• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia/Fischer/Head Powerrail/Racetrack binding system

Jon D

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if folks had an opinion about the Tyrolia Powerrail/Racetrack binding system. Specifically, Fischer has this system on it's RC4 WC RC ski. the highest DIN binding they offer for this system is the Z12 (also the MBS 13 but not sure it's actually different?).

i'm asking because the toe piece is attached to the racetrack plate with a single plastic, rotating part. the heal has a similar part but metal. I'm NOT talking about the Freeflex bindings.

Tyrolia has had this system for a few years now. any experience with it? is it durable, reliable etc.? i'm a heavy guy, 235ish, ski pretty fast, do Nastar, etc. east coast, near tree line, etc.

i know it's adjustable and very light but can you ski hard on this or always have a little bit of doubt?

thanks...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
To paraphrase your post: 'Will the powerrail hold up to my weight and usage?' I would say, yes.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have a Fischer WC SC with the Fischer FR12 bindings. I'm not sure what year, the year before the hole in the tip, They are maybe 9 years old. I am not even close to your weight, but I have hammered these skis at high speeds in rough conditions with the bindings set at 8. No problems so far. Released when needed; held on when needed.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
We’ve used those with the ExoticSkis Test crew with very good results.

TS
J

Jon D

Skier
thanks guys. any others out there with knowledge/experience on this binding system? yes, my question is whether they are durable enough to stand up to hard skiing with a heavy skier safely over multiple years. the toe piece is held to the race plate literally with a single plastic part, rotating with a flimsy wire spring. it just seems weird to me because i've seen so many bindings drilled into the ski with multiple very strong Torx screws that this system seems quite different. but they've had this product in the market for a few years so i would presume they've gotten enough feedback on the design. thanks again if you have any knowledge.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This one?

1200.jpg

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
MBS is Multi Boot Standard for alpine (ISO 5355), GripWalk, and Walk to Ride. Basically it has a lot of height adjustment in the antifriction plate.

When you write,"the toe piece is held to the race plate literally with a single plastic part, rotating with a flimsy wire spring," are you referring to the position adjuster that holds the toe piece in position on the rail? I've skied on several of these, and friends are on them, and no problems noted, tho' none of us are cliff jumpers.

By the way, Torx screw heads have the six-pointed star. Most ski bindings use the four-point Pozidriv #3 screw heads, a bit different from a #3 Phillips.

TS
J

Jon D

Skier
yes, that is the binding, Dwight. yes, i am referring to the plastic position adjuster - it's the only thing only you in to the ski. yes, Pozidriv, not Torx, my bad. thanks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
yes, that is the binding, Dwight. yes, i am referring to the plastic position adjuster - it's the only thing only you in to the ski. yes, Pozidriv, not Torx, my bad. thanks.

The adjuster is the only thing keeping the binding toe from going forward and back. There aren't any real back forces when skiing and the forward ones are pretty well mitigated by the nearly frictionless aspect of the ski; it just has to be strong enough to deal with sufficient forward pressure from the heel to keep the binding engaged with the boot sole.

The rail system provides more than adequate strength to address the twisting and upwards loads that develop from actual skiing.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The powerrail has been around since 2010, it's durable.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
We’ve used those with the ExoticSkis Test crew with very good results.

Bump on the Tyrolia PowerRail PRD bindings (yes, the ones in the pic from Dwight). We/ve been abusing them for many seasons, swapping bindings between test skis in seconds without tools, and have never had any problems with the bindings or the plates. I can't remember the last time I had a prerelease in a pair. Extra plates can be ordered, so you can mount a bunch of skis with the plates and carry one or two sets of actual bindings on your outings with mutiple sets of skis. Personally, they work great, and with the addition of the MBS (Multiple Boot Sole) toes in the PowerRail lineup, you can use a bunch of different boots with this setup.

TS
J

Jon D

Skier
alright. sounds like a good system! thanks all very much for the contributions. -Jon

TS
J

Jon D

Skier
I checked the binding again yesterday. the toe piece part I was worried about is actually metal, not plastic. the part is black and looks extruded and the similar part in the heal is silver and clearly metal, so i was confused. but it's definitely a metal on metal situation holding the toe piece in place. looking forward to skiing these with confidence on my RC4s

Sponsor

Staff online