• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Adrenaline 13

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm looking to add a wide ski to my quiver for deeper snow when traveling west because I have friends & family that ski off piste regularly and I'd like to join them. I'm thinking of mounting the Tyrolia Adrenalin 13 so I can skin with them and I love my Attacks 13's.

My question is if I don't get off piste as much as I hope will I be disappointed with these when skiing inbounds? The stand height is almost twice the Attack...

TS
David

David

Skier
If I would be disappointed why and what is the best alternative without a tech binding or finding an old pair of Alpine Trekkers?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as I know nobody likes frame bindings. The CAST mod for Pivots, Atomic Shift and Fritschi Tecton are all better but cost more.

I have never used frame bindings myself but the complaints are stack height downhill and a lot of extra weight going up.

TS
David

David

Skier
As far as I know nobody likes frame bindings. The CAST mod for Pivots, Atomic Shift and Fritschi Tecton are all better but cost more.

I have never used frame bindings myself but the complaints are stack height downhill and a lot of extra weight going up.
If I lived in the west it would be worth a dedicated setup and trying to find a tech boot for my 5E swampers. But for the occasional skin I can deal with the weight going up. Is the stack height that big of a deal?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I lived in the west it would be worth a dedicated setup and trying to find a tech boot for my 5E swampers. But for the occasional skin I can deal with the weight going up. Is the stack height that big of a deal?

Abstractly I could see it mattering, I’ve never used them so can’t tell you anything from personal experience.

I really think binding/boot interface variability is generically hugely personal (ramp angles, stack height, etc) so I’m not sure my experience would teach you much even if I had. You seem worried about it so what concerns you?

TS
David

David

Skier
Abstractly I could see it mattering, I’ve never used them so can’t tell you anything from personal experience.

I really think binding/boot interface variability is generically hugely personal (ramp angles, stack height, etc) so I’m not sure my experience would teach you much even if I had. You seem worried about it so what concerns you?

Being in the midwest I don't get to ski deep snow much so I want gear that will help not hinder in powder & crud.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The Adrenaline is absurdly lllooooonnnng. It skis pretty good, but it really changes the flex points of the ski you mount them to.

If you KNOW you will be skinning, it is an OK frame binding. It skis better than a Fritschi and tours better than a Marker... but it will make the ski you mount it to ski WAY worse than a conventional binding. So, if you will use it to tour the compromise is probably fine. If you don't actually uae it to tour? You paid top dollar for a shitty performing ski set-up.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have Attacks on all my wide skis. I have had Adrenalins on them as well. Yes, there is a difference. Is it huge? For me: no. If you don't want a tech setup, the Adrenalin is your best option I think.

Reactions: BMC
TS
David

David

Skier
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I should see if I can find some old Alpine Trekkers for the occasional ski.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
But why? What is X2 and what alternatives are there other than bootpacking while others are skinning?

I’ve used mine for 3 years, but in the east- skinning is a fitness thing.

The Ambition is hands down the best frame binding- yet it’s almost 4cm above the ski. If you like the Attack at 16mm tall- get some snowshoes with a heel lift, it will be 1000x easier, you will have a crampon & can use any ski.

That’s what I’ve come to.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
But why? What is X2 and what alternatives are there other than bootpacking while others are skinning?

X2 = times 2 ==> by agreeing, he's doubled the #

TS
David

David

Skier
I’ve used mine for 3 years, but in the east- skinning is a fitness thing.

The Ambition is hands down the best frame binding- yet it’s almost 4cm above the ski. If you like the Attack at 16mm tall- get some snowshoes with a heel lift, it will be 1000x easier, you will have a crampon & can use any ski.

That’s what I’ve come to.
I have snowshoes and I've used them a few times here in MI but I was afraid if I used them I'd make everyone have to wait for me.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have snowshoes and I've used them a few times here in MI but I was afraid if I used them I'd make everyone have to wait for me.

It depends heavily how much up vs. across you’re doing. I have trouble believing snowshoes are slower than frame bindings in situations where you are mostly going straight up, especially if you put on something with a flexible cuff to use with the snow shoes.

Flatter tours I think there would be more of a gap but I’ve never used snowshoes or frame bindings to try and keep up with people on pin bindings. I can tell you the experience of AT skiing really only feels faster or easier than walking on flatter terrain and downhill.

TS
David

David

Skier
Sounds like using my snowshoes may be the way to go as long as I'm living in the midwest.

Has anyone tried the DayMakers? They have pretty good reviews but are pricey.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd suggest the Salo-tomic Shift.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Brian Finch - how does the ambition ski compared to the adrenaline?

The Adrenaline is near the equivalent to a Marker Duke - overbuilt, bomber, huge dead spot as @Mike Thomas points out well. I actually heard a rumor that it’s been slated for retirement several times, yet keeps returning.

The Ambition is lighter, but tall & flexy. My biggest grip is that it’s very tippy due to its height & at my 145 pounds, is hard to pivot/smear. It’s almost 4 cm above the deck. That said- the Ambition has 3 climbing levels & is quite good at the ups. The other issue being so tall is that the ski feels heavy due to the extended moment arm.