• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Wasatchman

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thanks all! After getting a chance to work through all this feedback on the mountain, I really think it is a matter of not being completely neutral with some angulation to work on as well.

Throw in my time tested habit of automatically going to the push off when terrain gets gnarly for me and I definitely have some work to do.

By using the crutch of the push off, how does that limit me? Is it less efficient energy use/aesthetics, or limits me in how I progress as a skier somehow?Perhaps I won't be able to progress to even steeper terrain, though I don't think I am one where I am ever going to be skiing true no fall terrain.

Don't get new wrong, I will try to improve this aspect, but just wondering how the push off limits me.

Thanks, feedback on this thread has been terrific for me. I feel optimistic I'm going to eventually get there, but it's going to take a lot of work. It's probably a combination of learning the patience on the steeps (waiting for that extra milisecond to get to true neutral) and technique.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s always amazing to me how many times in all levels of skiing and terrain, that this is great advice. As a learning skier it’s great reminder to me the similarities of technique required to ski at various skill levels.
I think though that the advice should be to shorten the downhill leg. This will cause the body to go down the hill

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks all! After getting a chance to work through all this feedback on the mountain, I really think it is a matter of not being completely neutral with some angulation to work on as well.

Throw in my time tested habit of automatically going to the push off when terrain gets gnarly for me and I definitely have some work to do.

By using the crutch of the push off, how does that limit me? Is it less efficient energy use/aesthetics, or limits me in how I progress as a skier somehow?Perhaps I won't be able to progress to even steeper terrain, though I don't think I am one where I am ever going to be skiing true no fall terrain.

Don't get new wrong, I will try to improve this aspect, but just wondering how the push off limits me.

Thanks, feedback on this thread has been terrific for me. I feel optimistic I'm going to eventually get there, but it's going to take a lot of work. It's probably a combination of learning the patience on the steeps (waiting for that extra milisecond to get to true neutral) and technique.
Allo sorts of things wrong with pushing off.
Disturbing balance is one of them. Hard to attain high edge angles is another. Which is why you don't see racers do it.

But when it's really steep and icy, it's useful so you can pivot immediately to control speed.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Wasatchman , when you begin taking these ideas to the snow, try them on pitches with no consequence for a fall. Short pitches or the bottom of pitches, so that if you commit but don't pull off the turn, you don't have to concern yourself for what is below.

Good luck.

Sponsor

Staff online