• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you don't start young, it is very difficult ski naturally. It is sort of like learning a language--if you start early you can have an absolutely perfect native-speaker accent. If you start late you can learn a big vocabulary, but will always have an accent.

I have a friend who became extremely enthusiastic late in life, skied every day with a ton of good coaching in the Harb System (am I allowed to say that here?) and became the best late- learning skier I know, a very, very good skier. I can't help but think would be even better if he started before the brain fossilizes though.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you don't start young, it is very difficult ski naturally. It is sort of like learning a language--if you start early you can have an absolutely perfect native-speaker accent. If you start late you can learn a big vocabulary, but will always have an accent.

I have a friend who became extremely enthusiastic late in life, skied every day with a ton of good coaching in the Harb System (am I allowed to say that here?) and became the best late- learning skier I know, a very, very good skier. I can't help but think would be even better if he started before the brain fossilizes though.

Yes, I am finding that a lot of determination only goes so far in skiing if you learned as an adult.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mmmmm, maybe we shoulda selected our parents with a bit more care. :doh:

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Ultimate way to take up skiing and progress quickly?

1. Have a kid who takes up skiing
  2. Watch the child ski from the base of the slope with coffee in hand
  3. Give up waiting and try to join your kid
  4. Figure out, only way to join your kid is to work twice as hard as offspring to have even a shot at keeping up
  5. Discover "Skiing is about the only sport where you can be with your kid for hours on end, and they sometimes are ok with it"
  6. Figure out handling a video camera in motion behind your kid requires some very reasonable, balance, environmental awareness and balance skills
  7. Learn "Follow me Dad/Mom" are the three most dangerous words in the ski lexicon
  8. So invest in lessons, in groups, solo, video and ski with others who are better skiers, and are willing and able to offer constructive advice
  9. Then go back and join kid and realize the skills gap is even 'wider'
  10. Keep skiing to try to catch
  11. It becomes a lifelong endeavor
  12. You will see progress and it comes a lot quicker than you thought possible

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
All good info. A little different perspective.

I started at 29 and tried to immerse myself in all things skiing. i was able to take a lot of lessons but for the first 10 years i dont think i skied more than 10 days per season. It wasnt until i was able to start skiing at least 20 days that i began to make real progress. I actually skied off piste for the first time 10 years ago. The number of days really makes a difference.

I also have worked on balance and core. Getting super strong is not inportant. Cardio balance core and key strenghtening is far more critical and Stretch dammit

Another element i have learned through my many pt's is that you have to have proper body alignment. I have worked on good posture and made some real improvements simply due to this. I see a lot of skiers with poor sking stance and posture.

Lastly slow down, work on funamentals fundamentals fundamental and Dont be afraid to fall!!!!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ultimate way to take up skiing and progress quickly?

1. Have a kid who takes up skiing
  2. Watch the child ski from the base of the slope with coffee in hand
  3. Give up waiting and try to join your kid
  4. Figure out, only way to join your kid is to work twice as hard as offspring to have even a shot at keeping up
  5. Discover "Skiing is about the only sport where you can be with your kid for hours on end, and they sometimes are ok with it"
  6. Figure out handling a video camera in motion behind your kid requires some very reasonable, balance, environmental awareness and balance skills
  7. Learn "Follow me Dad/Mom" are the three most dangerous words in the ski lexicon
  8. So invest in lessons, in groups, solo, video and ski with others who are better skiers, and are willing and able to offer constructive advice
  9. Then go back and join kid and realize the skills gap is even 'wider'
  10. Keep skiing to try to catch
  11. It becomes a lifelong endeavor
  12. You will see progress and it comes a lot quicker than you thought possible
Great post.
I know I got more excited about skiing when my niece and nephew started showing interest and its because of them that I do what I do.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I started skiing @ 29. The whole 'people who skied as kids, etc' trope is only partially true. Presently, I easily out ski the guys and gals I grew up with who 'skied' as kids. Because, like most 'kid, teen, college' skiers they were relatively infrequent fliers, or unfocused sliders whose youthful, rubbery athleticism allowed a host of ungainly movements to work on most hills. Like the vast majority of 'skiing since childhood skiers' , they compiled a fair number of family ski weekends, a few high school trips, a couple of college trips, but no real focused, consistent on snow development . The hills of VT, CO, UT, CA are full of skidding twisters who've 'skied since they were kids' , but as they've aged the gross motor madness that seemed to have no effect on their level of fun years ago is now holding them back.

The 'skied as kids' skiers who stand out as adults that I encounter now are ones who 1. lived up north near a mountain and skied all the time (as, they were part of a family that made it an absolute priority) and, 2. if they are really good, they participated for several seasons in a club-level ski racing program, competitive freestyle program, etc.

Other than that, the higher quality skiers I know may have skied as kids, but it's the fact that in early adulthood they made a stronger and more focused commitment to skiing (joining a ski school, moving to the mountains and becoming part of a 'crew' of rippers, joining a patrol, getting into nastar, etc). And that's what I suggest is the real key: Find a way to ski to a measurable standard-that is, pursue a certification, race goal, anything measurable that forces you to think about technique and work along a set path. Join a ski school and work your way through the national certifications (CSIA, PSIA, AASI, hell, even BASI), get involved in USSA coaching and work through those levels and race NASTAR, Join Patrol and try to become a Full Cert and regional level ski and toboggan instructor, don't just 'go' to PMTS camps, but set becoming a green and eventually blue level instructor as a specific goal.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

This has nothing to do with skiing, but I met a 175lb Newfy yesterday. So adorable. And ginormous.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All good info. A little different perspective.

Lastly slow down, work on fundamentals fundamentals fundamental

:thumb::thumb:
So true but so few know about and/or adhere to it.
Speed will come, by then it's no big deal.

Sponsor