• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah/Sun Valley 12/26 - 12/31

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I had purchased Mountain Collective passes for the family in the spring, I had decided awhile ago on a multi-destination post Christmas trip. For those that don't know us, my wife is a terminal slow groomer skier while my 13 y/o daughter and 10 y/o son have each been on skis since they were 2 and will generally go anywhere with me at this point even if they don't have the best form. I bought flights to SLC in early fall when prices dropped over the holidays for a short time. I figured I could make cancellable hotel reservations at a variety of places and make a last minute decision on where exactly we would go. I hoped Sun Valley would have decent conditions as I had never been there and I figured it would be good for our family. With a good December all over the west, I decided to start in SLC and finish in Sun Valley.

We flew out of Philly Christmas afternoon on a relatively uneventful flight to SLC through Charlotte. We stayed at the Crystal Inn in Midvale which had slightly larger than normal rooms and a good breakfast.

Saturday 12/26 - Alta - First day of the season for us. I hoped to avoid that scenario but summer in December in the east put a damper on those plans. Thanks to the favorable timezone change, we had no trouble getting to Alta early with a close parking spot at the GMD to redeem our Mountain Collective and get in the Collins line a few minutes before the 9:15 opening. With me in new Zipfits, my wife in new boots, the first groomer runs down and up Sugarloaf were a bit of an adventure. After the huge storm earlier in the week, much terrain was still closed. It was odd seeing all of the untouched snow on the Backside. We did a Supreme run and a few more Sugarloafs before lunch at Alfs. Then we went back ofter to the Collins side. Did a run off of Wildcat and came back up Collins to see a huge line just starting the Ballroom traverse which had just opened. Other than a 5 minute wait at opening, we didn't see another lift line all day. It was a very cold day which probably helped things. Anyone that wasn't inside must have been waiting for that Ballroom opening. We finished up back on the Sugarloaf side, where I missed the opening of the terrain on the lower section under the lift while the rest of the family returned to Alfs for a hot chocolate refill. I was done by that point so we called it a day.

Sunday 12/27 - Snowbird - We got an early start again and boarded Gadzoom before the scheduled 9:00 start. It was another very cold morning. I had read that portions of Mineral Basin had opened the previous day and hoped that we could get there from Little Cloud but that was not to be, so we took Regulator Johnson, past the mid-mountain restaurant and all the way down to the Peruvian chair and up to get through the tunnel to Mineral Basin and finally some sun and warmth. Skiing down Lupine Loop I saw good snow in what I now know is Chamonix Bowl, so I convinced the kids to head out there the next lap. We all struggled a bit in the somewhat steep cut up powder, but my son and it was good so we hit it again. We were going to get an early lunch at the 1 day old Summit lodge, but as we were coming down we saw that they had opened Baldy, so we headed to that with hopes of some low angle powder. Unfortunately, there was enough of a wind slab/crust to make it not as fun as what we had been skiing, so we headed into lunch after that. The Summit is a great addition to Snowbird. The food is better than anything else I've eaten there. The portion of beef brisket (plus sides) they gave me was huge. At about $20, it was also pricey - I would have been happy with half the portion at 2/3 the price. After lunch, I took the kids back to Chamonix Bowl. Each time we'd take a slightly different entrance and the snow was still great in there. And still no holiday lift lines to be found. Not sure what happened at that point, but I was in some pretty serious foot pain with the new Zipfits. We headed back down Chips to take a rest back at Creekside but I decided additional skiing wasn't worth it with 4 more planned days on the trip, so we called it an early day.

Monday 12/28 - Brighton - Our non-Mountain Collective day. I thought it would be a good place for us because my wife could ski the grooomers while the kids and I could hit the trees in between. That part worked out very well. Apparently everyone else in the Salt Lake valley had the same idea as we finally found the holiday hordes. The line to rent equipment went all around the lodge, up and down stairs. The base Crest and Majestic lifts the lines were so long it was hard to move around the base area. Even so, we were able to get in quite a few runs. It was good to get into the trees again even if none of us were skiing them all that well. We spent most of our time on Crest and Snake Creek with one run on Great Western. We never made it over to Milly. Coverage in the trees was good - it was especially noticeable when my son and I were skiers left of Snake Creek which has often had exposed hazards when I've been in there in previous years but we found very little poking through. It turned into our longest day so far - not so convenient since we were driving straight to Sun Valley after skiing, but we all had such a good day it was hard to stop. I was happy my foot issues from the previous day did not continue.

(Sorry, no pics for the Utah portion)

Last edited:
TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The drive from Brighton to Sun Valley took us almost exactly 5 hours with a gas stop and fast food to go for dinner. The 80 MPH speed limit on most of the portion on I-84 lets you cover some ground fast. I wouldn't want to do the drive in bad weather though as I'm sure it would extend it quite a bit.

In Sun Valley we stayed at the Best Western Tyrolean Lodge which is just on the other side of the River Run parking lot. Good price, great location and very good breakfast. The only real drawback was that the rooms were a bit small. We were able to walk into Ketchum for dinner in less than 10 minutes which was certainly preferable to dealing with the traffic and parking situation there. Although with the cold temps, those were some very cold walks.

