• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's Wednesday and that can only mean one thing. Fresh powder again.

I could get used to this.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Making a spare of the moment trip to Brule, this Sunday. If by chance anyone else will be up there.

Ikonics and Kores will be there for anyone to try.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
After a dozen days at Chestnut and a few at Granite Peak, I've warmed up nicely haha in prep for tonight's trip to SLC. Skiing Alta next four days, well maybe one at the Bird. I'll report back with some pics, even though this is the homely Midwest thread!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not Upper Midwest but Hit Tyrol Basin yesterday. Bit chilly but was sunny and for first 3+ hrs quite comfy till toes started to get a wee cooler.

Anyhow, me and youngest hit the hill for first time as I had a free pass day with my Sundown pass.

Nice hill, bit smaller than say Chestnut or Sundown but not rally greatly smaller. Had a decent layout and one of longest magic carpets I've seen, maybe 500 foot?

Great little place ...

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up at Tyrol. fun place, haven't been back since 84. :(

At that time freestyle jumping was being trained their under one of the lifts. Great time. One friend went on to ski/jump for Team USA.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I grew up at Tyrol. fun place, haven't been back since 84. :(

At that time freestyle jumping was being trained their under one of the lifts. Great time. One friend went on to ski/jump for Team USA.

I'd claim they might be aiming at folks seeking freestyle jumps, park stuff, etc. good amount of the hills had park features even if only ramps and small jumps but central part did seem to have lots of rails and such.

No halfpipe but those take a lot or real estate ..

just guessing though.

They have signs saying one day super sale on season pass July 1st only.

No idea on that but hope they do well. Remember reading here it's under new ownership and idea of adding tubing, summer activities and haunted house.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not welcomed yet. Still heading to Whitecap and Blackjack on Friday and Sat.

upload_2019-3-12_19-54-26.png

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got one last day in Sunday, after a lot of rain Saturday it was pretty bad. Had to put away my 190 MX88s and rent cause the ice was chewing them up. Rented some crap skis and was easily my worst outing of the year.

I think that most likely concludes the season. However I'll be in CO for work end of April so trying to see if I can get to A Basin for a day. Lots of rain and warm temps next few days just a sign of spring to come.

This and last season were excellent here in the Midwest, hope next year is as well.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Was hoping to hit Lutsen the last weekend of March. Hoping all this rain doesn't kill the snow.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well,

I'm happy as I like snow far better than rain!

Makes things pretty too

2019-03-17_8-50-27.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Visited Whitecap for the first time this year. Terrain was great. Glad it snowed Friday after the rain on Thursday.

20190315_124414.jpg 20190315_131643.jpg 20190315_141707.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be a good weekend at Lutsen with the upcoming snow.

Extended Weekends: Apr 19-21; Apr 27 & 28; May 4 & 5

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Around 11" of snow at Granite Peak. Not sure how much was ice on top.

I got over 5", but rain and ice on top made it concrete.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone see this recent article on rebuilding Whitecap ski area? The owner talks about some pretty elaborate stuff with new lifts, hotel and village. I'd be surprised if they got the cash to build that stuff and I think they'd be better off focusing on basics. Whitecap is a really cool ski area so I hope it works out one way or another.

https://www.wdio.com/Outdoors/whitecap-mountains-skiing-fire-upson-wisconsin-lodge/5306413/

Go Fund Me page? ogsmile

no idea but obviously one would think owner has either a good business plan or financial backers .. or combo which led to his statement.

Maybe the stellar snow year shown good upticks in business?

They show summer activities which I'd speculate justification (well, business plan) for a new hotel that could uptick Golf, boating/fishing and other summer activities, weddings, etc. Today it seems most resorts even mega ones are aiming to be year round destinations.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone see this recent article on rebuilding Whitecap ski area? The owner talks about some pretty elaborate stuff with new lifts, hotel and village. I'd be surprised if they got the cash to build that stuff and I think they'd be better off focusing on basics. Whitecap is a really cool ski area so I hope it works out one way or another.

https://www.wdio.com/Outdoors/whitecap-mountains-skiing-fire-upson-wisconsin-lodge/5306413/

Perhaps the manager, @David D, of Whitecap can comment on the funding reality? It would be great to see them recover quickly. Fires at resorts in-season are just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.