• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A few announcements this week.

Marquette Mountain is under new management. Season passes and day passes will be decreased.
Season passes go on sale July first starting at $250. Day passes will be sold at $25 a ticket.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com...ement-and-making-major-changes-486365541.html

Now if they can make more snow so they are open more, that would be great.​

Tyrol Basin Ski & Snowboard Area
June 22 at 5:30 PM ·
Tyrol Basin 18/19 Season Passes will go on sale July 1st @ 8AM for the lowest price we have ever offered! This will be a one day flash sale. Do not miss out!

The Facebook page has an updated logo. I know they were looking for new owners too. Haven't officially heard anything, but I'm guessing there are some new owners or management.​

Whitecap Mountains Ski Resort

20 hrs ·
Hello #whitecapnation!!!! After several months of negotiations I am happy to announce that we have reached an agreement with the financial institution that WC has been dealing with for over 40 years. This latest development clears the way for a very bright future here at Whitecap. We will be able to move ahead with plans to build a great 4 season resort! Thank you to the Board of Directors and our legal team!

The new ownership is making lots of progress on the resort.​

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
A few announcements this week.

Marquette Mountain is under new management. Season passes and day passes will be decreased.
Season passes go on sale July first starting at $250. Day passes will be sold at $25 a ticket.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com...ement-and-making-major-changes-486365541.html

Now if they can make more snow so they are open more, that would be great.​

Tyrol Basin Ski & Snowboard Area
June 22 at 5:30 PM ·
Tyrol Basin 18/19 Season Passes will go on sale July 1st @ 8AM for the lowest price we have ever offered! This will be a one day flash sale. Do not miss out!

The Facebook page has an updated logo. I know they were looking for new owners too. Haven't officially heard anything, but I'm guessing there are some new owners or management.​
Whitecap Mountains Ski Resort
20 hrs ·
Hello #whitecapnation!!!! After several months of negotiations I am happy to announce that we have reached an agreement with the financial institution that WC has been dealing with for over 40 years. This latest development clears the way for a very bright future here at Whitecap. We will be able to move ahead with plans to build a great 4 season resort! Thank you to the Board of Directors and our legal team!

The new ownership is making lots of progress on the resort.​
Watch for upcoming announcements as plans are finalized for this summer! We look forward to sharing our plans here!

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Thinking about doing a little midwest road trip this upcoming season, hitting Granite Peak, Big Snow/Indianhead, maybe Whitecap and definitely Mt. Bohemia.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I don't know if it will be able to live up to you and Dwight's hype! ;)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight, where is suggested in lieu of Granite Peak?

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Well, you are going to Granite, so your standards aren't real high. :)

Yeah, to be honest I'm only thinking of visiting Granite because it's on the way and to say I've been there. Never been. Really interested to see happens at Whitecap in 18-19. Looks like there is a lot of potential. Definitely like to support the smaller hills when possible.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight, where is suggested in lieu of Granite Peak?

Right now.
1. Blackjack
2. Indianhead
3. Whitecap (with changes coming, hope to see it #1)

Farther drive, Mont Ripley in Houghton is great too, Marquette has new management with potential to be really good. New snow guns and $20 lift tickets now. If you are in this region you might as well go to Boheima.

I'm biased against Granite. Have friends that patrol there and season passes. Just over inflated for the experience. Heck my home bump at Nordic has better atmosphere and has full catered bar and restaurant. Which I found out last year is not the norm at other places. Granite does have a good terrain park.

I haven't been to Cascade and Devil's head in while, but I would put them above Granite too. The 700' vertical is marketing hype and so is how they count their runs. :)

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
thinking of making a road trip if the stars align, which resorts will let a trail get bumped with moguls or seeded?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
thinking of making a road trip if the stars align, which resorts will let a trail get bumped with moguls or seeded?
Pretty much everything in the U.P.
Many in Wi. All depends on amount of snow.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ah, thanks!

issue for me is Granite is about as far north as I'd likley travel, otherwise I may as well travel west to Colorado. Hence not previously going north. I figure I want to someday to experience. Pricing of course would be one reason over Colorado.

