• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two questions about DIN adjustment

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi everyone, I have 2 questions about adjusting the DIN setting on the bindings. They are kind of related.

1) Is it really necessary to reduce the DIN to the lowest setting after season end for summer storage? You know, when you hoard too many pairs, it start to become a pain.

2) What exact sizes of the screw drivers are the most appropriate for DIN adjustment? I know I at least need 2. One flathead and one pozi(?). I currently use a pocket ski/snowboard screwdriver tool. But the flathead not wide enough and leaves marks on the screwhead.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
1. I have never set DINs down for the summer. I have never seen a binding spring break, either. Nor do I find older bindings more difficult to calibrate or farther off the initial setting than newer bindings.

2. Pozi #3 is the standard.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2A. Salomon/Atomic/Armada and Look Pivots require a flathead for heel adjustment.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
2) It depends on your bindings. Some of mine take a standard flat blade screwdriver...5/16" works well. Others take the #3 Pozidriv, although a #3 Phillips is OK. It's risky to use the Phillips when a Pozi screw is tight, but it's OK with the screws that set binding release.

How often do you fiddle with your release settings, anyway? Set correctly & forget.

I've run across three types of + screw heads & drivers. Phillips (no markings), Pozidriv (slash mark on each quadrant), and JIS (dot on the screw head). It's always best to match the screwdriver to the screw head, and really important when that screw is tight and you absolutely don't want to strip out the head. Throw out worn screw drivers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How often do you fiddle with your release settings, anyway? Set correctly & forget.
I don't fiddle with them... but I do get them checked and potentially adjusted at the beginning of each season.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1. Backing off the DIN setting is something I stopped doing. Based on the posts above many other don't do it as well.
2. The PZ 3 is one, and the flat blade screw driver for DIN setting is a 3/8th width. Anything narrower would slip and mark the screw head as the OP mentioned.

TS
flbufl

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks everyone for so many answers.
Now I don’t need to blame myself for being lazy.
I think I will get a good quality PZ3 and also a 3/8th flathead from the hardware store, reserved for bindings.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You will likely not find a Pozi screwdriver in a hardware store. Amazon is the quickest.
Bosch makes a good PZ 3 and I got mine at Lowe's but it was a special order of a 6 inch bit for my screw gun. It is the 1/4 inch quick change bit that also fits a handle of a manual screwdriver.
WP_20180809_10_33_23_Pro.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online