• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is all great info. I really appreciate the insights. The terrain for the Raintree cat looks amazing. I think we skipped the cat last time bec there was snow everywhere and pple were nowhere to be found.

Here's one more for ya! Recommendations with current conditions... 110's (Line Sick Days = Big Fun in the soft stuff) 106's (J Skis The Metal = Fun in the chop and hardpack/windblown so so in the deep stuff, still haven't really had enough time to bond w/ this ski and figure out it's sweet spot) or ~100's (Bones = Blizzard Bonafides = my East coast GoTo ski, blow through anything hard/chop/crud, so so in the deep, speed limit = optional)

I'm strongly leaning towards going bigger w/ the 110's just bec I LOVE these in deep pow, super fun ski and they work on just about everything but ice and hardpack groomers. Am I off on this one?

Well, as usual, check the forecast. One of the fun (to me) things about PowMow is skiing off piste long after a storm. Very few places get moguls, instead you get to ski a lot variable snow conditions, dependent upon the aspect. I'd think the Bones and The Metal would be fantastic in that type of snow. Of course, if we're in a storm cycle, the Sick Day 110's would be money!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's good news, @tromano

Also glad to see they are trying to alleviate the rock slide area by the Pineview spillway by moving that section of the highway. I can't imagine how many flat tires that small section has caused.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t think this $8 million project will make the road less steep but any improvement to make it safer is good.

Also glad to see they are trying to alleviate the rock slide area by the Pineview spillway by moving that section of the highway. I can't imagine how many flat tires that small section has caused.
[/QUOTE]
I once tore the sidewall of my tire on a rock there which was unrepairable. If the tires hadn’t been almost brand new it would have cost me 4 new ones. Luckily we were able to find a match and I only had to buy one. I have also been slammed on the roof of the car with a pretty big rock that left a good dent. One in the windshield as well that left a good mark but did not crack.
For many years I tried to avoid that route until they moved the elementary school to the Eden side of the lake. The school & busses make that route take a bit longer so I find myself going around the dam side more often.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Sleeper legit pow day at the Solitude and it looks like it is going off at Alta too from this little wave.

I was the first person into Cathedral cirque from the Summit gate...wow. Multiple Honeycomb pow laps. Parachute was floating.

View attachment 90975

Railing challenger w 4-6 inches of fresh on it was a blast yesterday .

I did lap after lap off the honeycomb return face through the Navarone gate. that was really really good and hardly any tracks in there!

great sleeper pow day

4ster

Instructor
Sleeper legit pow day at the Solitude and it looks like it is going off at Alta too from this little wave.

I was the first person into Cathedral cirque from the Summit gate...wow. Multiple Honeycomb pow laps. Parachute was floating.

View attachment 90975

Railing challenger w 4-6 inches of fresh on it was a blast yesterday .

I did lap after lap off the honeycomb return face through the Navarone gate. that was really really good and hardly any tracks in there!

great sleeper pow day
Same deal at Snowbasin yesterday. if you could stay on the north aspect it’s skied much deeper than it was. It kept snowing till after noon and not too crowded, sorta reminded me of the good old days.
with a couple of inches this morning up at powder Mountain, I think I am going to try that today. Looks like only a dusting at Snowbasin.
If I was closer to LCC I would head up there. It looks like they got a good refresher going on.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Will be skiing SLC Feb 10-13. We bought some cheap Brighton tickets off liftopia. Does anyone know if they offer a Solbright upgrade once we get there?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How's the drive from Park City to Pwder Mtn? I did it eons ago and no issues. Years later, had to turn around as there was a HUGE storm........

4ster

Instructor
How's the drive from Park City to Pwder Mtn? I did it eons ago and no issues. Years later, had to turn around as there was a HUGE storm........
The worst part of that drive will be the powder Mountain Road. Time-wise my guess would be 1hr 15min to 1:45 depending on weather. once you get past Snowbasin it is freeway most of the way without rush-hour traffic. The worst traffic will be in Park city itself.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
You will want to take I-80 East out of Park City to I-84 West and then up Trapper's Loop (can't recall the highway number) into the Huntsville/Eden area. Then up the goat trail know as the Pow Mow road. You could drive down Parley's Canyon into the SLC area and get on I-15 North but I'd imagine that would be a bit longer. Watch for Bald Eagles along I-84. Lots of them up there in the winter.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stealth opening of Fantasy Ridge at Solitude was legit. No pics because my phone died...booooo. I skied an easier line anyway because I haven't skied anything steep in years and I still need to get a helmet if rowdy times are to be had.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
good skiing at DV yesterday - crowds were low and the snow was great everywhere.
We found some awesome snow in the hike to Ontario bowl.

Sundance usually makes for shorter lines on the slopes.

The real lines were at the resorts where an hour wait for a table was the norm and these places were full of people that have never strapped on a pair of skis in their life . they're just there for the $30 cocktails.

traffic getting out of town sucked. the whole world was outside around 4pm .

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great day at Snowbird and Alta. I got to hook up with bushpilot and another guy and we wore our asses out! I'm still hoping to get to experience Utah powder on this trip as today's dense snow felt like I was back in Tahoe or Mammoth....but no complaints as it was a fantastic day!
We have been getting a lot of that lately.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
@surfandski for how warm it was the previous days, cold smoke wouldn't have covered up the frozen mess below. Though not super deep, tonight is looking better.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
We've found the snow has been very good everywhere here in Utah so far given these warmer temps. Definitely better than the snow we encountered at Big Sky last week.

Speaking of Big Sky, what are some good shops around SLC to get base repairs done that don't charge a ton? There was a lot of gravel groomed into quite a few of the runs so pretty much all but our powder skis could use some work. Thanks!

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@surfandski usually get my base grinds done at the snowbasin shop in earl's lodge or at diamond peak in Eden. Keep going back so that's a recommendation. I am sure there are closer places in SLC that can run a base grind.

But TBH I don't get a grind unless I need other repairs like a base weld or to refresh sctucture in the spring. A few gouges or edge nicks from gravel are no big deal for a soft snow ski in its intended use case.

Status
Not open for further replies.