• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
kids freeze in line at the start, and taking a little kid who is already nervous and has to pee (why do they always have to pee?)
This is because exposure to cold increases urine production. Urine output is related to the volume of circulating body fluids which is sensed by pressure receptors. When the surface blood vessels constrict due to cold, blood is shunted towards the core stimulating the central baroreceptors and increasing urine production. At really low temperatures, the ability of the kidneys to concentrate urine is also impaired.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2bc4341d-1374-428a-99fd-19d97590e8a1-original.jpg

All good except the speedsuits. My three grandsons all just got them this past winter and love them. It'd be a major disappointment to them to have to go without. This was the day before the little one got his new suit. They are ages 7, 8, and 11.

Great example of one other aspect of speed suits that I believe has not been brought up: it’s easy to see what goes on with their legs. Angles, positions etc. Normal baggy ski pants makes it harder to see.

Jeff_team FAST

Booting up
Skier
So I'm our clubs u12, u10, u8 travel coach and a former FIS racer (a looong time ago)...I'm also the parent of a 1st year u16 and second year u10.

Overall, I think these rules are helpful, not for the kids and parents who are already "all in" for ski racing but for those families who are considering the sport.

I've seen kids in the u10, u12 range, who've had almost no race training decide to race in their free ride gear and demolish the kids on race skis and race suits. We want to get these kids to race. So the 2 races per season where race suits are not allowed are great venues to expand the field size and get more kids involved. Both the kids and the parents won't feel like they're at a disadvantage because they don't have the best equipment. I think the same applies to multiple pairs of skis. Those of us who have some experience, know it's the skier, not the equipment. But if you're a kid or parent who's new to ski racing, then I think it's perfectly normal to think the race equipment gives a significant advantage and then feel pressure to get all the gear if you want your kid to have even a chance...Faulty logic, but also understandable.

I completely agree that a race suit is not really necessary at the u10 or likey even the u12 level, but if a kid is into racing and wants to wear one, then great. Both of my sons love their race suits and wear them EVERY day (their choice, not mine)...Even on powder days under their jackets and powder pants because that's what they're used to and to be honest, they are a great insulation layer.

I don't think there are any changes USSA can make that will convince the over-enthusiastic parents to stop buying expensive wax and multiple pairs of skis. But I do think USSA can make events where the playing field is seen as more level to those who are new to the sport. Seems like this is an attempt to do that and hopefully will get a few more kids interested in racing

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I know that this posting is about a USSA rule change, but I think the argument still pertains to kids ski racing in general. In any case as a different data point, we just received the new season racing rules for our kids in Europe. From U8 the following is REQUIRED: Speed suit, Back protector, FIS certified helmet. From U12 onward, the suit must also be FIS.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
FIS suit for U12 is frankly dumb.....how many manufacturers even make a FIS suit for that age/size.....in addition the price differential cranks it up from about $300/suit to over $600.

Are they going to ensure undergarments are also FIS approved as well? Lol

Making the suit REQUIRED is dumb. Options sure, required no way.

Up here FIS approved helmets for U14 and up. And if I remember correctly, FIS approved suits for FIS. Don’t think it’s required even at U16, however many/most have them given adult sizes.

What manufacturer even makes a FIS approved helmet for U8? The super common POCito is not....

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I was just giving another data point. No reasons were given for the requirements, just that those were the rules for 2019/20 licences.
I do agree FIS suit for U12 is dumb- All the clubs here have custom suits for their junior racers and the pricing isn't too awful.(+90 euro for the FIS) They don't require you wear the team suit- so you can go buy your Spyder Energiapura, etc... but it seems cheaper to just buy the club one if you don't have one already or can pick up a used one.
You are required to buy the club Jacket, Pants and Softshells though..
As for the helmet, my U8 (and U10) both wear the Briko Vulcano FIS JR helmets- it is adjustable like the POCito. I know the POC (non -ito model) is FIS certified as long as your kid's head is big enough. Lot of kids wearing the Rossignol FIS Junior or the Brikos here.

Last edited:

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
As a parent of 3 junior racers (currently two U16s and a retired/now coaching U19) in New England:

Skis: great rule, wish they started this years ago. At U12 level trainers are ridiculous. Just adds cost and hassle and mostly intimidation factor to those kids/parents who are without.
Speedsuits: bad rule, just can't see the point. As others have mentioned, kids at that age love them, make them feel like real racers. They are available used for a reasonable price. They do make coaching a little easier as you can see what's going on more clearly. They are colder but if it's really frigid just wear the parka/snow pants over the suit, even for the race. Finally, contrary to some opinions here, they do make kids faster. For some U12s, not a concern. For two of my three, they were competitive and knew they felt faster in a speedsuit. They insisted on speeduits starting as 1st year U12s.
Wax: great rule but I thought fluoro waxes no longer exist anyway. Not to mention this rule is impossible to enforce.

My avatar is my son at age 12, 1st year U14. Try telling him he can't wear a speedsuit!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online