I'd respectfully disagree on Granite overall, yeah .. it's not ideal but hill wise I see it as much better than the few other places I've been. I plan to hit Devil's Head and Cascade this year, but I will state that compared to Chestnut, it seems the skiers at Granite were far more in control, least my opinion but this may be true at most other places .. Chestnut is a magnet for Chicago suburbians many who seem to have never skied and don't seem to mind not learning.

I figure all the hills misrepresent their vertical, I've noted built up mounds that likely represent the "max" ... ogsmile

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
.. Chestnut is a magnet for Chicago suburbians many who seem to have never skied and don't seem to mind not learning.

Daughter just got an offer in Chicago, may be there for a while. Looks like Chestnut has a seeded mogul run, looks interesting if they open it early..

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
ah, thanks!

issue for me is Granite is about as far north as I'd likley travel, otherwise I may as well travel west to Colorado. Hence not previously going north. I figure I want to someday to experience. Pricing of course would be one reason over Colorado.

I'd respectfully disagree on Granite overall, yeah .. it's not ideal but hill wise I see it as much better than the few other places I've been. I plan to hit Devil's Head and Cascade this year, but I will state that compared to Chestnut, it seems the skiers at Granite were far more in control, least my opinion but this may be true at most other places .. Chestnut is a magnet for Chicago suburbians many who seem to have never skied and don't seem to mind not learning.

I figure all the hills misrepresent their vertical, I've noted built up mounds that likely represent the "max" ... ogsmile

Stay away from Cascasde on a holiday then. Chicago central. :) If you want to have fun on small hill, give me a shout out and I'll guarantee a fun day at my hill. It might not be all about the skiing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Marquette Mountain posted some updates on upgrades that they've been working on over the summer, and a new commitment to skiers for a longer season.

I guess it’s time for a bit of an update. We’re on a roll.

In May the owner decided to fund a new LED lighting system for the mountain. Engineering is done and site work has started. You’ll be enjoying night skiing from Cliffs all the way to Ridge in better light than you’ve ever had. And we will ski at night, every night.

Then we bought 20 snow guns. We’ll make snow.

Then we bought a brand new groomer, a low hours second groomer and fixed our other groomer. We’ll groom snow.

We decided that skiing was too pricey for families, well everybody, so we cut prices almost in half. Season Passes are $249. Period. Students (7 and up) $99. The Daily Lift Ticket will be $25. Period. I hope you can now afford to enjoy that properly made properly groomed snow.

We also thought our food and beverage prices were too high so we redid the whole menu and cut our bar pricing. You can now pop in to the Carp River Saloon (open EVERY DAY at 12noon) and get a half pound prime burger and waffle fries AND a cold draft beer for $12 bucks (plus tax and tip of course) oh and that beer will come out of our new chilled 6 tap system. And the great friendly staff of the Carp River Saloon are busy every day cleaning, polishing, painting, organizing and generally doing anything they can to make your visit more pleasant. Then there’s the live music Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Yup, really.

We thought the old Mt Shop was kind of a dungeon and we needed to get all retail in one place so this month we’ll be moving all retail, apparel, soft goods, tickets and rental purchase upstairs to what was the Alpine Room. Bigger, brighter, cheerier and much more accessible to the mountain. By the way we’re out of the hard goods business. If you want to buy skis, boards, boots and poles Marquette has a couple great shops that will be great to visit.

And yes we replaced or are replacing all the busted leaky doors and painted the building.

There’s a lot more going on and if any of our friends want to know more we’re happy to visit and answer questions.

Bikers. Sorry with everything going on we just couldn’t get in the game for you this year. We want you to know that we’ve been listening and 2019 is your year. But the mountain trails are there now, we blow them clean frequently and you’re welcome to ride. Just be careful because there’s equipment and people working all over the mountain.

