• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicycling

patmoore

Septuagenarian Snowboard/Ski Racer
Skier
The Topic Title does say Uni so I thought I'd throw this in. I used to do distance rides on one of my unicyles each season to keep my quads in shape for snowboard racing.

Earlier this week I turned 70 so I grabbed a uni out of the basement with the intention of riding 70 furlongs (about nine miles). My quads gave out so I settled for only .70 mile. Today it's snowing in Vermont so I'm putting the uni back away until Spring.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always wanted to learn how to ride a unicycle.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Pat, very cool! And, HBD.

I was never able to get the hang of a unicycle. Seems like one of those things that clicks, or doesn't. One of our kids seemed like a natural....one did not!

I have a friend who's always been a bundle of energy and fun. Maybe 20 years ago he called me up, and asked me to sponsor him in some charity walk/run/ride. People were doing all of the above. How far is it? I can't recall, exactly, but I think it was 12 miles, and some runners were lapping it twice, most cyclists a lot.

I ask him how far he's going. 12 miles. Really??? Are you kidding me? "I'm doing in on a unicycle.....in a gorilla costume." I was all in! Man, that was a long ride for him. Could barely get off the couch the next day.

Big respect for you unicyclists!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pat, very cool! And, HBD.

I was never able to get the hang of a unicycle. Seems like one of those things that clicks, or doesn't. One of our kids seemed like a natural....one did not!

I have a friend who's always been a bundle of energy and fun. Maybe 20 years ago he called me up, and asked me to sponsor him in some charity walk/run/ride. People were doing all of the above. How far is it? I can't recall, exactly, but I think it was 12 miles, and some runners were lapping it twice, most cyclists a lot.

I ask him how far he's going. 12 miles. Really??? Are you kidding me? "I'm doing in on a unicycle.....in a gorilla costume." I was all in! Man, that was a long ride for him. Could barely get off the couch the next day.

Big respect for you unicyclists!

But was he juggling?:popcorn: @dean_spirito , your next adventure if you choose to accept it, is to learn to Unicycle. Are you willing to accept this challenge? :cool:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
But was he juggling?:popcorn: @dean_spirito , your next adventure if you choose to accept it, is to learn to Unicycle. Are you willing to accept this challenge? :cool:

No, but he did say that climbing up the tiniest little bumps felt like Alpe D'Huez in the TDF!
Big props to anybody who picks this up!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've still got one. Ride it out to the irrigation pump station a couple times a year just to make sure I can still do it.

Infuriating to learn. At 11 years old, all I did was fall off the thing for THREE DAYS. Then, the fourth morning, it just worked. And yes, I did the apparently requisite parade while juggling event.

Mountain bikes are a lot more fun!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I can picture myself just getting a concussion from trying to ride a uni! Wow, looks very very difficult.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I just picked one up off of FBMarket. My training starts Tuesday.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Well, I just picked one up off of FBMarket. My training starts Tuesday.

Let us know if you want tips on starting out - I used to ride mine to middle school, and it sounds like I'm not the only clown on here. ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let us know if you want tips on starting out - I used to ride mine to middle school, and it sounds like I'm not the only clown on here. ogsmile
YEs, any help I can get. Maybe some YouTube videos?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
YEs, any help I can get. Maybe some YouTube videos?

This guy's method of riding along a wall is pretty much how I learned & teach friends to start:

If you can't get into an old tennis court or something, even just riding back & forth along a kitchen counter can help. I always found that the first 15 feet are the toughest, since your momentum is changing so much, but if you can make it past that you're probably okay to start free riding. (Also, don't be worried if you have to step off a LOT when you start free riding - it just takes a while to be able to make corrections without overshooting.)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
When falling off, keep one hand on the seat so you can catch the uni before tripping over it. I prefer the "crotch grab" rather then the "butt wipe".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New toy:
6FB75069-2842-4EE0-ADA1-E6DAE7C04508.jpeg
3A588F53-4E83-441E-A7FD-F7151D6CF101.jpeg

Sponsor