• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UTAH IKON Looking for Ski School and Instructor Recommendations

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I will be in Utah for two weeks skiing at the Ikon resorts. I started skiing 5 years ago when I took a lesson. I haven't taken a lesson since. I can pretty much ski anything except for the extreme stuff. I would like to work on my form and technique and become more confortable in the trees. Any recommendations for which resort would be the best? I would have liked to take one of those week long clinics but the timing doesn't work for the dates I am there. Also any particular instructors I should request?

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm probably not the best to provide recommendations for the area, but it would probably be helpful to define exactly what "extreme stuff" means to you.

Off the bat, Snowbird does seem to have a good variety of terrain with trees if you want to work on that. (But again, it's possible I'm misjudging, because what I was looking for when there a couple years ago is not necessarily the same thing you're looking for.)

TS
bushpilot

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
Hucking cliffs, corbets, double blacks in extreme locations are what I would consider the extreme stuff. Single blacks are fine and I can get down them. I probably don't look very good doing it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, snowbird or alta, both have expert terrain.
If you don't have $$$$ for a private, I don't think you will be able to request an instructor. I think you should prepare through and be very clear on what your goals and questions so your instructor can help you get the most out of your time.

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
If and When you get to Alta, sign up for the afternoon “clinics’s” their best instructors are assigned to that program, Give them specific info of what you would like to work on, and they will pair you up with a couple of people, do a ski off if necessary.. and off you go.

Almost all the people I’ve watched in the ski off have been fairly strong skiers with reasonable but high goals.

They very often have the same instructors on that program for consecutive days and you can ask them. Maybe they will be back for two or three days so sometime you can get them for a second day.

Usually there are one or two groups going out, most of the times I’ve watch the “lineup” it’s been real good ratios. 2-3 clients to an instructor. Maybe 4 if it’s a group of people that know each other.

Its a great value.

DC

TS
bushpilot

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
If and When you get to Alta, sign up for the afternoon “clinics’s” their best instructors are assigned to that program, Give them specific info of what you would like to work on, and they will pair you up with a couple of people, do a ski off if necessary.. and off you go.

Almost all the people I’ve watched in the ski off have been fairly strong skiers with reasonable but high goals.

They very often have the same instructors on that program for consecutive days and you can ask them. Maybe they will be back for two or three days so sometime you can get them for a second day.

Usually there are one or two groups going out, most of the times I’ve watch the “lineup” it’s been real good ratios. 2-3 clients to an instructor. Maybe 4 if it’s a group of people that know each other.

Its a great value.

DC
That sounds pretty good. I couldn’t find anything on their website. Do you have a link or know how much it costs?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January