• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

unrecoverable damage by tuning shop

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had a full racing tuning (stone grind, race structure, base bevel, side edge, wax) from a tuning shop in a local ski resort.
Long story short, I've found that they somehow excessively ground the base near the tip so that there's significant wave on the base as well as deep gouge on the base edge.
Also I notice there's lots of machine made looking scratch marks and the base bevel is not consistent between left and right ski.
I don't understand what they did wrong..
As far as I know, they have Montana Challenge Max and the every tuning process is quite automated..
Anyway, it seems it's completely unrecoverable and it feels quite weird when skiing.
I will bring the ski back to the shop but I don't think there's anything they can do about it unless they grind down the base until the core.
What would be the best action I can take against the tuning shop in case they don't want take any responsibility or they claim it's not the damage they made or they just ignore it by saying 'unfortunately there's nothing we do about it'?
Please share your thoughts!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Call Jacoby and Meyers! (@Philpug and the other Philly baby boomers would appreciate that one).ogwink

But seriously, from one pessimist to another, stop jumping to the worst case scenario and give the shop a chance.

IMO. If they are jerks about it, I'd complain to the resort and also contact the Montana Challenge Max Company. I'm would think Montana Co wouldn't want their machines reputation tarnished by a shop mishap, plus they should be informed in the event something is amiss with the machine or if the shop employees need retraining.

Let us know how you make out.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with giving the shop the chance to make it right before assuming they won't. How they make it right depends on how old the ski is/how much useful life was left. If it's a well-used 5 year old ski perhaps its just a discount on a new pair of skis or a credit towards future work or the like. If it's a new ski then perhaps new skis are the answer.

Take lots of pictures before taking them into the shop in case they attempt to fix and cannot so you have evidence of the current state of the skis.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Call Jacoby and Meyers! (@Philpug and the other Philly baby boomers would appreciate that one).ogwink

But seriously, from one pessimist to another, stop jumping to the worst case scenario and give the shop a chance.

IMO. If they are jerks about it, I'd complain to the resort and also contact the Montana Challenge Max Company. I'm would think Montana Co wouldn't want their machines reputation tarnished by a shop mishap, plus they should be informed in the event something is amiss with the machine or if the shop employees need retraining.

Let us know how you make out.
I agree with giving the shop the chance to make it right before assuming they won't. How they make it right depends on how old the ski is/how much useful life was left. If it's a well-used 5 year old ski perhaps its just a discount on a new pair of skis or a credit towards future work or the like. If it's a new ski then perhaps new skis are the answer.

Take lots of pictures before taking them into the shop in case they attempt to fix and cannot so you have evidence of the current state of the skis.

It's been a while since the incident but I feel like I would like to give an update what has happened after following your valuable advice.
The shop finally admitted their poor workmanship / mistake and took a full responsibility.
You can imagine how hard I had to fight or how many times I have to travel to the shop to talk and meet THE person..
But they gave me a new ski for a compensation..yeah~
I truly appreciate your comment and advice!

Sponsor

Staff online