• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unreal Tree-Well Rescue: What a kid and What a Dad!

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
This story came across my Mac screen, and it is a very positive story. Dad made his video public of his incredible adventure with his boy and I think another skier arrived on the spot, back-country Idaho. Believe it has made the news.
Video is unreal, no surreal: Dad is a real cool customer and frankly kid is pretty chill too all things considered, and the dialogue is awesome!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree, the Dad's composure is awesome. Crazy video.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I keep thinking it may have been better to NOT show that video to his Mom.
Glad it ended positively.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK this has been popping up for the past few weeks. The kid did not fall into a tree well. He skied straight into a tree because he was out of control. He was upright. All he had to do was move his head a few inches, or use his arm to brush the snow from in front of his helmet... even if he did neither of those things there was no danger of suffocation.

Why would the dad not be calm in a situation like that? Does panic ever help? The kid was obviously freaked out.

Perhaps dad should not have encouraged his kid to hit a jump in the trees?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow. Both definitely had a great attitude and glad it all ended well. Nicely documents one of the dangers of tree wells.

But, Obviously the kid is not a good enough skier to be back there (shouldn't be there but at least he was well supervised) and also was on the wrong skis for the conditions which did not make it easier for him to ski that terrain. An 81mm wide ski with camber is not the preferred tool for those conditions/terrain. At least they were twin tips though.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
OK this has been popping up for the past few weeks. The kid did not fall into a tree well. He skied straight into a tree because he was out of control. He was upright. All he had to do was move his head a few inches, or use his arm to brush the snow from in front of his helmet... even if he did neither of those things there was no danger of suffocation.

Why would the dad not be calm in a situation like that? Does panic ever help? The kid was obviously freaked out.

I agree with a lot of this but it still serves the important purpose of increasing tree well awareness.

I keep thinking it may have been better to NOT show that video to his Mom.
Glad it ended positively.

Mosdef would have been better for her pants.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This also made national news outlets. I have a hunch it was staged, but the end justifies the means. I wish there was more done to raise awareness about tree wells, now to avoid them, and how to survive them when they aren't avoided.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I showed it to my daughter as a lesson about skiing in the trees and also skiing alone (don't ski alone in the trees especially.)
She's almost at the age where she'll be able to head off on her own with her buddies. She's also a very responsible kid, so I hope she'll be a leader in that way.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Geez, kids do dumb stuff all the time (and hopefully learn from it -- even if it isn't until the third time).

Cool vid. Props to the Dad.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid