• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turning a piste ski into race ski?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Early rise on race skis doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I like it. It is all about rolling the ski up on edge and tip pressure progressively at the top of the turn. This business of delayed response makes no sense to me, although Scotskier may have a point, at his elite level of racing.

But for the rest of us mere mortal freeskiers...since the ski is pre-bent slightly into the beginning of turn shape, if you are rolling on edge properly at the top of the turn and not "JAMMING" on edge, the early rise portion contacts the snow immediately. Volkl had their 3D side cut concept years ago where the widest part of the ski was ahead of the contact point and when rolled on edge contacted the snow and pulled you into the turn. P30 RCR, comes to mind. My guess is many folks don't like it (Not Scotskier ) becuase they don't get enough tip pressure once the ski is rolled up on edge. Or another way to say it too much tip pressure before the ski is rolled up. It's all about bending the ski and early rise begins the process with less input since it is pre-bent. Remember the old saying Less=More! My .2 cents anyway.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I prefer my on-piste skis without early rise. I am a mere mortal skier. Maybe it's the way I learned to carve turns; I like getting constant feed-back from the tips without interruption. Skiing say a Fischer SC and a Rosi Hero back to back clearly demonstrates the difference to me. I have no problem skiing skis with early rise, or rocker, but the feeling is different, and requires what I call a leap of faith. I also prefer my on-piste skiing to be always locked in pure-carved arc-2-arc skiing as opposed to a blend of sideways sliding progressing to and from locked in. Different strokes for different folks.

Sponsor

Staff online