• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Using Metal-Grip, P-Tex and a soldering iron to repair a core shot

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Old thread, but I am doing this soon. When using a regular soldering iron, do you set the temp to rather low? I did a bit of reading and it seems like soldering irons get a bit too hot for PTEX. Thanks for any help, @Doug Briggs , @Atomicman and others!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Short answer: no. Metal grip takes a lot of heat and has to be pretty near liquid to bond to the metal *and* the ptex. The steel edge sucks away heat.

Protecting the base material therefore reduces to getting the patch shape right and supplying heat through the metal grip and only indirectly to the base material patch.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Short answer: no. Metal grip takes a lot of heat and has to be pretty near liquid to bond to the metal *and* the ptex. The steel edge sucks away heat.

Protecting the base material therefore reduces to getting the patch shape right and supplying heat through the metal grip and only indirectly to the base material patch.

Thank you, that's good to know. How about the temp to melt the ptex you are applying?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Old thread, but I am doing this soon. When using a regular soldering iron, do you set the temp to rather low? I did a bit of reading and it seems like soldering irons get a bit too hot for PTEX. Thanks for any help, @Doug Briggs , @Atomicman and others!
I set the temp pretty high for the metal grip. I will run the iron on the edge alone to help heat it up as I go. I turn it down for the p-tex. In either case, you aren't likely to melt the original p-tex. It has a different melting point.

If you are getting smoke, then turn it down. I don't know what the temps are but the gold mark at 2:30 is for the metal grip, the silver at 12:00 is for the p-tex.

IMG_20230601_195713113.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online