• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Ski Canada Magazine once labelled the Sun Peaks locals as the friendliest in Canada. I think a big part of that is SP's history of seeking out input
and listening to locals. And they have done it again, to my and others great satisfaction.

I think we all know who is the friendliest local from Sun Peaks is ! :yahoo:
It's @DanoT ! !

TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What's new at Sun Peaks for 2019-20, from the SPR Corp website:

https://www.sunpeaksresort.com/expl...ix59Y3mAdJVzclrcetn4OVrD0ZgditCgrPnPKzbUEGq_o

From the above article: there is a new bar in the West Village (Burfield Base) called The Magic Cattle Guard Bar and Tapas Takeout. The back story to the name is that Sun Peaks is part of the local ranchers free range land allowing cattle to graze on the mountain in summer and there used to be a cattle guard gate located about 1/4 mile before you get to the resort.

Rain is rare at Sun Peaks and this Cattle Guard spot is a snowline demarcation point where time after time in mild weather it can be raining in the valley, yet it turns to snow at the Cattle Guard. I have seen some mild winters where there is no snow in the valley and people are driving up the mountain from the valley bottom and are freaking out because there is not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere. And then they go 1/4 mile past the Cattle Guard, around a corner and then there is the Burfield Chair and its back to winter with snow everywhere.:yahoo:

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
remember that cattle guard and rarely seeing any snow before the Burfield was in sight
All of the hills in the Okanogan used to have at least one, most of them disappeared about the same time as the gravel.
nice perk with Silver Star

TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ll of the hills in the Okanogan used to have at least one, most of them disappeared about the same time as the gravel.

The cattle guard is gone but the magic is still there.

Cattle still graze on the ski runs in summer. I came across a group of cows a few summers ago and upon seeing me, immediately the big ones formed a shoulder to shoulder semi circle with the small cows and calves in behind. And when I say big cows, I mean 800-1000lbs + with full horns. No wolf, cougar or even grizzly bear is going to risk an encounter with that. I just kept walking and didn't approach.

TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A fairly accurate artist's updated Sun Peaks map showing all 4,270 acres:

2019-Alpine-Map_GuestServices.jpg

The Crystal Chair is slated for replacement this summer and the new chair will be realigned to off load near the Burfield Chair at the Top of the World. No word yet as to whether Covid-19 virus will delay chair construction this summer. Some tower bases were built last summer.

The rectangular patch bellow the hike-to Gil's hill (upper right) is a gravity fed reservoir for snow making. A second reservoir for expanded Village drinking water is under construction.

The Orient Ridge Chair (lower right) along with the runs will be extended up the ridge to accommodate future increases in skier visits. Chair will then likely be converted to high speed at that time.

Not all cross country trails are shown.

Last edited:
TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Summer 2020 operations will have a slight delay (early July) in opening the golf and lift serviced mountain biking and hiking. They are using summer operations as a learning tool for winter operations. It remains to be seen if borders will be open and since SPR relies heavily on international skiers and staff it is difficult to predict what the coming virus influenced season will look like.

Elevation Ski & Bike have a planned expansion of their ski rental operation into the adjacent Falline Tuning & Repair who currently occupy a small portion of a former night club, but who knows if they will even be renting skis in 2020. Perhaps by appointment only.

SPR has announced that the New Crystal Chair installation will go ahead and that all the parts from Doppelmayr have arrived but there may be supply chain problems getting the necessary electronic parts. They are not going to dismantle the old chair until they know that the new chair will be operational. The biggest delay right now is too much snow still in the Alpine due to 2020 being a way above average snow year.

TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
DanoT

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Official Unofficial Sun Peaks discussion has been moved HERE.

Unofficial_Guide_Sun_Peaks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January