• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied those competition moguls last year...about 2 weeks after the comp. They were really big and deep and icy. I did not ski them well or even adequately. The locals I was skiing with were telling me about the double, they saw it in person. It was definitely the talk of the town and highlight about the event.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were at the event in Deer Valley when that happened. While we weren't on the hill, we were in the media room but were watching the live feed.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I always thought the most impressive thing about that was the presence of mind required to attempt a second backflip.

As per Jonny's commentary... the guy had to try or the crash would have been a lot worse.

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Wow, look at that ski go FLYING when he crashes. Glad he was up and ok.

I can ski moguls like that. But after the second one it all falls apart. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Without seeing this event live, it is really tough to fathom how fast they are going.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
He was lucky for fresh snow on the course. Any extra cushion helps in that scenario.

It is nice to see him walking away.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
If I was the judge, I'd want to give that guy the win. Incredible. Also, I love Jonny's commentary.

In the first part of the clip after the run, at the bottom of the screen, it shows the other guy (Wilson) with a "+0.14" next to his name,, so it appears to me Hara did win. That is unless there some obscure rule saying you're required to finish with all your equip still attached. Either way, I'd have to give it to Hara. :hail::hail::hail:

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Without seeing this event live, it is really tough to fathom how fast they are going.
I agree. I watch a lot of motorsports, and the camera zooming out as the subject approaches really does give a false impression of the speed involved. I have seen mogul competition live and it makes my knees sore just watching these guys.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I stood along the side of the course last year. You REALLY get a feel for how fast they are going as they go past. ZIP! Gone.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In the first part of the clip after the run, at the bottom of the screen, it shows the other guy (Wilson) with a "+0.14" next to his name,, so it appears to me Hara did win. That is unless there some obscure rule saying you're required to finish with all your equip still attached. Either way, I'd have to give it to Hara. :hail::hail::hail:
I think it was his rocketing ski that broke the beam at the finish first. Gotta give him the air points LOL. Not sure about the turn shape though.

For those who missed it last year

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think it was his rocketing ski that broke the beam at the finish first. Gotta give him the air points LOL. Not sure about the turn shape though.

For those who missed it last year

Wouldn't the other guy get the air points because doubles aren't allowed?

(I think this video does suggest that perhaps it's time to think about making that an allowed trick with a proper degree of difficulty assigned, and maybe thinking about landing-area size at the Continental Cup/World Cup level).

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wouldn't the other guy get the air points because doubles aren't allowed?

(I think this video does suggest that perhaps it's time to think about making that an allowed trick with a proper degree of difficulty assigned, and maybe thinking about landing-area size at the Continental Cup/World Cup level).

Imo, this would change the sport more, it has already been tamed down on the turns. The number of bump between kickers have change such that speed is now emphasized. This is the reason the majority of mogul skis are stiffer, they are the ones that are being used, hence manufactured. The athletes need it to control the speed they are acheiving.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Can someone who knows such things explain how this guy got too much speed before that jump? There must have been a mistake at the ski-snow level, since he zooms ahead at super high speed just before the jump.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can someone who knows such things explain how this guy got too much speed before that jump? There must have been a mistake at the ski-snow level, since he zooms ahead at super high speed just before the jump.
He got out of rhythm about 3 or 4 bumps before the jump and got forward. Less banging on those bumps increased his speed.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Imo, this would change the sport more, it has already been tamed down on the turns. The number of bump between kickers have change such that speed is now emphasized. This is the reason the majority of mogul skis are stiffer, they are the ones that are being used, hence manufactured. The athletes need it to control the speed they are acheiving.

Hmm, fair point. Would changing (increasing) the course length as well (to allow for more turning real estate) and possibly adjusting the score factoring (i.e. more weight to the turns scores) mitigate that?

I lack a freestyle background, aside from helping with administrative and marketing/communications stuff, so while I've been lucky enough to watch a few World Cups and a couple of U.S. National competitions, I'm coming at this mostly from a spectator's POV. There may be very compelling reasons not to make changes, it just seems to me that if the athletes can pull off a more challenging trick, it should be allowed and properly scored.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

He got out of rhythm about 3 or 4 bumps before the jump and got forward. Less banging on those bumps increased his speed.

In other words, he wasn't rounding his turns enough due to being late in the line and lost control of his speed.

Sponsor