• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amateur Kodak courage is probably all it is. But the fact that they had a drone operating with skilled camera tracking could imply a premeditated undertaking by a professional or quasi professional bunch going up there for a photo/video shoot?
That's what I've been wondering. I've said this 100 times--if people want to go out endanger THEMSELVES, well, then go for it. But right now, they will be putting others at risk (will they even be rescued? Will Weber search and rescue come?) Then, if seriously injured, will they be treated? And if they are treated, will they be taking up valuable hospital bed space?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Easy for you maybe ;).
It is a pretty steep exposed climb even from the top of the tram. Many pitfalls if you make a wrong move. I have seen more than a couple of people become totally gripped up there :geek: .

Kodak courage has been threatening lives for a long time.
Well, easy compared to hiking from the bottom! Short maybe would have been a better adjective.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
no, Mount Ogden Chute is outside the ski area boundary. There is a gate at the top of the tram that allows access to the upper ridge. Patrol determines if that gate is open or closed. There are some intricate rules that need to be followed to be able to ski the terrain off of that ridge legally as you are re-entering the Ski area when you ski it. Took me years to figure it all out and sometimes I am still not sure. there was a short time for a couple of years when that terrain was actually in bounds.
Since avalanches off that ridge could possibly enter ski area boundary, patrol does do avalanche reduction work there when deemed necessary.
@ZionPow can correct me if I am wrong.

You are absolutely correct. It is a very confusing area of out of bounds terrain. Patrol performs avy mitigation on the ridge every storm because it can slide on in-bounds terrain that we like to keep open (Mt. Ogden Road). The confusing part is that the ridge itself can be open to allow safe access to Porky Cirque and Race Start Chutes yet the Fingers and Mt. Ogden Chutes can be closed if the Lower Mt. Ogden Bowl gate is closed. This is to prevent guests from skiing into closed avy terrain in Mt. Ogden Bowl. The avalauncher just above the top of JP lift shoots down many slides that cover Mt. Ogden Road. I was told that yesterdays slide video was shot by a drone and the guests had to hike up there. No way they got a snomo ride.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are absolutely correct. It is a very confusing area of out of bounds terrain. Patrol performs avy mitigation on the ridge every storm because it can slide on in-bounds terrain that we like to keep open (Mt. Ogden Road). The confusing part is that the ridge itself can be open to allow safe access to Porky Cirque and Race Start Chutes yet the Fingers and Mt. Ogden Chutes can be closed if the Lower Mt. Ogden Bowl gate is closed. This is to prevent guests from skiing into closed avy terrain in Mt. Ogden Bowl. The avalauncher just above the top of JP lift shoots down many slides that cover Mt. Ogden Road. I was told that yesterdays slide video was shot by a drone and the guests had to hike up there. No way they got a snomo ride.
Thanks to you and @4ster for explaining this complex issue.

Personally I am shocked that people were getting into main chute so soon after such a large storm.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally I am shocked that people were getting into main chute so soon after such a large storm.
The 2 pieces of terrain where the Saturday avalanches occurred, Mt Ogden chute and No Name Mitigation Route 4, would normally remained closed for a day or more after a 35" storm like we just had. This is to allow the snowpack to settle and the new snow to bond to the old snow layers. Patrol would not even venture into those areas without digging snow study test pits, explosive testing and very controlled ski cutting. Then a decision would be made based on the results of the pits and testing whether the terrain is safe to open. I have no idea how people justified going in those areas the day after a 35" storm with obvious wind loading:huh:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is a good move IMO.
How are you holding up?
I don’t know if it is a good move or not. I was up there for a few laps yesterday & all seemed fine.
5DFB1E8A-10D0-4F23-A17B-81ED7AC904DD.jpeg

D43FA34A-768E-45AF-BA52-070690DC0EDE.jpeg

8231B5D9-E312-49A3-8866-3D3FE1FDD461.jpeg
There were people there but all seemed to be staying in their own small groups, at least from what I could see. Vehicle parking even seemed to be well spaced out. I suppose in the spirit of people remaining shut in their homes or not traveling long-distances it makes sense. Pow Mow is also at the top of a very steep winding road & an emergency involving a lot of people could get chaotic.
I imagine Snowbasin will be next. Are you ready to replace PE with checkers and chess?

