• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
This article in the Deseret News really annoyed me.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...-could-lead-to-higher-lift-ticket-prices.html

"Lift ticket prices generally go up a little each season. Last season, a Brighton lift ticket cost $79. This year, it is $85.

Often the price hike is more than just a few dollars. Snowbird's day pass was $106 last year. This year, it's $119, an increase of $13. While that's less than Deer Valley's current ticket price of $135 (which was $128 last year), Snowbird still has the most expensive day pass of the Wasatch Front resorts, which are the resorts in both Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood canyons."

Supposedly, lack of early season snow and high temperatures is going to "force" the Utah ski areas to raise their lift ticket prices. Has a ski area ever reduced prices when they had a phenomenal season?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
A poor season? we need to raise prices. A good season? we need to raise prices.
So where is all the extra money from the above average years? Why isn't all that banked for the lean year/s? Oh yea, I forgot, silly me. There is no such thing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Supposedly, lack of early season snow and high temperatures is going to "force" the Utah ski areas to raise their lift ticket prices. Has a ski area ever reduced prices when they had a phenomenal season?

FWIW, no ski area I know of has ever downsized their snowmaking capacity - without being on their way out of business altogether, that is. And it's not like that gear and those crews don't incur ongoing costs when natural snow comes in.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
If barely anyone pays the walk up price and what they really want is to have people spend money on concessions, why don't they offer an $80 ticket and a $95 ticket that includes a $20 meal voucher?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If barely anyone pays the walk up price and what they really want is to have people spend money on concessions, why don't they offer an $80 ticket and a $95 ticket that includes a $20 meal voucher?

Because having a captive audience at the concession stand, in an environment where competitive pricing is furthest from the audience's mind, makes for great cash flow?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I haven't been watching lately, but I remember seeing offerings on Liftopia that paired a lift ticket and a meal voucher.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They learned their lessons well from the oil companies. Price of crude is up must raise price, doing improvements must raise, material cost drop must raise prices.

Sponsor