• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I'm surprised that's all they are opening this weekend at Lutsen. From the mountain cam it looks like they've got solid coverage on Eagle.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm surprised that's all they are opening this weekend at Lutsen. From the mountain cam it looks like they've got solid coverage on Eagle.
Could be staffing and still want a thicker base.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have experience at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin? We're looking for ski areas near central Indiana that will be open Mon, Tues, Weds of Thanksgiving week. Alpine Valley (5 hr), Little Switzerland (6.5 hr), and Granite Peaks (7.5 hr) look to be the best of available choices. Prefer the shorter drive of course but not sure of the relative merits of each ski area. Little Switzerland looks to be the flattest with Granite Peaks having the most vertical and Alpine Valley in-between. All of them seem to have a good assortment of runs.

Thoughts on the above areas? Any that should be added to the list?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
No many that ski at Alpine and like for that area of Wis. Pretty sure Alpine would be more fun than Little Swiz. Swiz is small.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've skied both Granite and Alpine back when I lived near Chicago - this would have been 15 years ago. It depends what is open at Granite - when mostly open, it is worth the extra 2.5 hrs of driving IMO. But you should be aware that Granite does not ski quite as big as the 700 feet of vertical would suggest - the top half of the hill is fairly steep and then you have to deal with a long runout. So if they have a decent selection of runs open it is still fun to ski different runs across the face of the hill but when the selection of runs is limited it gets old pretty quickly.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, what about Cascade Mtn in Wisconsin? Will they be open Thanksgiving weekend? I would definitely drive the extra 75 minutes to ski there rather than Alpine Valley.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Cascade is suppose to open after Thangsgiving. They would be better, might be busier.

This time of year is hard. Most places that do open this weekend and next won't have complete coverage and some places don't advertise that very well. Schools in Wisconsin are in session next Mon-Wed plus gun deer season starts tomorrow.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
MIDSNOW1116.jpg

5-10SNOW1116.jpg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have experience at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin? We're looking for ski areas near central Indiana that will be open Mon, Tues, Weds of Thanksgiving week. Alpine Valley (5 hr), Little Switzerland (6.5 hr), and Granite Peaks (7.5 hr) look to be the best of available choices. Prefer the shorter drive of course but not sure of the relative merits of each ski area. Little Switzerland looks to be the flattest with Granite Peaks having the most vertical and Alpine Valley in-between. All of them seem to have a good assortment of runs.

Thoughts on the above areas? Any that should be added to the list?

The best option would be to delay the trip to later in the season. None of these areas is going to have much open and conditions are likely to be poor.

If you really want to ski, I'd choose alpine valley because it's closest. It's a pretty short slope and it's not very steep but it's still skiing. I hope you're not planning on skiing 3 straight days, that could get really boring.

The other option would be to keep driving all the way to Colorado.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. Don't know where is good for Midwest skiing so the insight is helpful.

Some updates on the ski areas in question:
  • Cascade not yet open.
  • Caberfae over in Michigan is open this weekend but not during the week yet.
  • Alpine Valley open all week:
    • Fri, Nov 16 10am-10pm
      Sat, Nov 17 9am-10pm
      Sun, Nov 18 9am-10pm
      Mon, Nov. 19 3pm-10pm
      Tue, Nov. 20 3pm-10pm
      Wed, Nov 21 3pm-10pm
      Thu, Nov. 22 Closed for Thanksgiving
  • Granite Peak gave this update:
    • Opening Weekend:
      Saturday, November 17th: 9:00am - 9:00pm
      Sunday, November 18th: 9am - 5:00pm
      We will be closed Monday and Tuesday for skiing, November 19-20
    • Reopen daily for the season on Wednesday, November 21st.
  • Nubs Nob is same distance as Granite Peak (7.5 hours). Update:
    • Nub's Nob will open this Saturday & Sunday! (no mention of other dates)
    • Smooth Sailing, Sno Pro, Valley, Smokey, Big Time, Easy Mile, Fun Bowl and the Cat Track will be ready to go.
    • The Green and Purple Lifts will spin from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
The other option would be to keep driving all the way to Colorado.

