• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Headed up LCC yesterday . amazing Sundog in the sky (which surely predicts monster storms are coming!) IMG_E0579.JPG

we skinned up Alta under Collins lift . good workout , shitty snow. all in all it beat not skiing!!! great to be in the mountains.

IMG_E0584.JPG

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty significant changes to the BCC & LCC ski bus system this year: https://cwc.utah.gov/skibus/
Highlights include increased frequency, removing service to the Bingham Jct Trax station, removing service to the LCC Park & Ride Lot and turning it into a carpool-only Park & Ride, and tearing out the ski racks.

For bus experts, this is probably good news. For visitors/occasional users, I'm not so sure. You get to either hold your poles & skis/board along with your boots, or else you can hold your poles & skis/board while still wearing your boots and slipping around on the wet floor. Adding extra standing room means that many more people cramming in to do their wet juggling act, and that much more likely that one of them is going to drop their gear on you.

Thanks for posting this. I've been going back and forth on whether to keep my rental car reservation or rely on the bus system when I'm there during Feb school vacation. Good data to have for the decision.

Now we just need it to start snowing more out there!

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
High pressure is weakening, but big storms in the Wasatch continue to look unlikely in the next 10+ days.

:facepalm:

from Evan at Open Snow

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, just read that from Evan. I think I'm getting black lung from the pollution...

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
A few weeks ago there were giant mounds of snow being made. Now it’s looking pretty sad

14AF53F9-2A81-422F-8711-41B015A4C6CB.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
All of those beautiful mounds DV made, turning to slush...

Whales can hold up to some heat (like 30s and 40s) for quite a while... snow is actually a really good insulator. So the outside is probably bad, but overall they'll probably hold up, especially if it starts getting cold at night again.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Whales can hold up to some heat (like 30s and 40s) for quite a while... snow is actually a really good insulator. So the outside is probably bad, but overall they'll probably hold up, especially if it starts getting cold at night again.
+1^
That's why they leave it in the whales till they need it, not much will be lost. The earlier photo of City Hill at Snowbasin is a place where they haven't made much, if any snow yet. The whales on the beginner run are still there even though I don't think they've turned the guns on much, if at all in the past few weeks. Even the inch or two around my house took 2 weeks to melt if it was in the shade.
From Sardine Pk. yesterday...
SB 11-15-19.jpg
Hope it at least gets cold cuz there's not nearly enough to open anything but maybe Little Cat :(

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Oh I don’t mean to complain. I just posted the snowbasin photo (needles gondola cam) because that was a spot where they were making snow and had a large mound a few weeks ago, where the small circle is now. Should be getting colder again soon, just wish the momentum could have kept up, if we aren’t going to get real snow!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is really depressing. And the new normal, per Evan at Open Snow. Dry Novembers and later and later openings.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Alta has pushed back planned opening from Nov 23 to Nov 29 according to Snow Brains. Not a good sign.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Utah looks like it could break the record for least snow in the month of November. 0” so far this month. The record low is 12”. Evan from OSnow gives it a 50/50 chance.

It can certainly turn around, but it looks like the early part of the season will not be there at the resorts.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I stopped by the base after our ride today. Lots of jibbers enjoying the nice whales. What snow they have made does not appear to be going anywhere.
Worst case scenario, looks like they could open the little cat beginner run without much problem. The interest is certainly there, I bet if they put a few park features in they could make a killing if they were open right now…
DC7D03DF-23CE-4AFF-BADF-38A7129FAE5A.jpeg

283B9945-0D32-49EC-A49E-F7CA6DFA000D.jpeg

C604A607-1A3A-4966-8998-EC93EA1BF48F.jpeg

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
Looks like Alta pushback to 29th is official per their website. Maybe Brighton as well based on their lift ticket calendar.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I know Evan didn’t mention too much about this, but on Sunday evening the forecast I usually look at gradually took the Thanksgiving storm (Nov 25-27) from 0.5” in the Cottonwoods to 8+”, and this Wednesday’s storm also bumped from a 1” day to a 4” day.

Grasping at straws but let’s hope these storms progress. At the very least it looks like temps will drop significantly for snow making.

506CB2F0-17AA-49F3-8C7F-058B79E41008.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
KSL reported higher snow totals than what Evan is forecasting, too. End of the day--they never really know. I do know that this the hardest time of year for me! We usually feed our stoke with a trip to Targhee for opening weekend, and have pushed that back a week and are STILL wondering if they'll have enough snow.

At least it's going to get colder so the WROD can be made here, as much as I loathe the WROD. No snowmaking at Targhee, however, so crossing fingers they get a few decent storms in the next week or so.

nesneros

Needs another base grind
Skier
I’m hearing rumors that Brighton opens tomorrow.

Edit- confirmed via Brighton’s Facebook

Double edit - and Solitude just pushed back to the 29th as well.. Brighton opens early and everyone else pushes back, go figure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.