I have been a socially distant somewhat obsessive compulsive germaphobe for a while now, so my adjustment has not been that difficult so far ;). I am more than two weeks into it and so far, so good. Getting a little stir crazy at times but as long as I can get out in the fresh air for a few hours each day it’s not too bad... yet. Take that away & I think we will all go nuts!
How's it going for you?

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know if it is a good move or not. I was up there for a few laps yesterday & all seemed fine.
View attachment 98346

View attachment 98344

View attachment 98345
There were people there but all seemed to be staying in their own small groups, at least from what I could see. Vehicle parking even seemed to be well spaced out. I suppose in the spirit of people remaining shut in their homes or not traveling long-distances it makes sense. Pow Mow is also at the top of a very steep winding road & an emergency involving a lot of people could get chaotic.
I imagine Snowbasin will be next. Are you ready to replace PE with checkers and chess?

I have been a socially distant somewhat obsessive compulsive germaphobe for a while now, so my adjustment has not been that difficult so far ;). I am more than two weeks into it and so far, so good. Getting a little stir crazy at times but as long as I can get out in the fresh air for a few hours each day it’s not too bad... yet. Take that away & I think we will all go nuts!
How's it going for you?
That looks awesome. The issue (as you well know) isn't people like you who know what you are doing, it's the others.

We are going a bit stir crazy. @utskier is still having to work. I consider it a blessing and a curse. They do work far apart from each other, but still share tools and stuff.

PE is going to be a bike ride around the neighborhood today. It's really nice to live in a rural community with decent roads to ride on that aren't heavily traveled. I definitely need to get outside and this weather isn't helping, although I am grateful for the sun peaking through periodically.

4ster

Instructor
Spring is a battle between summer & winter :ogbiggrin:. Doesn't look like it is going to makes its mind up in the foreseeable future. Go about our daily biz but carry raincoat or umbrella & hope for the best is all we can do. Heck your from the PNW, this is nothing ;) .

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Spring is a battle between summer & winter :ogbiggrin:. Doesn't look like it is going to makes its mind up in the foreseeable future. Go about our daily biz but carry raincoat or umbrella & hope for the best is all we can do. Heck your from the PNW, this is nothing ;) .
Yep, I'm definitely not afraid to put on the GoreTex and go for a walk! Or a hike, for that matter.

4ster

Instructor
We played golf today... and will tomorrow, and Wednesday... Snowshoeing again on Thursday as the forecast for Thursday is a bit cold for golf
The golf course up here opened on Friday with some restrictions. No golf carts, no pulling the pin, no ball washers, no on course restroom, no range or range balls & maintain social distancing. You can also pay by phone if you do not want to go into the clubhouse to swipe your card. There may be more but those are the ones I can remember reading.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The golf course up here opened on Friday with some restrictions. No golf carts, no pulling the pin, no ball washers, no on course restroom, no range or range balls & maintain social distancing. You can also pay by phone if you do not want to go into the clubhouse to swipe your card. There may be more but those are the ones I can remember reading.
No carts here (only the Par 3 course is open so far), the cups are raised about 1 1/2” above the surface to keep the ball from going into the hole so no need to take the flag out. Now the FREAKING elk ran across the 7th (7th of 12 holes for a par of 36) when we were not he 7th tee. Did a bunch of damage to the green too. Played well today, shot 5 under and should have been 7 under. I did miss a green tho :doh: I am 12 under for the three “rounds“ I have played so far this year. I am off to a good start this year:yahoo:

IF ONLY SKIING WAS AS EASY :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January