• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two spaces or one?

One space or two?

• One space

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Two spaces

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This one is for you @SBrown. I hope it doesn't make you hyperventilate.
One space between each sentence, they said.

Snip from article:
And so the rules of typography fell into chaos. “Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong,” Farhad Manjoo wrote in Slate in 2011. “You can have my double space when you pry it from my cold, dead hands,” Megan McArdle wrote in the Atlantic the same year. (And yes, she double-spaced it.)

Maybe I'll be more consistent with this one of these days.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Double spacing makes me st stutter .

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just re-read this article and I wonder how this writer got it past the editor.
Like this part:
And that's just English. Somewrittenlanguageshavenospacesatall and o thers re quire a space be tween ev e ry syl la ble.

Ob viously, thereneed to be standards. Unless you're doing avant - garde po e try, or something , you can'tjustspacew ords ho w e v e r y o u want. That would be insanity. Or at least,

obnoxious.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
The blame justly lays with the scalable font and the loss of many well-worn copies of Strunk & White.

When I use the item below, however, double spacing prevails.

12A4B405-82AC-42B6-92FB-EDC3B242CF15.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I know it's only supposed to be one anymore, but my thumb can't seem to be retrained. It really doesn't matter on the web, as the browser will compress it anyway and just treat any of it as "some amount of whitespace goes here".

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Why use spaces at all, the period doesn't need help.It's just a waste of space...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The blame justly lays with the scalable font and the loss of many well-worn copies of Strunk & White.

When I use the item below, however, double spacing prevails.

View attachment 45371

We have a winner! As one of our younger consultants pointed out to me when I was editing a proposal " the use of 2 spaces is a throwback to old far$s who grew up with typewriters. It is not required any more! ".

Now I never really used a typewriter and and am still a ( fast) 2 (or sometimes 4) finger typist but I still find myself using a double space...

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
In my high school typing class, they insisted on two spaces. I did it that way until I got into my current job. Got in a lot of trouble every time I double spaced. Now I'm scared to do it any more.:eek:

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A paragraph reads easier when the sentences are more separated.

Using two spaces helps the reader. Not all readers need the help, but some appreciate it.

Folks do get to feel good about themselves doing it in what they feel is the better way, which makes them better than the old farts who use two spaces. Plus they save trees by using less paper.

Funny thing, many of these same people leave an extra line between paragraphs.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It should be what good written grammer has always dictated, 2 spaces. Why should fashion change form?

If you are typing on a typewriter, which on very rare occasions I have to do, what is correct today?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years. I don't remember anything about two spaces from high school typing.

On the other hand, I almost got into a fistfight once with a General Dynamics Tech Editor about whether it was an avionics system (me) or an avionic system (him).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Pretty sure it's just: the avionics ogwink

Two spaces on a typewriter, one on computers with scalable fonts. Readability trumps rules :micdrop:

Sponsor

Staff online