• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Uber/Lyft/Taxi from DIA with ski bags

Manny

Booting up
Skier
We're going to Colorado for a week of skiing but rental car prices at Denver airport are so exorbitantly high ($700/wk for mid-size), that I decided to make my reservation at an off-airport Avis, and just Uber/Lyft/Taxi there to pick up the car. I can get a mid-size SUV there for $350 so that's a no brainer, IMO.
The question I have and I figured someone here would be familiar with the process is whether I can fit 2 double-ski bags and 3 adults inside a regular car (w/ partial rear seat folded down), or if I should call for an Uber XL or Lyft equivalent. I know now there's Uber Ski as well but if it's just a Prius with a ski box on top that's not going to cut it :) Has anyone here had any experience doing a similar thing?
And yes I looked at Turo and there's nothing better available for that week. It's Xmas week so I imagine it's a busy week.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You can order an Uber XL. A regular Uber is unlikely to work.

But depending on where the Avis is -- call and confirm they don't have an airport shuttle.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have rented offsite and taken Uber/Lyft from DIA at least five times. Half of the time there was barely enough space for me and my single ski bag.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The train was pretty easy, if the car rental place is anywhere near a station.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
An airport shuttle may not work. I don't think rental companies will send a shuttle to rent you a cheaper car, and when you rent a car in town you still need to pay the airport tax, or sign a statement that you did not come from the airport.

I-70 is a mess with construction now. Thursday morning there were 40 minute delays to the airport. OTOH the light rail works really well, even with a ski bag. Unfortunately I haven't found a rental car within luggage dragging distance from the light rail. The closest one I've found is an Enterprise on 26th, which is close enough when I don't have skis.

The cheapest way will be light rail + Uber, and it may not be much slower than Uber only. Or have a beer at one of the bars on Wynkoop St and send your wife to pick up the rental car.

dm

Last edited:
TS
M

Manny

Booting up
Skier
The Avis office is at the Doubletree on Quebec St. so no hotel shuttle. If it was only me I'd take the train but there are 3 of us plus bags so the train at $10.50 each isn't going to be much cheaper or worth the hassle. Thanks for the replies. Uber XL it is.
And the $350 cost includes the airport tax and recovery fee because I'm actually dropping off the car at the airport.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We're going to Colorado for a week of skiing but rental car prices at Denver airport are so exorbitantly high ($700/wk for mid-size), that I decided to make my reservation at an off-airport Avis, and just Uber/Lyft/Taxi there to pick up the car. I can get a mid-size SUV there for $350 so that's a no brainer, IMO.
The question I have and I figured someone here would be familiar with the process is whether I can fit 2 double-ski bags and 3 adults inside a regular car (w/ partial rear seat folded down), or if I should call for an Uber XL or Lyft equivalent. I know now there's Uber Ski as well but if it's just a Prius with a ski box on top that's not going to cut it :) Has anyone here had any experience doing a similar thing?
And yes I looked at Turo and there's nothing better available for that week. It's Xmas week so I imagine it's a busy week.

Worst case you take the cheapest Uber to get the rental car and then pick up the rest of the people and gear at the airport on the rental. That said, DIA is at least 30min from Denver so its gonna take a while.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The cheapest way will be light rail + Uber, and it may not be much slower than Uber only. Or have a beer at one of the bars on Wynkoop St and send your wife to pick up the rental car.

dm
I was just being a wise ass with that quote above, but if you have 4 people you can light rail to Quebec St, one guy can get the car on foot and pick the others up at Union Station. That might actually work, and be faster than an Uber. An Uber X is gonna around $100.

dm

TS
M

Manny

Booting up
Skier
I was just being a wise ass with that quote above, but if you have 4 people you can light rail to Quebec St, one guy can get the car on foot and pick the others up at Union Station. That might actually work, and be faster than an Uber. An Uber X is gonna around $100.

dm
Both Uber and Lyft online fare estimator are telling me around $50.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OTOH the light rail works really well, even with a ski bag. Unfortunately I haven't found a rental car within luggage dragging distance from the light rail. The closest one I've found is an Enterprise on 26th, which is close enough when I don't have skis.
Whichever Enterprise is the closest to the end of the line station in Littleton said they’d pick us up.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Whichever Enterprise is the closest to the end of the line station in Littleton said they’d pick us up.
That's the one on Commerce Center Circle, right off 85.

It's about an hour ride on RTD -- A line to Union Station, then C line to the end.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The problem with those small Enterprise stores is that they don't usually have many cars. The Enterprise on 26th and Elliot stuck me with a RWD 4Runner with an open diff last year. It was the only car they had.

To be safe, Luxury Car Rentals on 33rd guarantees 4WD and will deliver. Get a Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV for $2000 a day and travel to the mountains in style.

dm

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with those small Enterprise stores is that they don't usually have many cars. The Enterprise on 26th and Elliot stuck me with a RWD 4Runner with an open diff last year. It was the only car they had.

To be safe, Luxury Car Rentals on 33rd guarantees 4WD and will deliver. Get a Rolls Royce Cullinan SUV for $2000 a day and travel to the mountains in style.

dm
We've only used them the one time, but they actually had what I’d reserved, so all was good. We didn’t test them on the picking us up part - @VickieH was providing transport.ogsmile

Luxury Car Rentals got anything for real-people prices?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Have you considered a shuttle to your destination and renting locally? One thing that will most likely get you is snow tires on your rental as well as a ski rack.