Tuesday 12/29 - Sun Valley - Again we arrived early to get our Mountain Collective passes. The process was very easy at the River Run lodge. Also, noticeable was the similarity to the Snowbasin lodges given the shared ownership - just beautiful buildings. We got in the line for the gondola just before it opened and were riding up a few minutes after that. Light snow was falling and it was again quite cold, so I decided to follow the suggestion an instructor in the gondola had for his group of 2 to start in the easier Seattle Ridge area given the trees lining those trails to help with visibility. We hit each of the groomers in that area and some bumps and cut up powder along the side. One thing I heard about this mountain was the consistent pitch and it is certainly true. The green runs have as much consistent pitch of any place I can think of and they get tougher from there. The groomed runs were certainly a challenge for my wife. We took a few runs down the Christmas Bowl area before we had lunch at the Rendezvous lodge which is a beautiful old building with fine dining. I was a bit disappointed with the fish I chose for lunch - I probably should have tried to convince someone to have fondue (which seemed to be there specialty) with me. But it was a good experience. And if you get the chocolate custard dessert, make sure you have someone to share it with - it's huge! After lunch we headed back up to the top as the visibility started to improve. The snow in the bowls was very nice with only small bumps starting to form. We stayed up there for most of the afternoon until skiing all the way down to the bottom to finish. The crowds along the way produced some pretty scraped off conditions lower down that took a toll on my tired legs.

Christmas 2015 008.JPG Christmas 2015 010.JPG Christmas 2015 012.JPG Christmas 2015 020.JPG

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wednesday 12/30 - Sun Valley - It was another cold morning as we again got in the gondola line just as it opened. The plan was to ski the Warm Springs or Frenchman's area that we had missed the day before, but the sun up high in the bowls area convinced us to start over there instead. When I eventually attempted to head towards the Frenchman's area, I took a wrong turn and we ended up heading to (not-so) Warm Springs. As we got to the bottom, we saw some racers training which led me to demonstrate some one footed skiing - or what happens when you catch an edge doing so which led to my first good fall of the season. The kids enjoyed that for sure. The sun doesn't seem to get over to this area much, and the lift ride back up on Challenger is quite a long one at 10 minutes on a cold day like this, so we pretty much gave up on this area at that point and headed back to the sunny bowls on top. We did lunch at the top of Seattle Ridge - my huge baked potato topped with everything, plus clam chowder was very good. For the afternoon, we were going to head back to the other side, but as we made our way my wife took a couple falls, including one on a fairly scraped off Canyon so she decided to call it a day and my daughter went with her. My son and I tried some south facing stuff lookers right of the Lookout Express. The trees and snow on top were good, but as we got down lower and it was more south exposed, the snow got a bit of a crust to it that was much less enjoyable. So we went back up to the top to finish our day there. By this time, he was pretty much waiting for me on every run as I would stop and rest several times.

Christmas 2015 086.JPG Christmas 2015 102.JPG Christmas 2015 105.JPG Christmas 2015 107.JPG

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thursday 12/31 - Sun Valley - It was getting colder every morning. And on this day, it seemed to get colder as the morning progressed. Again we started on top where the sun was shining brightly. Thankfully there was no wind or else it would have been unbearable. The bumps in high traffic areas were getting bigger by this point in the week which wasn't helping my sore legs any. Eventually we decided to try the Warm Springs area again but stopped at the Lookout Lodge for a warmup prior to the expected long cold run. We ate lunch over there and also finally got to the Frenchman's area as well. The kids and I enjoyed the bumps on the blue Can-Can run. They also liked the kids "Adventure Runs" which are scattered around the mountain which are tree runs specifically designed for kids. As we went back up to the top again, my wife decided to ski down to the Gondola again while the kids and I did a few more runs before getting in another fairly full day. Unfortunately, the long drive back to Salt Lake before an early morning flight on Friday awaited.

Christmas 2015 115.JPG Christmas 2015 117.JPG Christmas 2015 127.JPG Christmas 2015 129.JPG Christmas 2015 132.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have GOT to get to Sun Valley and my Snowbasin pass allows me 3 free days there. Sounds like you all had a really nice trip!

LOL your wife and I have the same OR jacket.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have GOT to get to Sun Valley and my Snowbasin pass allows me 3 free days there. Sounds like you all had a really nice trip!

That's actually my daughter. But she is taller than my wife at this point. :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's actually my daughter. But she is taller than my wife at this point. :)
Oh, my bad! Well, she has a nice jacket :D I'm hoping that mine will eventually be able to ski with my husband and me and am torturing her with lessons at a young age (she's 8) and have been doing so since she was 3. I really think she'll thank me in 10 years or so. Right now, she'd rather stay home and build lego sets.

It's a wonderful family activity and it's great that your kids seem to enjoy it with you!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Your kids are shredding!

@Philpug and I really need to get to Sun Valley

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Nice write up Scott and I'm going to use the photos of your kids as extra motivation for Michel.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We found a new cover shot for our Facebook page! Thanks @SKI-3PO.

gardenmary

Late-in-life ski bum
Skier
Sun Valley is at the top of my bucket list. I'm really hoping next winter will be the year; I'll likely have a Snowbasin pass again and would totally be up for a trip from the Ogden area.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great trip report,Scott
Can't believe your kids are so big now. They were tiny the last time our family skied together.

And yes, Sun Valley is a must.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Scott,
What a great family trip. Thanks for sharing with the community. I smiled at your son beating you down the mountain...you are always way ahead of me. He got some good DNA.

JamesLetourneau

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

We live up in Pocatello, but keep a condo near Snowbasin and have passes as well. We've taken a couple trips to SunValley, Ketchum is a great town and the mountain has great terrain. And they actually have some snow this year, last year it wasn't even worth skiing, we just ate and drank our way around Ketchum. We also stayed at the Tyrolian and had a good experience.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We live up in Pocatello, but keep a condo near Snowbasin and have passes as well. We've taken a couple trips to SunValley, Ketchum is a great town and the mountain has great terrain. And they actually have some snow this year, last year it wasn't even worth skiing, we just ate and drank our way around Ketchum. We also stayed at the Tyrolian and had a good experience.
I know, they have tons of snow this year! Makes me want to head up there during spring break!

Sponsor

Staff online