• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tahoe updated some requirements to make it safer and easier to understand on certain highways in both California and Nevada.
The Tahoe Daily Tribune had this good article about understanding the requirements.
5 things to know about chain control in Tahoe before you go.

In a post on FB by @SkiNurse regarding the new Colorado DOT requirements for traction control has some people were asking questions about the ratings of tires.
Does Colorado now require snow tires specifically or are mud&snow tires acceptable?

Here are some links that should clarify some things.
https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/assets/FactSheetTractionandPassengerVehicleChainLaw.pdf

Fact Sheet —Traction Law and Passenger Vehicle Chain Law

Traction Law (Code 15) — Use George’s Head to Check Your Tread

• If weather conditions require, CDOT will implement a Traction Law.
  • Under a Traction Law, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the

mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16) — Chain Up or Stay Off
  • During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law

— this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.

• Under a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to

have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Fines

• Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Traction Law or Passenger Vehicle Chain Law could be fined more than $130.

• If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Traction Law or Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.

Test Your Tread
• Find out if your tires are safe for winter driving by doing the Quarter Test:
o Insert a quarter upside down into your tire tread, with Washington’s head

going in first.
o If the top of the head is covered by tread, you’re good to go.
o If the top of his head is visible at any point around the tire (test multiple

points), you can’t drive when a Traction Law is called — you also likely need new tires.

Traffic Facts

• At 60 MPH on snowy pavement, winter tires require 310 ft. to stop. All-season tires require more than double that (668 ft.).

• In 2014, one of the worst traffic delays on the I-70 Mountain Corridor was caused by unprepared motorists. Severe delays were caused by 22 vehicles spinning out and causing crashes — 19 of those vehicles had worn tires.

• Traffic accidents — not volume — account for as much as 60 percent of all traffic delays.

• A crash that only takes 10 minutes to clear can delay traffic for an hour.

Statewide Tire Deals
  • To help motorists prepare for winter driving, CDOT has partnered with tire companies across the state to offer discounts on new tires.

• T o find a tire company with deals near you, visit winter .codot.gov/tires.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The SS Pugski got new tires this year.
This is the same tire we had last time, under a new brand. It was a great M&S tire that held up well
new tires SS Pugski.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ppl drive 60 on pack snow?

On i70, yes, :eek::eek::eek: and faster. :eek::eek::eek: Hence, chains are useless (unless you want to drive behind a semi at 25mph), you really need severe winter rated tires here, and good ones.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
With the right tires and vehicle that doesn't seem particularly fast, IME. You do need to get into the "zen" of driving in winer conditions where a little controlled slippage is just part of the game.
And provided it's cold and no salt has been used, that snow texture has remarkable traction. Start salting and making slush and all bets are off. Most roads up north outside of built-up areas are just plowed and sanded. No problem.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
That's good to know, cause I didn't want to be that guy in the 53 ton truck doing 60 barefoot on snowpack. Like folks said, there's a time and a place for it. Lockers in & a snow load on the drivers.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I remember way back in the day driving down Highway 401 at 100 mph on glare ice just west of Cornwall Ontario during an ice (freezing rain for several days) storm feeling quite proud of myself and my knowledge of physics, an object moving in a straight line will continue in a straight line....... That is, until I realized that a sudden gust of wind counted as an external force. Thanks to quick reflexes and over-boosted power steering I was able to recover after going flat sideways down the road. Learned my lesson though.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I remember way back in the day driving down Highway 401 at 100 mph on glare ice just west of Cornwall Ontario during an ice (freezing rain for several days) storm feeling quite proud of myself and my knowledge of physics, an object moving in a straight line will continue in a straight line....... That is, until I realized that a sudden gust of wind counted as an external force. Thanks to quick reflexes and over-boosted power steering I was able to recover after going flat sideways down the road. Learned my lesson though.
How did your shorts come out of it?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I take it slow whenever there's snow/ice on the ground. My Wrangler had great traction control as it was in 2wheel drive unless I engaged the 4x4. Most of the time I just kept it in 2 wheel unless there was lots of stuff on the ground because the traction control would snap on lighting fast which was cool. One time I was taking a corner a little too fast on a windy road in the road (my fault) but traction control snapped on and bam, instant solid ground. Crosstrek is awd all the time and a different vehicle so it's a different ride. When I have the snows on it I take it slower anyway because even if the roads are dry I feel the rubberyness of the tires and I prefer to go slower. I remember similar rules when we'd drive to big bear but heading up those mountain passes I get why they did it. Even though Vermont's very hilly it's nothing like out west but it always surprises me how many people have 2wd cars and non snow tires in the winter. Safety first...………..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
An tips on descending steep, slick grades. Like your friends driveway from hell.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
An tips on descending steep, slick grades. Like your friends driveway from hell.

If it's truly steep and truly slick, you're probably not going to be able to actually reduce speed at any point, so don't get going faster than you want to be going at the slowest point on the roadway. Ideally, you can accomplish that with engine braking and keep whatever front-wheel traction you have available for steering.

Sponsor

Staff online