International (Europe/Japan/NZ/Au) Urner Haute Route - 2019

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by jmeb, Mar 14, 2019.

1. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

Today I make my second attempt to get across the pond, to ski the Urner haute route from Andermatt to Engelberg Switzerland. This isn't the classic haute route from Cham to Zermatt, but is of the same mindset of hut-to-hut touring across incredible terrain. The Urner variation emphasizes high quality, demanding ski descents as it travels up south-facing slopes and down steep northern terrain -- hopefully holding good snow.

My trip is being led by Dan, the owner of Andermatt guides. An overview of the trip is here: http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/urner-haute-route.html . For the 5 days of skiing and 4 nights of lodging with half board the trip runs just 1240CHF, which is about the same in USD at this point.

I'll add background to this post as time permits.

James likes this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

Day 1 trip report.

1700 flights canceled at DIA. Mine shows on time until well after I needed to travel.

Empty commuter train to the airport.
    AB3528A8-3725-4F48-A28C-A2A1A082F7F1.jpeg

80mph gusts mean no one is going through security.
    64179FDF-EC33-4183-9877-46F3DA125D80.jpeg

Sad bag awaits more travel news.
    4C172E95-E08B-4E8D-A30E-FA141DDF6778.jpeg

Wait a few more hours for any way to leave the airport as the train back to the city is shut down. Find old neighbors and good friends also stranded. Drink a few beers to regain some merriment. Head home to try it all over again.
    75507419-F079-4FF4-9A6B-9DE9DB6FC58C.jpeg

3. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

What will the delay do to your hut trip?

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

As long as I make flight soon I’ll be okay. I scheduled a few days of skiing lift-assisted before departure.

Currently enjoying a very British queue:
    “when I get home the very first thing I’m doing is making myself a nice cuppa tea. And if there is no milk in the fridge....”

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

@Dwight / @Philpug / @Tricia / @SBrown -- anyway I can get long-term edit permissions to the first post so I can update with additional info as time permits.