• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Unfortunately this week’s storm is pretty light, and nothing in the forecast until maybe Nov 8th at the earliest. Still good to see the white stuff.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly the best start to a season in the 6 seasons I’ve lived here, but I have learned not to get too excited.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Yeah, that’s what I mean. Pretty light Tuesday and then nothing in the forecast for maybe 12 days (Nov 7-8th).

If we do end up getting a foot over the next two days that would be nice (most forecasts I’ve seen say nothing Monday, 2” Tuesday for cottonwoods), but without a follow up storm or two we aren’t going to see any early openings. We are still nearly a month out, so a long dry spell will just leave faceted, really old ice.

Don’t get me wrong, still nice to see the white stuff. Just seems like a bit of a false start with the long string of sun coming up.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @Started at 53 ... should this be, or did you intend this to be, the seasonal weather, conditions, and stoke thread for Utah? (I don't see another one out there yet, so this could be.)

If so, I'm going to suggest we change the title to something more full season.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey @Started at 53 ... should this be, or did you intend this to be, the seasonal weather, conditions, and stoke thread for Utah? (I don't see another one out there yet, so this could be.)

If so, I'm going to suggest we change the title to something more full season.

that was the meaning of the thread, so yes

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snow Guns are blazing at DV, so I am happy. The cold weather is all that is needed for me.... But for those that crave powder and off piste skiing, you are right @nesneros it is not great in the near term

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What we really need are consistent cold temps to freeze the ground. Right now, the forecast is for up to a foot in the northern Wasatch (hello, Snowbasin) but the ground is just not cold enough yet.

If it DOES snow that much up here, I'm going to take my bike with the 2.6 wide tires out and give it a whirl FOLLOWING a friend on a fatbike! :D Does Mother Nature not know that we need two more weeks of biking weather, THEN it can start dumping?!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Throwing up the batsignal to 100k of my best Ikon buddies.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Throwing up the batsignal to 100k of my best Ikon buddies.
You're aiming low this year. I would have thout you were going for at least 150k of your IKON buddies plus no Epic buddies?

You have me concerned fatbob. I hope you're not aiming so low due to Brexit problems.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Not allowed to talk about that multiyear festival of lies, asshattery and self-harming here...
It's not all bad. At least England beat New Zealand in rugby world cup. Plus if you still ski your typical 120 days here, it still works out as a bargain even with your lower exchange rate at the moment

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Don’t get me wrong, still nice to see the white stuff. Just seems like a bit of a false start with the long string of sun coming up.

I agree - it wouldn't shock me if we hit 70 degrees next week in the valley!!
12F when I got up this morning & colder forecast for the coming days. I'm not too worried about the ground being frozen, my toes are just from taking the trash to the curb.

Snowbasin claims they cranked up their guns the other day. Seems to me with the forecast temps this week they could be open by the weekend if they wanted but they won't :huh:.

Facets could be a real issue, as they are most years. This does not only apply to the backcountry but some of the better inbounds skiing too. Many years areas like Middle Bowl Cirque at Snowbasin will rip to the ground every time avalanche reduction work is done. Best thing that could happen is some of those 70 degree temps & some rain before the consistent snow comes.

These photos are from 2012, there was like 3' of blower & we were skiing waist deep for a couple of days skinning at Pow Mow. After that I went to visit my dad in Cali, when I flew back a week later it was 70F in SLC & all the snow was gone. Not saying that is going to happen this year but I don't think the 2012-13 season turned out to be all that great. Reality is that it will be what it will be.
October 24, 2012
PM Oct. 24, 2012 1.jpg

October 25, 2012 PM Oct. 25, 2012.jpg

I'll be keeping my eyes on Brighton, they have a history of getting things going. If these temps stay cold as predicted I won't be surprised if they get open soon, maybe Solitude not far behind. Personally, I would like to still be riding my bike in shorts than pecking on the keyboard but I'll take what I get.
:crossfingers:

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
There’s a cold snap now for sure. I don’t recall when Halloween was last this cold. Brighton is predicting -10F on Wednesday morning, then warming up into the 40’s for the 8-10 days after.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
12F when I got up this morning & colder forecast for the coming days. I'm not too worried about the ground being frozen, my toes are just from taking the trash to the curb.

Snowbasin claims they cranked up their guns the other day. Seems to me with the forecast temps this week they could be open by the weekend if they wanted but they won't :huh:.

Facets could be a real issue, as they are most years. This does not only apply to the backcountry but some of the better inbounds skiing too. Many years areas like Middle Bowl Cirque at Snowbasin will rip to the ground every time avalanche reduction work is done. Best thing that could happen is some of those 70 degree temps & some rain before the consistent snow comes.

These photos are from 2012, there was like 3' of blower & we were skiing waist deep for a couple of days skinning at Pow Mow. After that I went to visit my dad in Cali, when I flew back a week later it was 70F in SLC & all the snow was gone. Not saying that is going to happen this year but I don't think the 2012-13 season turned out to be all that great. Reality is that it will be what it will be.
October 24, 2012
View attachment 83212

October 25, 2012 View attachment 83213

I'll be keeping my eyes on Brighton, they have a history of getting things going. If these temps stay cold as predicted I won't be surprised if they get open soon, maybe Solitude not far behind. Personally, I would like to still be riding my bike in shorts than pecking on the keyboard but I'll take what I get.
:crossfingers:
Targhee opening November 22. Join us? They are getting a ton of snow already.
As to biking-- we attempted to ride around the neighborhood this afternoon and FROZE. Not enough head and hand warmth. Debating how much we want to invest in warmer bike gear...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Targhee opening November 22. Join us? They are getting a ton of snow already.
As to biking-- we attempted to ride around the neighborhood this afternoon and FROZE. Not enough head and hand warmth. Debating how much we want to invest in warmer bike gear...
LOL, I went for a hike dressed pretty warm. I was cold for the first 5 or 10 minutes then I was fine. Never shed any layers though.
OV walkabout.jpg
Unless you are gonna get a fat bike & ride in the snow, I don't think it would be worth investing in specialized cold weather bike gear. You must have plenty of stuff that would work.

I think I get some free Targhee days with my Pow Mow pass but need to book Targhee lodging, 50% off early season :huh:. Looks like a good deal.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL, I went for a hike dressed pretty warm. I was cold for the first 5 or 10 minutes then I was fine. Never shed any layers though.
View attachment 83230
Unless you are gonna get a fat bike & ride in the snow, I don't think it would be worth investing in specialized cold weather bike gear. You must have plenty of stuff that would work.

I think I get some free Targhee days with my Pow Mow pass but need to book Targhee lodging, 50% off early season :huh:. Looks like a good deal.
Teton Valley Cabins. The 50% off at the resort is not cancelable. We might go that route if there are rooms still available one week out. It's fun to stay up there and the food at the Trap Bar is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor