• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When Kästles, Stöcklis, and Renouns become commonplace, it is time to elevate your options. I was invited to the Mudroom at Caldera House in Jackson Hole to test out Kästle’s Limited Edition 93mm Supra and Bomber’s new 84mm 50/50 ski, the Pro Terrain. The Mudroom’s manager, Gov Carrigan, made sure that these skis (along with all of the shop's demos) are tuned impeccably on its new Wintersteiger fully automated machine so everyone can get the true feel of an ultra-premium ski.

mudroom-space-2.png

The Mudroom at The Caldera House, Jackson Hole

Supra.png

First up is the Kästle Supra. At 130-93-117, the 177 has a 20.3m radius and is mounted with a Kästle-branded Tyrolia K12 CTI Pro system binding. It has a shape, design, and construction that share nothing, including the location it is assembled, with any mainstream Kästle other than the fact that “Kästle” is embossed on the topsheet. Kästle is not marketing to the Nth-degree skier on the hill; it already builds skis for the Chris Davenports and Griffin Posts of the ski world. The Limited Edition -- yes, limited to 500 numbered pairs -- is meant for the most discriminating skiers looking for refinement. Chances are, they own more than one Breitling timepiece, a Bentley or two, and already have a couple Kästles in the quiver at one of their homes -- one of which could very well be at Jackson.

On the snow, the Supra has the feel of an MX89. The DNA is there for sure, but there is an extra level of smoothness. Where the MX needs 30 mph to get its jam on, the Supra is fine at 20; where the MX wants to control your experience, the Supra is more, dare I say, submissive. Think about a car that needs to be driven versus one that likes to be driven -- but still has the power. This goes back to the Bentley I mentioned earlier. The Supra is not a gussied-up MX; it is a different experience.

Bomber_Ski_Pro_Terrain_All_Mountain_Radar_Red_Ski_800x800.png

The Bomber Pro Terrain comes in at 125-84-111 in a 171 with a published 18m turn radius. Mounted with a Vist 412 system binding, the Pro Terrain was a surprise bordering on shock. I haven’t been on a Bomber since some of the early production models a few years ago (see reviews HERE). The 171 was a bit short for me; the 181 would be a great sizei for, say Sun Valley, but on the tighter Jackson Hole trails, I decided to err on the shorter side. I would love, love, love to get on this in a 175-177. I mean, we are talking about a ski whose price tag has a curved number to the left of the comma, therefore a buyer who isn't accustomed to compromising; with 10cm size increments, some will fall in between sizes.

On-snow performance of the Pro Terrain is stellar. What I was most impressed with was not so much how the ski enters the turn, which is uber smooth, but how it exits. The Pro Terrain has one of the best turn finishes I have ever experienced from a consumer-level ski. I have been on all too many skis where the design focus was on the forebody and the tail never got the same attention; with the All Terrain, I could tell that the back half received just as much attention as, if not more than, the rest of the ski.​
  • Who are they for? The 1 percenters. No, these will not turn you into Stein, Pirmin, Dav, or even Bode, but you will feel like them on the snow. These skis say you can buy a turn -- and a very smooth one, at that.
  • Who are they not for? The 99 percenters. But if you do play the poor man’s retirement plan (aka the lottery) and happen to win, your first call should be to Gov at the Mudroom.
  • Insider tip I: Don’t demo these skis if you are not willing to spend the money. They are indeed a step up from even your "typical" $1,500 skis.
  • Insider tip II: Ignore Insider tip I. Do demo these; treat yourself. You might not be able to afford a $250K car, but you can test drive one in Vegas or Beverly Hills. It's the same with a $2K ski. If you are in Jackson Hole, demo one or both of them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At that price the Bomber folks should hire a professional graphic designer. :rolleyes:
Bomber offers a multitude of graphic options. I will say the image does not do the graphics justice, the skis look very good in person, simple, clean and understated.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, dissembling aside, it would be nice to know what these cost.

Not judging, just saying! ogwink

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, dissembling aside, it would be nice to know what these cost.

Not judging, just saying! ogwink
The Bomber is $1,900.00 flat and the Kastle Supra is $1,749.00

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gov is a really cool dude and brother of a good friend back east. Great to see the shop looking so good and glad to hear you and guests are treated so well.

Is that the same Gov who ran Pepi's? Nice guy.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is that the same Gov who ran Pepi's? Nice guy.
If you recall, @Supergaper used to work for Gov at Pepi's but since is out of retail business but he did see me at The Mudroom and stopped by to say Hi.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
As always I love reading these reviews. @Philpug always nails the language for the high end products......still love the quote from last year to describe the SR 88's "ooze refinement and "not for people who drink 40's out of a paper bag." ....

"They are indeed a step up from even your "typical" $1,500 skis".......What, in terms of construction or design separates these from a $1,500 ski? How can a ski achieve the performance at a lower speed as the MX88 and still have the same stability at speed? Also have never heard for Bomber, clearly don't have a Bentley or a Swiss time peice, but I like the low key look......are they made locally in Jackson??

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As always I love reading these reviews. @Philpug always nails the language for the high end products......still love the quote from last year to describe the SR 88's "ooze refinement and "not for people who drink 40's out of a paper bag." ....

"They are indeed a step up from even your "typical" $1,500 skis".......What, in terms of construction or design separates these from a $1,500 ski? How can a ski achieve the performance at a lower speed as the MX88 and still have the same stability at speed? Also have never heard for Bomber, clearly don't have a Bentley or a Swiss time peice, but I like the low key look......are they made locally in Jackson??
The Kästles are produced in a small propratary facility in Mittersill Austria and the Bombers are built in Cossato Italy.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
And here I thought I was on something special with my Stockli skis. This does bring one question to mind, are there any custom ski builders still in business?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I thought I was on something special with my Stockli skis. This does bring one question to mind, are there any custom ski builders still in business?

Folsom and Parlor spring to mind.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
To echo another question: what is there under the hood that provides this increased performance? I can rationalize why Kastle, Stockli, Renoun, DPS etc cost more than regular skis. I understand why people pay Wagner for a full custom. What does Supra have under the top sheets? Just curious...

James

Out There
Instructor
I think I would like the Bomber all terrain. What's the profile?

Is Vist still viable? Geez they made such a mess of selling their products here.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I would like the Bomber all terrain. What's the profile?
The well heeled. Trust funders. Those who know what vintage Zin's are the best.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Go into a Gorsuch shop next time you're in CO (or Park City). They have super high end luxury skis (in velvet lined boxes). It's really ridiculous, but clearly there's a market for them (of which I'm not part of).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Go into a Gorsuch shop next time you're in CO (or Park City). They have super high end luxury skis (in velvet lined boxes). It's really ridiculous, but clearly there's a market for them (of which I'm not part of).
Yes, you can get into the $10K range with Zai.

Sponsor

Staff online