• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Other 2 ideas relate to more bus service (more frequent busses and expanded parking and dedicated bus lane.

The avy control towers are towers that have charges on them that get detonated remotely. See links below.

Very cool :ogcool:. I was not aware of the Wyssen tower...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other 2 ideas relate to more bus service (more frequent busses and expanded parking and dedicated bus lane.

The avy control towers are towers that have charges on them that get detonated remotely. See links below.

I don't think @Philpug realized you posted this hear. He has started a thread of its own about the traffic ideas for LCC.

Also in that news story was the opeing of summer activities at Snowbird on June 12th.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Well, let's see what happens with the PCMR parking lots. Vail sold them to a developer who I am sure will be using the land for condos. Theoretically they could build parking garages to help limit the amount of parking that will disappear although I'm sure it will be paid parking. Disappointed that Vail sold the PCMR parking. Whatever comes or it, you can bet it won't be customer friendly.

A shame, because I'm one of the three people on Pugski that actually likes the skiing at PCMR. But I sure won't bother to go if I have to pay for parking.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, let's see what happens with the PCMR parking lots. Vail sold them to a developer who I am sure will be using the land for condos. Theoretically they could build parking garages to help limit the amount of parking that will disappear although I'm sure it will be paid parking. Disappointed that Vail sold the PCMR parking. Whatever comes or it, you can bet it won't be customer friendly.

A shame, because I'm one of the three people on Pugski that actually likes the skiing at PCMR. But I sure won't bother to go if I have to pay.

Are they talking about lots around Payday lift and/or over by Canyons cabriolet? The relatively copious free parking near ski lifts at Park City has certainly been a nice feature for day-visitors coming over to ski from SLC. Would be sorry to see it go away. Sounds like ground breaking for new development on the lots could still be a year or two away?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Are they talking about lots around Payday lift and/or over by Canyons cabriolet? The relatively copious free parking near ski lifts at Park City has certainly been a nice feature for day-visitors coming over to ski from SLC. Would be sorry to see it go away. Sounds like ground breaking for new development on the lots could still be a year or two away?
Both!! Vail literally sold all of their PCMR parking!! Yes, sorry to see it go away as PCMR easily had the easiest parking of the major northern utah resorts. Sadly, that will likely not be the case once the developer gets around to developing the lots.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hiked up to Hidden Peak with my wife from the car park at Entry 2 yesterday morning. Judging by the number of vehicles there and the lack of the usual activities and venues present at the Tram Plaza and surrounding area, Snowbird was pretty subdued two weeks into their summer operations. The mountain coaster, zip lines, and alpine slide are open, as well as Chickadee and the Tram. Peruvian was still closed, with plans to open it later this summer. The Tram capacity is restricted to 25 passengers and no bikes are allowed, so there are quite a few changes from past years/decades. The Summit Restaurant is closed but the building is open for restroom usage and water refills/consumption.

1. This snow bridge over a mid-mountain stream has almost completely rotted out.
2. Still significant snow depths in favored locations. This is upslope of the upper Peruvian lift station and the northern end of the Basshole.
3. Numerous sharks in Pipeline have surfaced and the apron is melting out.
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2518.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Perhaps not the correct thread but anyway....
I’m from Australia. I’m planning for a season on skis. I have lodging (relatives) in Mill Creek in SLC. It’s not on the ski bus line to my knowledge. I would mainly be skiing Alta/Snowbird.
Car rental is expensive. Any hints on how to do this? Uber each morning to the ski bus stop? Thanks in advance.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Perhaps not the correct thread but anyway....
I’m from Australia. I’m planning for a season on skis. I have lodging (relatives) in Mill Creek in SLC. It’s not on the ski bus line to my knowledge. I would mainly be skiing Alta/Snowbird.
Car rental is expensive. Any hints on how to do this? Uber each morning to the ski bus stop? Thanks in advance.
Buy a cheap car and sell it at end of season.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Any hints on how to do this? Uber each morning to the ski bus stop?
It may be helpful to give a landmark near where your relative lives in Mill Creek. My wife and I were able to get from SLC airport to Snowbird lodging using public transportation for $2.50 each (ski bus was free with Ikon). The biggest hassle was changing light rail lines near Downtown. Besides having to wait 10-15 minutes, we went from train with platform level floor to one with a few steps so when the train came, I had to quickly get wheeled double ski bag and other luggage onto it. I think a homeless guy helped. The transfer at Historic Sandy Station was easier and quicker, but note that we were going up in afternoon when bus only had a couple of other passengers.

From 3900S in Mill Creek, you can take the 39 bus to the Meadowbrook light rail station. Then take light rail South to Midvale Fort Union Station or Historic Sandy Station where you catch the ski bus. Would be not be much fun to do very often, especially if carrying skis, and whether carrying or wearing boots, and everything else you may need for the day. And the bus and light rail to catch the ski bus adds 30 mins to the 45 minute ski bus. Could you get your relative to drive you to light rail station or ski bus or loan you their car on days they don't need it?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Would be not be much fun to do very often, especially if carrying skis, and whether carrying or wearing boots, and everything else you may need for the day. And the bus and light rail to catch the ski bus adds 30 mins to the 45 minute ski bus. Could you get your relative to drive you to light rail station or ski bus or loan you their car on days they don't need it?
Living in Millcreek for a ski season without a car would plain suck. On top of major PITA even if you could figure out how to make public transport work for skiing, there is still dealing with the rest of the time. Unless he literally wants to live the eat, ski, sleep, repeat mantra.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks gents.
I am thinking buying a car is the only real option.
You’ve got to pay to play I guess.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Doesn't have to be that way. Buy an affordable car and then sell at end of season. You won't be out much doing it that way.
Sure. That’s my point. A suitable rental will cost over $10000aud for the season. I figure I could get my wife’s aunt to purchase a vehicle for us for about US $10000. We’d probably sell it for $8000 a few months later.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Might at least be worth inquiring - I hear Mark Miller Subaru rents cars. If it were something like $25-30/day for four months (Dec-March) to get a Crosstrek or similar that might be worth considering.

Right now Avis is telling me they’d rent me an SUV from Dec-March for $40/day, with a pop up saying “sign up for emails to save 30% off your reservation”.

Rental or not, I think you’ll find the utility of having a vehicle to be preferable to planning public transit for everything during the winter.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Might at least be worth inquiring - I hear Mark Miller Subaru rents cars. If it were something like $25-30/day for four months (Dec-March) to get a Crosstrek or similar that might be worth considering.

Right now Avis is telling me they’d rent me an SUV from Dec-March for $40/day, with a pop up saying “sign up for emails to save 30% off your reservation”.

Rental or not, I think you’ll find the utility of having a vehicle to be preferable to planning public transit for everything during the winter.
Not a bad idea although by the time you pay taxes and other fees the rental car agencies like to tack on it will be very tough to find anything for less than $50 a day and even that would be very lucky to find.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Wow!! I don't think I've experienced wind like that where I live in Utah before. It literally uprooted a huge pine tree in my backyard (Cottonwood Heights) and snapped an aspen tree at its base. Big aspen trees were swaying like rubber.

Fortunately the downed pine and aspen trees fell in a good place. Not over yet, but hopefully no other major damage occurs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200908_074749.jpg
    IMG_20200908_074749.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200908_094753.jpg
    IMG_20200908_094753.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 10

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1599587278961.png
Snowing at Alta today.
Time to start the "2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online