Finally, we’ll be ready to make snow by November 15th. If it’s at all possible WE WILL SKI THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING.
And we never again will close in April with 30 inches of new snow on the mountain.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
ah, thanks!

I’m not a fan of Granite. The main problem is the bottom 75% of each run is flat as can be. You point the ski straight down the hill and cruise along at 5 MPH waiting to get to the bottom. The top 25% is ok but so short.

I think the skiing at Devil’s Head and Cascade is better and closer. So either ski there or drive the extra 2 hours past Granite to the best Midwest ski areas. The Ironwood, MI ski areas have much better snow and much longer substained steeps. Boyne region, Lutsen, Bohemia and the ironwood areas are the best of the Midwest. A few other UP areas are really good too. It’s a big step down after that to Cascade then another step down to Granite

The Midwest doesn’t compare to skiing out west. To me, Midwest skiing is great for a cheap bonus trip. Lift tickets, car travel, food, hotels are all way cheaper. Enjoy a bonus trip.

Oh and Chesnut is a cool ski area. It’s similar to Devils Head and Cascade but a little smaller.

I’ve skied just about every major midwestern ski area if anyone wants my opinion on other places.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Nathanvg Thanks!

I do plan on Devil's head this year.

agree that Granite's runs flatten out near bottom, but most the midwest slopes do the same ... just shorter.

I can find fun in most any hill.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Being a dork I thought it fun to pull up the maps of Devil's, Granite and Chestnut. Did this long ago on Chestnut and compared to Sundown (in Dubuque area) as they claim 500 foot which I never quite believed.

Anyhow, on image from Google maps using terrain and distance, I can see where Granite as experienced flattens out a lot near bottom. Devil's Head is opposite where it's more flat on top, steeper on bottom. I pegged pretty much their longest straight runs, both's verticals are pretty close at ~560 and 500 foot respectfully. I'd agree I think I like Devil's Head layout more and being closer .. only 10 miles off route on way to or from my kids home a place to hit. Looks as if most their runs are along the 1400 to 900 start and stop, Granite not as many and as noted, many drop fast and then flatten out.

all three on same scale but terrain and distance measurements don't really require them to be.

Chestnut I like, it's just fun and views of Mississippi are amazingly lovely, but I won't claim their near the 500 verticle.

anyhow, thought it fun.

Devil Granite Chestnut.PNG

Devil's
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!8m2!3d43.4180036!4d-89.6268972!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Granite
https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...e7!8m2!3d44.929236!4d-89.683162!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Chestnut
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...19!8m2!3d42.319017!4d-90.393793!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I concur on Chet'snut. The south half is as good as things get Chestnut.jpg here in the midwest. Below is a photo I took on one of my trips there last winter.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Pine Mountain has new owners. The Upper Midwest is getting new blood this season. Whitecap, Marquette and now Pine. Taught my kids at Pine one weekend. First time I realized, no night skiing and close at 4pm. Yes I was not father of weekend. :) U.P. ski hills = different hours.

SAM Magazine—Iron Mountain, Mich., Aug. 15, 2018—An anonymous buyer recently purchased Pine Mountain Ski & Golf Resort in Iron Mountain, Mich., and has already begun making improvements to the year-round resort while business operations continue
HN-pinemountain.jpg
uninterrupted. The same anonymous buyer also purchased the nearby Four Seasons Resort, a hotel and nine-hole golf course that’s been closed for the past two years.

"The new owners are very excited to own the new properties and have many, many plans for renovations,” said marketing director Dave Nyquist. “Starting out on the hill where we are clearing some areas, we are going to have a brand new beginner ski area. Also the hotel bar, restaurant, condos—pretty much everything is getting a brand new face lift."

https://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/9135-new-owners-making-improvements-to-pine-mountain-mich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January