossible to knock off-course- precisely what you need in a comp ski), but that I would not call a powder ski skill set ...

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Matt Yeager-

Should be almost the same. Same construction, very similar shape. The 105 has the same tip taper, but becuase it is wider it is less noticeable. IMO the differences between 105HP and 95HP are not big enough to justify spending another $1K+ if you already own one or another. 95 is more than adequate on a big western mountain unless it has dumped 10-inches+, which is when you would want a different ski than 105HP anyway (think a long 5-point or flat camber softer ski).

ChrisJ

Booting up
Skier
To Alexn's point and with a nod to powder performance I tend to agree that the Non HP will be the better of the two skis in soft conditions especially if your skiing resorts with lower density snow. They have plenty of performance just a touch softer lighter and less effort. I think their more fun in good conditions and more moderate speeds but a tad less versatile as a wide all mountain ski. yellowgentian has a good review on the HP and non HP. For me I would just bring 2 pairs of skis the 95's and something over 110mm and more pow specific - BMX 115, Automatic/ backland 117 or DPS etc. Then you also have a better quiver back home to.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last season had BMX105-HP 181 along for 2 week-long ski trips, and this season I briefly had FX95-HP 181.
I found both to be just a bit too much ski. They weren't as quick / nimble underfoot as I would have liked ( travel ski purposes )
( FYI I'm 5'9" 170 lbs )

Fast forward to today where I just got on my new BMX105 non-HP 181cm for the very first time.
I started with 3 runs on SR95 183, 3 runs on Motive 95ti 180, then onto my BMX105 for another 2.5 hours.
They were everything I hoped they would be -> still plenty damp, good edge hold on hard groomers, light & nimble underfoot, and a very nice durable topsheet.

Too bad not more chat / reviews / skier-comments on the non-HP FX & BMX series.
The vast majority of FX & BMX that I have seen on the slopes in the last 2 season have been HP's.

Reactions: KJL

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid