• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vintageski808

Old ski fanatic born too late
Skier
i thought I’d start a thread for those who neede help indentifying obscure brands and vintage gear. I’m starting it off with these skis. I can’t find a thing bout them. They are branded SilverStar and are aluminum capped. Appear to be made in Austria. If anyone has any information bout these skis. Let me know.

Attachments

• BD2D18DE-3990-473C-8C40-2788D5A6AD97.jpeg
    BD2D18DE-3990-473C-8C40-2788D5A6AD97.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 270

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i would hazard a guess that they are some kind of Kneissel , perhaps early 80's?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oooh, good one. It so badly wants to be a Kneissl but isn't.

The airplane/rocket logo is like the 5-star, the words 'Silver Star' are so like Kneissl's naming convention, and the graphic design of lines around squares....

So close but just different enough.

We know that Kneissl's logo officially had 5 points as of 1962 and these skis look 8-10 years newer than that. We also never saw a 'Silver" star - there were blue, black, white, red, tele &c. Silver is a toughie.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The bindings are a Look GT with ski brake and Look did not add the brake to that binding till the mid to late 70's. But they may not be original mount.

Dougt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My Carter Skis with a star are presumably another Kneissl then? Any knowledge would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20180708_233539.jpg
    20180708_233539.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
  • 20180708_233523.jpg
    20180708_233523.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My Carter Skis with a star are presumably another Kneissl then? Any knowledge would be appreciated
The star on the Carters are nothng like the Kneissl stars. Maybe it is the angle you took the picture but that Carter has an unusual amount of tip flair for a ski from that generation. Could you measure the tip at it's widest part? The average tip was in the mid 80mm rage.

Dougt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks. Yes, the tip measures about 82mm at it's widest. The stars are more of a "stars and stripes" design so the angle is a fair representation but noticeably different from the kneissl star. These were given to my father probably in the mid 70's as a sample while working in the ski industry. I had originally thought they had something to do with Head as I have a pair of unmounted Yahoo's as well but that's only speculation.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
i thought I’d start a thread for those who neede help indentifying obscure brands and vintage gear. I’m starting it off with these skis. I can’t find a thing bout them. They are branded SilverStar and are aluminum capped. Appear to be made in Austria. If anyone has any information bout these skis. Let me know.
To me, the skis look to be Hagans from around 78-82ish. The shop I worked in sold Hagans as a part of a lower-mid ski package.They were a well made Austrian ski! The Hagans sold in the shop had a bit more stream-lined, shorter jet looking shovel logo. Also, thanks for posting this! Makes me feel a lot younger!!

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am 90%+ confident that they are Hari skis. Essentially a block of aluminium with a ptex type base. The edges also has a peculiar reinforcing strip along the 'corner'. They were very popular on plastic ski slopes in the early to mid 70s. Awful to ski on. I have a feeling they may have been GB made but can't be absolutely sure on that point,

TS
Vintageski808

Vintageski808

Skier
IMG_1707.jpg

I meant to post this orignally, but i just dont use this site mobile
I am 90%+ confident that they are Hari skis. Essentially a block of aluminium with a ptex type base. The edges also has a peculiar reinforcing strip along the 'corner'. They were very popular on plastic ski slopes in the early to mid 70s. Awful to ski on. I have a feeling they may have been GB made but can't be absolutely sure on that point,
IMG_1707.jpg

I meant to post this originally, but these are what the edges look like. Really weird. Possibly what you are talking about?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes that was exactly it. Sort of an aluminium box. I have a recall of the edges having a 'hard' strip being somehow bonded into the alloy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To me, the skis look to be Hagans from around 78-82ish. The shop I worked in sold Hagans as a part of a lower-mid ski package.They were a well made Austrian ski! The Hagans sold in the shop had a bit more stream-lined, shorter jet looking shovel logo. Also, thanks for posting this! Makes me feel a lot younger!!
My sister had some Hagans. They delaminated/blew up when her tip caught a snow fence. She was just a beginner and hardly moving when it happened. They came used so no warranty.

TS
Vintageski808

Vintageski808

Skier
I came across these lately and decided to grab them cause they were cheap. Any one heard of this brand? The brand is S-Skis.
Designed in Aspen and made in Bulgaria. I’ve never heard of them.

A3AA8CD8-C57C-4682-B6A7-5FBA5ECF45EE.jpeg
B5A58F6F-C01A-45E8-A6DE-3909D4A3AF0B.jpeg
73A28FE0-89F4-403C-B6DD-53636A05CFA5.jpeg
C072B923-54E3-4E99-B267-BA1435AA0B46.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I came across these lately and decided to grab them cause they were cheap. Any one heard of this brand? The brand is S-Skis.
Designed in Aspen and made in Bulgaria. I’ve never heard of them.

View attachment 81133 View attachment 81134 View attachment 81135 View attachment 81136
These came out about the same time as Elan's SCX and the Kneissl Ergo. They were designed by Ivan Petrov (I believe) If @Sethmasia is around, I am sure he can fill in the details.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
TS
Vintageski808

Vintageski808

Skier
These came out about the same time as Elan's SCX and the Kneissl Ergo. They were designed by Ivan Petrov (I believe) If @Sethmasia is around, I am sure he can fill in the details.

Interesting. They did remind me of the SCXs when I saw them.

Sethmasia

Putting on skis
Contributor
More (and better) info on Ivan Petkov and his S Ski here: https://www.skiinghistory.org/history/evolution-ski-shape

Excerpt:
Ivan Petkov retired from the Bulgarian ski team in 1976 and took up windsurfing. He designed and built a line of “Bora” sailboards and won the Bulgarian national championships three times between 1977 and 1980. He came to the US in 1987, to spend the summer in Hood River and the winter teaching skiing in Aspen. By 1989 he was managing a retail operation for Robbie Naish on Oahu, and while watching the craftsmen there carve custom sailboards, got the idea for a new carving ski. In the spring of 1992 he went back to the resort town of Pamporovo, in the Rhodope mountains of southern Bulgaria. There, Atomic had set up a factory to make some of their inexpensive constructions.

“I had them make a mold for a 187cm ski with a profile of 113-61-91,” Petkov says. “We couldn’t find a wide-enough base material, but they also made water skis there so we got some greenish-blue polyethylene and cut the base out of that. I took three or four pairs in different flexes and went to Mt. Hood. We were amazed at how well they held.”

Petkov called his new product the S-Ski, for its turn shape. He applied for a patent on the geometry. He ordered more skis in 183 and 193cm lengths, and went to the SIA Trade Show in the spring of ’93. “Everyone came to the booth,” Petkov remembers. “Warren Witherell (author of How the Racers Ski) was very excited.” He shipped 300 pairs. The 183cm sample in the Colorado Ski Museum measures 115-61-85, for a 19.5 sidecut depth and a 15 meter radius.

For 1994, there were shorter lengths, 163 and 178cm, and Petkov sold 1200 pairs. S-Ski was on a roll, but Petkov was unhappy with Pamporovo’s quality, and opened negotiations with Blizzard to build his ski.

(Several paragraphs cut here)

Many factories went bankrupt trying to keep pace with Salomon (which introduced its ski in '90). Among them was Blizzard, which slid into the control of the banks during ’94 and ‘95. But the factory already had Petkov’s S-Ski mold, and began producing its own cap-ski version that spring. Meanwhile Pamporovo made versions of the original S-Ski for other brands.

(Paragraphs cut here)

That winter (1996, when Rossignol and Salomon introduced their own shaped skis), Petkov realized he’d been undercut by Blizzard and Pamporovo: both factories planned to compete with him using his own mold. He turned to K2, which offered to build skis in his dimensions. The Vashon Island factory backed out of the deal when Petkov threatened to enforce his patent against any and all factories, including his own supplier. With no one to build his product, Petkov’s S-Ski slid from sight.

TS
Vintageski808

Vintageski808

Skier
So far you guys have been great. Here is a new challenge. Anyone know anything about knock-off Heads branded Allalin Manor and Olympic Jana
805FE370-C366-4F32-BEFC-E95498C17781_1_105_c.jpeg
62ECA276-F9E7-441A-9EFC-2914047C935C_1_105_c.jpeg
?

A25A0970-5A71-423E-B406-F05AECA77B8B_1_105_c.jpeg

Sponsor