• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
What would be the ultimate way to take up skiing and progress as quickly as possible?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @Kris@BisteTech to the white courtesy phone. I believe Kris has a plan. I will let him talk about his methodology. :popcorn:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My recipe for skiing improvement.

Make sure your equipment is adequate, that is boots fit properly and boots and skis are able to perform at a high enough level. I think most beginner skis are too forgiving and do not reward proper movements enough.

Get a season's pass so you will go skiing more often.

Expose your self to as much information and instruction (includes reading books, joining lesson programs, racing programs, etc.) as you can handle without getting sick of it. Don't overdo it, but only do it if it is fun for you. Join the race team only if it is fun, take a series of lessons if you enjoy taking them and can afford them.

Try out all the tips and instructions you get, make judgements for yourself, but keep an open mind.

Spend most of your time skiing conditions (hardpack, moguls, fresh snow, trees, backcountry, whatever) you enjoy skiing the most, but also ski all other conditions at least some of the time.

Caveat: I'm not an instructor, just a skier so take my advice with a grain of salt.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Probably be a NHL all star forward. Fast feet, dynamic balance and vision have got to help right?

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get out as much as possible, especially if the skiing is shit. Go with people better than you. Ski bell to bell on days off.

If you can afford instruction it will speed things up. If you cant just get a pass and ski through it all.

WTFH

Booting up
Skier
Lessons, open mind, experience.

..and take lessons from a variety of coaches. If you stick to one coach, or one resort, or one type of skiing, you might be great at that, but useless if the conditions don't match the one thing you've been taught.

Learn by observing others - when you're riding the lift, when you're sitting at the bar at the side of the slope. Spot the good things and the bad things.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Ski more days, not more hours. Think about learning to play a musical instrument. Which do you think would be better? Playing 1 hour every day of the week, or 5 hours a day only on the weekend? (7 hours total vs. 10 hours total.)

Ski 2 hours a day 3 weekdays and then bell to bell on the weekend for example. Try not to go more than one day in a row without skiing, maybe 2. Muscle memory.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This.
Oh, wait a minute, I clicked "quote" but it didn't.

What Kneale said:
"The ONLY way to progress rapidly is to go skiing frequently with good guidance."

When people say ski with others who are better than you, that can actually be a problem. It was for me when I skied with people who I thought were better. They were faster. I learned some very bad habits trying to keep up with them. My constant thought, silently said to myself, was. "Is this safe?" It wasn't. And they weren't. But I was new and didn't know that, and thought that speed meant skill.

When people say ski often, that can be good but what you are doing is embedding your current habits deeply into muscle memory. I'd add to skiing often, in all kinds of conditions, that you should try different things while doing that. Be experimental in your skiing; don't do the exact same turn every time, hoping for the best. Oh, and get good guidance aka lessons with the right person.

Good guidance and boots that fit are he best things you can go for. Good luck on finding both, and on recognizing them when you do!

Last edited:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Boots boots boots boots. Can not stress that enough. Then an instructor/mentor that you get along with but can also learn from.

What do a bootfitter and a ski instructor have in common?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This.
Oh, wait a minute, I clicked "quote" but it didn't.
It seems to be a two-step process, quote on the post and then the "Insert these quotes" button.

When people say ski with others who are better than you, that can actually be a problem. It was for me when I skied with people who I thought were better. They were faster. I learned some very bad habits trying to keep up with them. My constant thought, silently said to myself, was. "Is this safe?" It wasn't. And they weren't. But I was new and didn't know that, and thought that speed meant skill.

I still believe in "ski with people better than you." They have to actually be competent of course, and at first how would you know? Also they can't be too much better -- they should represent an achievable goal. Skiing with others at a similar ability level can have the similar benefits -- it reinforces expectations.

This isn't about technical details, usually. (Though there may be occasional snippets of instruction). It is about the big picture: choosing lines, understanding what is doable, weeding out the things that keep you from keeping up. You raise the bar in a way you would not on your own.

One of the joys of gatherings and family reunions is skiing with a large group of good skiers. A few are a lot better than me, most are a little better, similar, or a little worse.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm going to go back and question the original question. What does "progress" mean? Ski beautifully, or ski difficult runs?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor