• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not that it can't be done, but it certainly can't be done comfortably. I did 100km/h (close to your 65mph) with some long(er) GS like turns with my SL skis (WC stock), so it's not that it can't be done. I would say I ski quite ok, and even for me, it's not really best feeling on world doing that. Skis are anything but stable at such speed and at such long turns (or straight line), especially when you are used to GS or SG skis. So personally I think, regardless of what marketing of certain company is trying to sell you, that for such skiing, there are better and more appropriate types of skis, then short SL or SL like skis.
OMG @Primoz you definitely ski way better than me, as upper limit is the mid 50’s on SL’s for me as you feel the rear edges start catching, I wouldn’t risk that little extra.

I agree with your assessment (and I know you are way more knowledgable about WC stock than I am). :thumb:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Not all skis like that , as Phil mention in post #12.
Try Fisher The Curv GT and you will see.
I am 6 feet , My Fisher The Curv GT skis are 168 with 14m radius , My average normal skiing day is speed is 50mph, this season I hit 65mph and did not have any problem handling it at all, not even one sec felt difference in balance. As we know this is triple radius ski so it really matter of construction of the ski.
I have learned not to post about some of the things I've done; I don't like being told I'm full of shit. However, in this case I will make an exception.
Been there. Done that. On my 13 m Fischer SCs. That "frequency tuning" really works.
Just because you can does not mean you should.
It may feel like you are carving good turns (unless you have a long radius speed ski to compare with), but in reality you are slipping big time. The angles required to maintain the forces at high speed (e.g 60 mph) would have your skis making much smaller turns. Of course they can't make those small turns; the forces that would be required are much too high (F=mv^2/R) for the skis to hook up and hold a clean carve. However, they could, given the right circumstances like a bump of semi-firm snow, have a tip dig in, try to make that tight turn for a moment, fold up and put you in a world of pain.
If you insist on skiing a mile a minute, do yourself a favour and get a pair of long straight speed skis.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
@Marin, what tool are you using to measure your speed?
APP called Ski Tracks ,and Ski Tracker , GPS signal speed.
I attach 2 screen shoots , Blue Screen soot is Ski Tracks, was this year , White is Ski Tracker , form that video 2 years ago (But battery was on safe mode so GPS signal was not 100% functions, it could be more that what was recorded)

Again to everyone, Try those skis and you will see what I am talking about .

Attachments

• Ski Tracks .jpg
    Ski Tracks .jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Ski Tracker  1.jpg
    Ski Tracker 1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
@François Pugh

Those skis are very different then Fischer SC. I probably will not be able to do this much with SC.
Have you try them ?
I am an engineer. I believe in physics. No, I have not tried those skis yet, but have skied skis of many designs and radii, from 11 m to over 70 m, including many different rocker and camber profiles and including triple radius skis. Trust me. It may feel good, but those skis are not the tool for skiing at 60+ mph. Spend enough time at those speeds on those skis and your luck will run out. Notice the front radius of that triple radius ski is short. Tip it enough and get sudden pressure on the tip due to a bump or rut and you will fall hard.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Rossi's are way different , plus they use Rocker at tip, Those Fishers are full camber .
And no they do not have early rise tip and tail, pure carving ski.
I have been skiing with them 2 seasons and know very well how they can handle. Like I said try them on and you will see what I am talking about.
They are really unique. I do not think anyone made something like Fischer did to those. It took almost 3 years to build this ski. It has triple Radius that you really can go form Shot, Medium and Long turns with out noticing any difference.

For speed , I always say ,Skis not skiing and controlling situation, it is person who skis on them.

This makes me sad because I received my new Fischer The Curv GT skis the day before everything was shut down in CO. They'll have to wait until next season (and even then they'll be waiting until we have enough snow to cover the rocks).

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am an engineer. I believe in physics. No, I have not tried those skis yet, but have skied skis of many designs and radii, from 11 m to over 70 m, including many different rocker and camber profiles and including triple radius skis. Trust me. It may feel good, but those skis are not the tool for skiing at 60+ mph. Spend enough time at those speeds on those skis and your luck will run out. Notice the front radius of that triple radius ski is short. Tip it enough and get sudden pressure on the tip due to a bump or rut and you will fall hard.
THIS!!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
APP called Ski Tracks ,and Ski Tracker , GPS signal speed.
I attach 2 screen shoots , Blue Screen soot is Ski Tracks, was this year , White is Ski Tracker , form that video 2 years ago (But battery was on safe mode so GPS signal was not 100% functions, it could be more that what was recorded)

Again to everyone, Try those skis and you will see what I am talking about .
Ski Tracker APP has gotten a lot better since its sampling rate improved, however, you defined your own problem, low on battery causes a reduced sample rate which can great inflate your speed momentary speeds as the averaging goes down (I’ve clocked 140mph on skis according to the APP, reality NOT). Looking at the track profile, this high speed seems to be the case.

@Primoz (who knows more about skis/ski industry than most) and @François Pugh, both of which are suggesting this is an injury in the making if it goes wrong.

Now onto triple radius, this is marketing hype pure and simple. Does the ski have progressive radius, yes, does it have 3 distinct radius’s, hell no, that could be very painful, imagine going from 24 to 17 to 14 at 60mph, we’d be picking up your garage sale for days (and be laughing even longer). While your ski has chamber it also has a slight rise which allows this progressive change in radius (along with an advance side cut profile to match the rise) it is so slight you won’t see it unless you put the skis base to base and press the flat, you’ll see the rise just barely. Fischer is not the only manufacture that does this, they just use different names for marketing magic. Go read boot stiffness threads for a different example.

Finally we are not saying its a bad ski. It is a good ski does everything you expect and more. However, you should not be lulled into a false sense of performance or the world of hurt can become your friend.

Last edited:

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
This makes me sad because I received my new Fischer The Curv GT skis the day before everything was shut down in CO. They'll have to wait until next season (and even then they'll be waiting until we have enough snow to cover the rocks).
You will see what I am talking about , I can not wait for your reply.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Again, when you try it , come back and tell me what you think. I never talk about something before I try it .
Like I said before , it took almost 3 years to build this ski before they put it on market, it is not one of those skis they produce it just like that .
This ski was built by 3 ex AUSTRIA WC Champions , with help of Fischer engineering. That why is really unique .
I have ski on other skis Sl, GS and not even felt close like on those , On other Sl skis never was comfortable at speed over 40-45mph.

But let's get clear here , I am not skiing all the time 60-65mph, that was my top seed at one day on Black run . My average speed is 40-45mph.
My point here is , they do not make any difference going 30mph or 60mph. Stability is really something unique on those skis.

Look this short video , I did not even know this was recorded, I am the guy in Orange , Those are my friends , they record them speed at that time about 45-47mph( at 30 sec on video, Go pro GPS speed ), JUST LOOK RIGHT SIDE of screen after they pass me at beginning of video .tell me did I even in one moment was of balance , I remember this and I was glued to snow with perfect stability, Of course right before SLOW sign I slow down and stop to see where my friends are:

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Look this short video , I did not even know this was recorded, I am the guy in Orange , Those are my friends , they record speed at that time about 45-47mph( at 30 sec on video, Go pro GPS speed ), JUST LOOK RIGHT SIDE of screen after they pass me at beginning of video .tell me did I even in one moment was of balance , I remember this and I was glued to snow with perfect stability, Of course right before SLOW sing I slow down and stop to see where my friends are:

Wow, just WOW. :ogcool:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Again, when you try it , come back and tell me what you think. I never talk about something before I try it .
Like I said before , it took almost 3 years to build this ski before they put it on market, it is not one of those skis they produce it just like that .
This ski was built by 3 ex AUSTRIA WC Champions , with help of Fischer engineering. That why is really unique .
I have ski on other skis Sl, GS and not even felt close like on those , On other Sl skis never was comfortable at speed over 40-45mph.

