• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Chestnut moved up its opening day to next Saturday! Got to love these early season conditions compared to the norm in these parts.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in Duluth, Mt du Lac opened last weekend, Spirit Mountain opens Friday, and up north Giant’s Ridge is open this coming weekend.

Lutsen will be open this weekend also.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My local hill is trying to open this weekend. They have the coverage, but 40s and rain all day could put that on hold. All week in the 40s. Extendend forecast for some some snow after Thanksgiving.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Weather not looking great for rest of month in southern half of Midwest, the early blast of cold was a tease. Looks like a pattern shift to cold wintery weather around 12/5-ish.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
6-8" in the Twin Cities metro in the next few days. Wax those ski's up people! It's starting to get real now

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Major snowstorm unfolding in the far N/NW Midwest. Wish it was impacting my region as well but just rain and wind here. Lucky for those in the UP, could get a foot or more tomorrow with another foot this weekend. Only a few resorts are open though. Maybe Lutsen is the place to be next week.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My home is on snow/rain line. I have to move it 10 miles North to get snow. :(

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
4" of concrete snow on the Southern end of the storm. More to come.

U.P. and upper Wisconsin is getting pounded though.
IMG_20191201_080207346.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see how that's good news. They're spending too much time on ambiance and not enough effort on improving the actual hill. I want to book for new years but I'm not even confident they'll have the lifts running.

Like most hills, they seem to be working on all aspects. It all takes, time and money. And when your main lodge burns down, you sometimes have to shift priorities around.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting article on declining visits and increasing operational losses at Spirit: http://www.startribune.com/duluth-s-spirit-mountain-bailout-signals-deeper-troubles/565992721/
Interesting read. As a new Twin Cities local, I had no idea Spirit was struggling so much.

I really enjoyed the terrain during my trip there during the 2018 season, although I will say it was so unbearably cold in February that I could only muster a few hours before calling it a day. I should probably give it another chance.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Bazaar, how do you lose 67% of your visits in 4 years? Was the weather really bad last year?
What I find really bizarre is that Northern Minnesodans would cancel snowmobile races just because of a little blizzard. :huh:

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm, losing that many skiers, says other issues are in play. Don't know what they though.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
hmm, losing that many skiers, says other issues are in play. Don't know what they though.
Yeah..Sounds like earlier numbers were massively inflated, you don't drop off by that much in so little time. Now I'm just speculating, but if so that's a serious matter in itself.

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
My kids learned to ski at Spirit Mountain, but to be honest, we haven't been back for 7-8 years, maybe more... not really sure why I guess. Partly because we can do a trip out west for a similar per day/per person cost I suppose. And on those terms, most everyone would opt for the mountains over an 800' hill.

With that said, my son is now at UMD, so chances are we'll hit Spirit Mtn at some point this winter. But the $65/day rate for MN skiing is a bit more than I care to spend in general... could be many others feel the same.

Edit to add: Spirit also seems to be one of the last in MN to open for some reason, year in and year out. Many years ago, pre-kids, pre-Internet, me and a buddy drove from the Twin Cities up to Spirit mid-week in mid-December only to find they were not open. Buck Hill, Wild Mountain, Afton and everyone else had already been open for a couple of weeks. We ended up driving back to Wild Mountain and skied there instead.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sounds like a pretty good opening expected at Whitecap tomorrow. Hope the conditions stay prime for let's see, 23 more days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor