• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuning table?

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Do you mean moving to travel often, or moving to a new location occasionally?

I'll need to move it from basement to garage as needed.

I'm thinking one of those plastic tables that are like 48 inches long then getting a piece of plywood to bolt on top.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can always get one of those Holmenkol tables. ROCK solid and can be moved....heavy at about 40lbs.
Pricey however.

the cheaper DIY version is a stable saw horse (dewalt makes some super stable and relatively light ones for their mitre saws) and bolt a nice thick piece of board on top. Plywood/melamine/Lexan/etc.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok.. found this at home depot. I don' think I'd want to move it, but it seem small enough to move, as needed. One thing I don' t like is the particle board top. But I guess that's why it's cheap.

Particle board makes a good workbench top because it absorbs vibration...it doesn't bounce back when you hammer on something. Top the particle board with 1/4" tempered hardboard (Masonite). Or just soak the particle board with an oil finish or varnish thinned with thinner...anything that will soak in and harden. The other good workbench top is vertical grain lumber...rip 2x4s in half and glue them together for vertical grain, then plane & sand flat & smooth.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use this, with a 1 x 6 bolted to the top to attach my vises to. A little heavy too travel with but very solid to work on, and I can fold it up and put it away when I don't need it. The height adjustment is great too. $40 at Lowes
1583236295216.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get a folding table that you can use for cookouts too. An 8x2 wooden folding banquet table with steel legs would do the trick.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you have a miter saw table? Mine is very solid and portable, if a little heavy to carry out of a basement with any regularity. Mine stays in one spot the entire winter. Particle board shelf from an old remodeling project provides the working surface. I had to flip the stops around to lock the shelf in place and glued some woodstock together to brace the center. I keep the tools in a plastic set of drawers on wheels.

IMG_20160601_203606283.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get a folding table that you can use for cookouts too. An 8x2 wooden folding banquet table with steel legs would do the trick.
These folding type tables can be found at times on Craigs list or companies dumping them ... used office supply stores too. or just the legs .. or find cheap adj height table and tear it down to build your own.

Wife bought a short 4 footer, but 30 inches for $5, daughter then wanted a 6 footer. I should of picked up an extra just for the legs.

I like the miter saw table idea, for greater stability just hang some weight near legs bottom. Did this for a cheap router table I had that was top heavy. The Miter tables go on sale regularly and may have a handle with which to carry and/or wheels on one side.

I should consider my miter table, buy a set of extra mounting brackets so I can swap out my saw for a ski tune top .. ??

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These folding type tables can be found at times on Craigs list or companies dumping them ... used office supply stores too. or just the legs .. or find cheap adj height table and tear it down to build your own.

Wife bought a short 4 footer, but 30 inches for $5, daughter then wanted a 6 footer. I should of picked up an extra just for the legs.

I like the miter saw table idea, for greater stability just hang some weight near legs bottom. Did this for a cheap router table I had that was top heavy. The Miter tables go on sale regularly and may have a handle with which to carry and/or wheels on one side.

I should consider my miter table, buy a set of extra mounting brackets so I can swap out my saw for a ski tune top .. ??
This is what I used for the past year or so and it worked OK. The big issue with mine was I kept tripping over the legs.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was going to recommend using a stablemate sawhorse but A google search revealed they’ve gotten quite expensive(($90 each)
For that price I’d go with the DEWALT saw stand that @KingGrump posted. They’re very stable, relatively light and durable enough for extended job site abuse. Pretty much anything stable enough for edge work will have legs you might trip on, imo. I really just started tuning my skis but I’ve just been using an old door slab on a pair of horses.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I am using this at home. Very spacious and sturdy.
I have no complaints so far.
If you are not specifically looking for travel bench, then this would serve you well.
There are cheaper plastic versions from walmart that would work great as well.

I might have something like this in my shed. When I get a chance, I'm going to have to go take a look and see if it would work for my.. The one I have is plastic and it folds in half.

Thanks!

I think that's your best bet. You want something solid. You could even drill two holes near the edge and bolt a L bracket to the table and a stud. You can see the bracket on the right side of my table. This table is solid.

Attachments

• DSCN6370.JPG
    DSCN6370.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 96

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll need to move it from basement to garage as needed.

I'm thinking one of those plastic tables that are like 48 inches long then getting a piece of plywood to bolt on top.
That is what I do. I have a plastic table we use for a number of things. Here is the "BOX" I built using scrap. It catches most of the wax and I keep the tools in it as well. When all done for the season, I walk it up the stairs, stop at the trash can, dump and throw it in the rafters in the garage.

Attachments

• bench 2.jpg
    bench 2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 76
  • Bench 1.jpg
    Bench 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 72

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
I use this, with a 1 x 6 bolted to the top to attach my vises to. A little heavy too travel with but very solid to work on, and I can fold it up and put it away when I don't need it. The height adjustment is great too. $40 at Lowes
View attachment 95698

This looks amazing. Great reviews @ lowes.com.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI for those looking for a wall drop type table ... Home Depot has some other deals on full table but one this surprisingly holds 500lbs ... so given price, perhaps useful