• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I"m becoming a fan boy, and I haven't even been there yet this year. :)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, I"m becoming a fan boy, and I haven't even been there yet this year. :)

You think this place would be worth a weekend trip from the Twin Cities this winter when they are done with these upgrades?

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I've been debating that as well. As much as I want to support these smaller businesses, I could be in Lutsen in the same amount of travel time. It might make sense for me if I am driving toward Mt. Bohemia to stop in.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You think this place would be worth a weekend trip from the Twin Cities this winter when they are done with these upgrades?

Yes I do, even before these upgrades it was worth it on terrain. I do lots of family skiing and I believe it has the best terrain for all abilities, but you can all end up at the same lift.

I have one "in" on housing, but I know many rent their condos, fairly inexpensive, at least so far. I have never stayed on the hill yet, might change this year. Always stayed in Ironwood at a hotel with hot tub.

If you do go, give me a heads up. Mini-Pugski gathering.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're looking at bailing our on planned trip to Big Sky and doing a much cheaper trip to Michigan instead. Couple of days skiing in Bessember area and then maybe up to Bohemia for a day or two as well, if the conditions are worth it. We'd need to go in March, and Bohemia's best snow month is late Jan it appears.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the U.P. one never knows what the conditions will be like.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Tyrol Basin is open today for walk and ride. If you are going to do system test, you might as well allow people to use it before it melts. :)

https://tyrolbasin.com/

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Last night quite a few hills did system checks. Temps were around 26 degrees. It's getting closer in the Midwest.

I see Granite has announced Nov 17 for opening day. We'll see if the weather cooperates.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Technically, Little Switzerland had snow to ride on too.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Last season we started on the 19th of November.
Think I'm a Nubs Nob partisan?
I got my first season pass there in 1962 for $35 and have been down this bump more than 30,000 times.
When the conditions look interesting I'll post up. 43244070_10156421767317254_856473412908875776_o.png

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dwight how would you recommend we break up our skiing days on a UP trip?

1 day each at Powerderhorn, Indianhead and Whitecap? We'd like to get a nice condo with a hot tub. Looking at ski in ski out options at Powderhorn but if we did that we likely wouldn't get to the other hills.

Kicking around hitting Spirit Mountain on the way there for a day as well.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dwight how would you recommend we break up our skiing days on a UP trip?

1 day each at Powerderhorn, Indianhead and Whitecap? We'd like to get a nice condo with a hot tub. Looking at ski in ski out options at Powderhorn but if we did that we likely wouldn't get to the other hills.

Kicking around hitting Spirit Mountain on the way there for a day as well.

We've done that many times, if you go ski in ski out at BP you'll love it. And agreed would be hard to leave the resort, maybe to Indianhead for day but Whitecap is further.

Could do two at BP and one at WC on your way out. IH and BJ together makes sense since ownership with lift tickets and stuff. If you had your pick of places to stay, staying on the mountain at BP is hard to beat in that area. Especially if going with kids/families it makes for such an experience.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You could ski in/out at BJ or IH. But don't know about the hot tub. I've never skied Powderhorn. Kids have, I don't have a reason to go there. Might be some ski in/out at Whitecap too. Condo owners rent out, separately at both places. @David D should be able to help there.

I can find out whom to contact for the BJ,IH area for you.

I would do 1 day at BJ, IH and Whitecap. BJ-IH daily ticket covers both places and they usually run a 2 day special. There is bus that goes between both hourly so you don't need to drive.

Forget Spirit and do all 4 in the Bessemer/Hurley area. :) Nothing wrong with Spirit, but if you going to travel, stay in one area and make it simpler.

I always stay at Comfort Inn in Ironwood. Nice pool and hot tub. Easy driver to where ever. Just another option

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
I prefer BP to IH. Runs aren't as long but IMO better terrain. Less ice too, less crowds too. Both are great.

If it were me I'd start with BP unless you see staying at one of the condos/rooms at the top of IH.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
upload_2018-10-31_14-22-31.png
From onthesnow.com compare feature.

Quinn Trumbower

I Ski & Know Stuff
Skier
I was told i should weigh in on this thread for UP trips. Obviously everyone is going to have their favorite spots and bias. Also, depending on your intentions and skiing styles everything will be different.

If you're going to the Bessemer area, I would definitely say that BJ & IH are up there. For family trips we think that terrain at BJ is up at the top (second only to whitecap). Whitecap's terrain is my favorite just because there are so many options to keep changing it up. When I skied Powderhorn I thought it was very flat. They have a lot of options too but I was there in fresh storm conditions so it was slow all day. If I could only pick on hill in Bessemer area to ski at it would be Whitecap.

If you are going farther in the up up towards Houghton you have some good options. Ripley for a day is good, but I would think most of your time would be at Boho. however, if you are up there take a day to go to the Porcupines. Best hidden gem of the UP, great terrain, great snow, and one the best views of a ski hill I have been on in the UP.

Though if you are making that drive its a tough battle between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January