Usually that's exactly what we do. This time though we're looking to shoehorn in a couple days with our daughters over Thanksgiving so only midwest will work.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Blackjack opens the 23rd. Free tickets that day. Still not worth the drive for you.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Few more ... doing the research so may as well post.
  • Boyne Mountain, Michigan
    • Fri, Nov 16 through Sun, Nov 18 9am-4:30pm
    • Thu, Nov 22 through Sun, Nov 25 9am-4:30pm
  • Mt Holly Michigan
    • Fri , Nov 16 from 3pm-10pm
    • Sat, Nov 17 9am-10pm Ski Swap 8am-3pm
    • Sun, Nov 18 9am-9pm
    • Woodward, Canyon, Snowstream, Bugs Bunny, Rabbit Ridge, Snow White, and Baby Face, ranging from Beginner to Advanced
      will be serviced by up to 3 chairlifts and 5 surface lifts.
  • Bittersweet Michigan
    • Fri, Nov 16. 10:00AM-10:30PM.
    • Sat, Nov 17, 9AM-10:30PM,
    • Sun, Nov 18 9AM-9PM
    • 2 Runs, 3 lifts will be open, (Sweet Pea, Snowberry)
  • Sundown Mountain, Iowa
    • Fri, Nov. 16 4PM TO 9PM
    • Sat, Nov. 17 9AM TO 9PM
    • Sun, Nov 18 9AM TO 8PM

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-16_16-7-22.png
    upload_2018-11-16_16-7-22.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 1

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Nubs is open Sat and Sunday.
They will close for a few days and be open on Thanksgiving Day through the weekend.
Just stopped by yesterday and there will be more hills open than I have ever seen at this time of year.
Guns on!

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Chestnut opening the 23rd. My guess is just the bunny hills and Old Main. Maybe one blue. Still we're well ahead of the norm.

Looking to ski Chestnut Dec 15, again 22-23, again a few days around NYE, then somewhere else ideally Mt Bohemia the weekend after NYE. Get those legs in shape!!

Side question, anyone here ever fly on Air Choice One from O'Hare up to Bessemer? If so, what then, how do you get around? Big Powderhorn is right there you could even walk if needed, but if trying to go to Whitecap too then what? Is there Uber in the UP?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@skix you noted Sundown,

They opened this weekend, believe they're closed weekdays .. I thought I heard they open again for thanksgiving but it may be Friday the 23rd like Chestnut.

However only 1/2 the hill is reported as open. May not be very busy but I'd think one would aim Wisconsin or Michigan .. snow is bit more north than Dubuque (Sundown and Chestnut effectively) but the are to get 4 or so inches tonight.

Note though, it's warming a bit and Thanksgiving their neck of woods is to pop up to mid 40s .. maybe even high 40's.

So I'm aim going north if one does ...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chestnut opening the 23rd. My guess is just the bunny hills and Old Main. Maybe one blue. Still we're well ahead of the norm.

Looking to ski Chestnut Dec 15, again 22-23, again a few days around NYE, then somewhere else ideally Mt Bohemia the weekend after NYE. Get those legs in shape!!

Side question, anyone here ever fly on Air Choice One from O'Hare up to Bessemer? If so, what then, how do you get around? Big Powderhorn is right there you could even walk if needed, but if trying to go to Whitecap too then what? Is there Uber in the UP?

oohhh, I'd consider hitting Chestnut if folks would be about .. hoping to do some Wisconsin too in Dec as I have to unfortunately burn vacation .. eh eh eh ....

anyhow, hoping to hit Devil's Head and/or Tyrol Basin to explore.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Little Switz today and it's snowing.

6.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@skix, Apline Valley is the only hill that is all open on runs.

Quote:
Dwight Trumbower everything is open, however they only operate the high speed lifts early in the day. Today’s conditions are great but the snow is a little slow

Forecast is wavering right now but the 23rd-24th looks like rain may be coming. :{

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apline Valley is the only hill that is all open on runs.

Thanks for the update. We're just about set to do 2 days at Alpine Valley this Mon/Tues. I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves. They haven't been on skis since last spring and are chomping at the bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online