But let's get clear here , I am not skiing all the time 60-65mph, that was my top seed at one day on Black run . My average speed is 40-45mph.
My point here is , they do not make any difference going 30mph or 60mph. Stability is really something unique on those skis.

Look this short video , I did not even know this was recorded, I am the guy in Orange , Those are my friends , they record them speed at that time about 45-47mph( at 30 sec on video, Go pro GPS speed ), JUST LOOK RIGHT SIDE of screen after they pass me at beginning of video .tell me did I even in one moment was of balance , I remember this and I was glued to snow with perfect stability, Of course right before SLOW sign I slow down and stop to see where my friends are:

If I were you, I would keep it under 50 mph. Breaking my rule again, back in the day I had a Honda 750 Interceptor. It "felt" perfectly fine at 135 mph. I spent a lot of time red lining it in top gear on all sorts of roads. One day I forgot to slow down after I slowed down and got launched by the rear air shock going over an elevated bridge deck and landed on the front wheel with negative rake and trail. Appearently my skills were lacking. Suddenly 110 mph felt very fast. Sliding through potholes with only a leather jacket between you and pavement feels deadly at anything over 30 mph.
I don't need to try it. I believe you that it feels great. Fisher also makes great gs skis for skiing at 50 mph; they have a 35 m radius.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Marin, you are getting responses from seasoned expert skiers here. They have your best interests in mind when they describe how short radius skis at high speed can be dangerous. Assume they have been on many skis over the years and that they are capable of discerning those skis' strengths and weaknesses.

These guys shouldn't get frustrated with you if you don't sound like you are paying any attention to what they are telling you, but they might. We are all under stress right now.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There's no way in that video around the :30 mark that that guy in the grey is skiing 45 mph, he's not even carving, look at the beginner/intermediate that you guys pass, not going that much slower than them, I'd say your friends are skiing 30ish and you're skiing 45-50mph tops.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
If I were you, I would keep it under 50 mph.

From my #51 post :

"But let's get clear here , I am not skiing all the time 60-65mph, that was my top seed at one day on Black run . My average speed is 40-45mph.
My point here is , they do not make any difference going 30mph or 60mph. Stability is really something unique on those skis."

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
From my #51 post :

"But let's get clear here , I am not skiing all the time 60-65mph, that was my top seed at one day on Black run . My average speed is 40-45mph.
My point here is , they do not make any difference going 30mph or 60mph. Stability is really something unique on those skis."

Speed does not = expert skiing
Speed hides bad habits.
it's the last INCH that kills you..

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know I'm gonna regret posting this... Let's say I have been skiing for few days in my life, including between gates and including between gates training with some of current top 10 World cup GS, SG or DH skiers. I still help friend to test and ski in his racer's SG and DH skis to get them race ready, so yeah I'm well aware how it feels to be on skis at 120-130km/h. My favorite skis for free skiing are either GS or SG skis (all current WC stock skis). These skis are light years ahead of design, construction and materials of this so amazing Fischer Curve GT, especially when it comes to speed like 60mph, which if I calculated right is a bit short of 100km/h, yet I'm very very rarely around 100km/h mark.
So now few things... for real 130km/h (not something your phone measures, as based on phone several years ago, I have been already skiing a bit over 1000km/h) you need speed suit and proper downhill tuck, and also proper terrain, as on easy blue run, you can run it for 10km and still won't get anywhere close. No flapping ski jackets and ski pants, no SL skis, not even GS skis, but DH or at least SG skis, and you feel like shit at 130km/h on SG skis.
I'm sure your skis are awesome, but again, I have been skiing enough to know, how "great" even real race GS skis feel at 100+km/h. And with GS skis, I'm talking about, compared to your Curve GT, rock hard ski, with radius of 30m, and most importantly, made for speed and power. So let's be honest... either your phone is wrong, or you are one of those out of control guys who bomb straight down without much of control. Your video shows you are most likely both, as there let's face it, speed was nowhere near 80km/h and honestly, you were not really in much of control.