• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Two mountain bikers attacked by cougar

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Saw that. They even swung one of the bikes at it. I can see that for a cat, a bicycle is something to chase. But multiple people? I guess it just needed to bring down the slowest.

There was a woman attacked by a bear up by Libby recently. FWP working on a bear project. No more details yet.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They are reporting that it was a 100 lb cat.. That is not a real real large cat.

A young cat perhaps? Living in WA I am following this story as closely as possible.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
http://road.cc/content/news/242122-cougar-mauls-cyclist-death-northwestern-us
I saw this too. Fear of mountain lions is one reason I don't mountain bike alone. About 20 years ago a trail runner was killed by a mountain lion in the foothills near me (Auburn/Foresthill area). In this Washington case, it sounds like they noticed the cat coming after them. They stopped and made noise, etc., but the cat still attacked. The report in this story is that the man who was killed tried to outrun the cat.
In another California case, a man was attacked by a mountain lion while hiking with his wife. She successfully fought the cat off. https://www.mercurynews.com/2007/01/25/woman-fights-off-mountain-lion/
They are beautiful animals, but they are predators. I even worry about them on some road rides in remote canyons where I see lots of deer.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After being stalked by a pack of coyotes one morning mountain biking, I have an aluminum bar velcroed to the top tube. It wouldn't do much to a mountain lion but might help; I think you would want something with at least a 12" blade.

It was sort of interesting the way they hunt. At first a couple on the right side of the trail came out behind me and started yelping. I got off my bike, grabbed a stick, and started yelling and waving the stick around. Carrying the stick, I slowly walked my bike down the path. About three more coyotes then walked parralel to me behind some bushes, while the ones in the back followed me. Then about 4 came out in the path in front of me. I was definitely prey in an ambush at that point so I started yelling and waiving the stick like crazy while proceeding to continue slowly towards the 4 blocking the path. All but one big one ran away from me and the big guy evetually got out of my way once I got close to him.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
They are reporting that it was a 100 lb cat.. That is not a real real large cat.

A young cat perhaps? Living in WA I am following this story as closely as possible.

Seems bizarre in that the guys atatcked seemed to follow advice. I guess the animal wasn't up to speed on rules of engagement. Young cat that hadn't really learnt that humans weren't easy prey maybe or not discouraged by being hit with hard metal? I thought it was usually old sick animals that usually resorted to going for joggers etc.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw another article that said the guy started running away, so he didn't follow the most important rule. It also said that the cougar was emaciated so it was probably sick and hungry. Rule #1 is don't run from a sick hungry mountain lion, kick it in the head.

But, it's very sad that the man died. While I kept my cool in the coyote indicent I can't say I would do the same if confronted by a mountain lion.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
There's been a rash of shit all over social about this. People are getting really worked up over one cat attack, when there are so many objective hazards.

I'm no stranger to firearms, but the number of mtn bikers on various social outlets who carry is bazaar. Lots of younger people who are in training to be old paranoid white men.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There have been quite a bit of media reports about this incident locally. The animal was euthanized and sent to WSU yesterday for a necropsy to more accurately determine what else about the animal’s health, asides from being 50 lbs underweight, before it was euthanized.

While cougar/puma/mountain lions are in the area (after all, Cougar Mountain is adjacent to Issaquah) this kind of attack is rare; I think it’s the first fatal attack in the state in 100 years. Cougars are elusive and evasive and secretive. They don’t want to be seen, certainly not when hunting prey, and to try to take on not one but two humans, it must have been desperate.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So I've learnt something today by reading follow up reports - 1) don't assume an attack is over when you've fought off predator once successfully 2) stay together and stay braced for more attacks 3) do not run even when predator has jaws round head of your companion as it will trigger a "ball of string" reflex.

I wonder what the optimal defence tactic is if you're not packing - take wheels off so you can inflict more damage when swinging frame?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wonder what the optimal defence tactic is if you're not packing - take wheels off so you can inflict more damage when swinging frame?

Retreat to a safe distance and take a video. Duh.

"Wait Mr Lion, I gotta undo my clutch, hold on, just need a 5mm to get this axle out... OK, it's on! I'm gonna whack you with this wheel!". I'd say if your buddies head is in the cougars jaws you either run away (sorry buddy!) or you tackle that thing and punch the shit out of it.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Pic of my pet cougar and I. She's domesticated and doesn't hunt anymore - that I know of.

LB_MG_GD.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd say if your buddies head is in the cougars jaws you either run away (sorry buddy!) or you tackle that thing and punch the shit out of it.
Note. Don't run. It was the guy whose head was in the lion's jaws that lived. The guy that died was the one that took off running when that happened. Now, you want to let your buddy die? Then back away slowly. Don't attract its attention by running.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@martyg there is something right about your domesticated cougar, and something so wrong with that thing you're holding.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Around here, geoduck (pronounced goo-ee-duck) is the cheap stuff that gets cut up into clam chowder, rather than being a delicacy.

Hmmmm...there hasn’t been any thread drift, has there?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Delicacy or not, I will happily decline. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online