• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Using a heating pad as a boot heater

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would like to add some details that may be of interest to those considering using a heating pad as a boot warmer. You can use a regular boot bag but I bought a 50 can collapsible cooler ($19 on end of season clearance) and it is big enough for helmet, gloves, etc and keeps things toasty because it’s insulated. The heating pad is 24” x 36” which is big enough to wrap the front and sides of the boots. To avoid the risk of overheating boots and liners I measured the pad temperature with a meat thermometer. With the fabric cover removed, medium heat was 120 degrees F and therefore safe. For example, Intuition liners mould at 119 degrees C. The heating pad is a regular 110 V pad which allows it to be plugged in at home. For the SUV, the pad operates off a cheap 175 watt inverter. Since the pad only draws 50 amps max, there is no overload on the power outlet.

TS
Castle Dave

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the feedback
Oops - 50 watts it is. 50 amps would be catastrophic.
I have an old pad without a timer but overnight would probably be overkill anyway. I turn it on an hour before I leave plus 45 minutes to the hill and it's all good.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
If staying in a hotel where the washroom is equipped with a hair dryer, this device can also be used as boot dryer. It is also usually small enough.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
car seat heating pad works great,plugs into power outlet in car and stick it in your boot bag and presto warm boots on the drive to mountain. cheap hack instead of a expensive heated boot bag

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone ever try throwing a couple of air-activated hand warmers inside a boot then stuff gloves into boot opening cuff first to hold heat in? Seems like that would heat-up boot and gloves while avoiding the need for wires/plugs.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
car seat heating pad works great,plugs into power outlet in car and stick it in your boot bag and presto warm boots on the drive to mountain. cheap hack instead of a expensive heated boot bag
I also tried this hack. I was keeping it on the bottom of the cargo area in the back of the Forester and putting two boot bags on top of it side by side. There's a DC power port back there I plugged it in to. Worked OK, but just OK. Better than nothing, but nowhere near as warm as a full blown heated boot bag delivers.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ever try throwing a couple of air-activated hand warmers inside a boot then stuff gloves into boot opening cuff first to hold heat in? Seems like that would heat-up boot and gloves while avoiding the need for wires/plugs.
This is similar to what we do. We stuff the chemical warmers in the boots on the ride up to the lodge, and then transfer the warmers to the gloves/mittens while booting up. This usually only on colder than 20F mornings. On warmer mornings, doesn't feel needed.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I literally have used all the above techniques for harming boots. I then went out and bought a Thermal Trekker at half off last spring and never looked back. At that price it was to hard not to get.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I literally have used all the above techniques for harming boots. I then went out and bought a Thermal Trekker at half off last spring and never looked back. At that price it was to hard not to get.
I'll never be convinced that heating boots to 100 or so degrees over and over and over doesn't degrade the integrity of the plastic, both liners and shells over time. Still worth it since dealing with boots is the least pleasant aspect to skiing IMHO.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll never be convinced that heating boots to 100 or so degrees over and over and over doesn't degrade the integrity of the plastic, both liners and shells over time. Still worth it since dealing with boots is the least pleasant aspect to skiing IMHO.
I wouldn't be surprised.
My Raptors punches seem to disappear over time and the bag could be contributing to that. With my Salomon boots the heating doesn't appear to be effecting the molding(so far). A few times I have just put the liners in the bag...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Almost what I do.

I've got a cheap, uninsulated boot bag (Amazon something or other), and my wife made me a pair of "bean bags" (actually filled with rice) that fit in the boots. I put them in the microwave for two minutes, slip them into the boots, roll my gloves into cylinders, and place them in the top of the boots.

Feet slip right in, 45 minutes later in the parking lot. So easy.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I seem to remember posting something like this about a year or two ago. The car seat heating pad was a little over $20.00 and I think a link to that pad was part of the post. Just thought it was a reasonable option to an expensive heated boot bag.

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Many years ago I would just place my boots in the passenger foot-well and point the openings towards the heater outlet. After the 3 hr drive to Tahoe, they were nice and toasty. Front seat passangers weren't so crazy abt it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've used the front seat foot-well, and the motel hair dryers; now I have a pair of these:
PSA -- recommend leaving them home on trips to Europe; they don't play well with 230V (very glad my wife suggested I check on them after about 45 mins, damn near burned my hands badly. boots fortunately survived)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid