• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another update on the changes Wild Mountain is making for next Season:

I love the idea of the semi-permanent outdoor heated tent/beer garden. It will be nice to be able to take a quick break in that instead of slogging your way all the way upstairs. Good idea IMO.

The 'no bags in the lodge' deal kind of sucks though... That means you'll need to boot up at the car or take a trip back out to the car in your ski boots after doing so. Their parking lot can get pretty icy so that's not always fun. I guess you could pay for a locker? Who does that??

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nub's Nob updated their web page today as season passes go on-sale.

As skiers and riders we are all wondering what winter will look like during the age of COVID-19. Things can change quickly, but here is what we know right now:
  • Skiing and riding will be allowed at Nub’s Nob.
  • We do not plan to limit season pass sales.
  • We do not plan to have a reservation system on the slopes.
  • Face masks will be required on chairlifts.
  • Indoor spaces will be restricted, and may not be available to the public.
  • Most events will need to be altered and some may not happen.
Life with COVID-19 requires all of us to adjust our expectations. This winter at Nub’s Nob we plan to enjoy the same great skiing and riding as always while we navigate these adjustments together. Many of the amenities that we are accustomed to will operate differently, and some may not be available. Our continued focus this season and every season is to provide the Midwest’s Best Snow with first-class and friendly service.

All of us at Nub’s Nob are looking forward to welcoming you back to the slope

In preparation for the upcoming ski season the Nub’s Crew focused on improvements to the outdoor spaces:
  • We repainted the exterior of all the buildings.
  • Repaved the parking lot and entrance road.
  • Expanded the Winter Garden- adding a food truck style venue, more seating and a fire pit.
  • Created an outdoor pick-up window off the Nub’s Pub for slope-side food and drink.
  • Improved the skiing on Valley by taking down the Blue Lift, removing trees, relocating snowmaking equipment and widened the slope with extensive earthwork.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big sale on tickets to Wild Mountain and Welch Village today FYI.

If you plan on riding at either of these hills for a full day this year I'd grab tickets today and save some $$. I'm getting a 4 pack to Welch for the family so we can do a full Sunday there this year. We'll likely do some night skiing on a Friday night there at some point as well.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Big sale on tickets to Wild Mountain and Welch Village today FYI.

If you plan on riding at either of these hills for a full day this year I'd grab tickets today and save some $$. I'm getting a 4 pack to Welch for the family so we can do a full Sunday there this year. We'll likely do some night skiing on a Friday night there at some point as well.

Welch lift tickets for $39? I’m in, was seeing that they need a guest attached to each ticket. Can that be changed later if the group changes? Not sure if it’s a family or taking kids and friends trip. Thanks for the headsup!

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier

Spirit will reopen this winter after Duluth city council approves additional one-time $300,000 bailout.

The city made the decision to bail out Spirit considering that the hill brings in ~$8 million in tourism revenue, and that the city would have been responsible for ~$1.3 million in bills if Spirit did not reopen this year.

https://www.startribune.com/duluth-...lowing-ski-hill-to-open-for-winter/572573562/

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...eive-300K-more-in-support-from-city-of-Duluth

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
Hi Dave. What is the status of Whitecap for this coming season? When we were up ATVing I heard the GM had a heart attack on the lift last winter and worried how that may affect progress with the rebuild. Along with the insurance settlement from the fire being at least a year away could make for a tough winter. good luck - stay safe
Thanks for your question. I was up skiing and suffered what we thought may have been a stroke at the time. I am glad to say that after some very exhausting exams I am 100%. There was no indication of a stroke, heart attack or anything else. We are moving ahead for the new season! Thanks again!

David D

Booting up
Industry Insider
It's a fun hill. You won't regret a trip there. Whitecap owners need to follow suit here and get rid of the their GM who has done nothing positive since taking over 2 years ago. They mountain is awesome and needs to be in the hands of someone who knows the UP and what skiers there want.
Hi Brent - Thanks for your comments! Since taking over here is some of what has been done at WC. New groomer, extensive lift maint, renovations to Base Lodge(which burned down in 1.2019), new restaurant and bar in Hotel, extensive upgrades to Hotel, new reservation system, new website, social media presence, advertising in major markets, renovation of front 9 of golf course, new rental equipment(2X), new golf course maint equipment, new snow removal equipment, new golf cart fleet, new signage, new terrain park, employee uniforms, POS system new this season, upgrades to wine hut and numerous other improvements. As you can see I disagree with your assessment. Thanks!

Ski4Ever

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Brent - Thanks for your comments! Since taking over here is some of what has been done at WC. New groomer, extensive lift maint, renovations to Base Lodge(which burned down in 1.2019), new restaurant and bar in Hotel, extensive upgrades to Hotel, new reservation system, new website, social media presence, advertising in major markets, renovation of front 9 of golf course, new rental equipment(2X), new golf course maint equipment, new snow removal equipment, new golf cart fleet, new signage, new terrain park, employee uniforms, POS system new this season, upgrades to wine hut and numerous other improvements. As you can see I disagree with your assessment. Thanks!
I agree the deck on the wine hut is nice. But what about the hill itself? Hardly anything is gladed and you have 3 snow machines that are ancient. The terrain park for the previous few years was a long run by the long chair that had at least 30 hits. This past season was a handful of rails on the tow rope. How is the new? What social media presence? All I see is facebook. why not keep all 18 holes? The back 9 were the most unique and gave people a reason to travel there. The fire was tragic, but it going on 2 years now and nothing being done. When Powderhorn burned they had a beautiful new lodge that summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online