• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dates?

• April 21st-22nd

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • April 28th-29th

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hiking only

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Skiing!

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This morning's report from across the street (Wildcat):

"...looks like while we were closed, we gained some snow but also freezing rain. Groomers are reporting firm surfaces up there, but they're definitely doing their best to break it up for us. I'm going to recommend that we stick to the corduroy today.... The groomers did their thing on 19 trails last night. It seems Mother Nature likes to test their skills, but they're always ready to face a challenge."

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Wildcat has been getting rain and snow on and off day after day. They have been closed for a few days given Mother Nature's mood.

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org
The report on today's avalanche danger in Tuckerman Ravine (moderate danger) gives an idea of what the weather has been and the state of the snow situation up there:

"First, sluffing action of ice pellets yesterday proved to create unstable and reactive, though isolated, slabs low in avalanche paths. These and similarly new slabs formed from the mix of sleet (ice pellets), snow, freezing rain, and rain may present pockets of instability in much of the terrain, though wetting from rain overnight has likely reduced sensitivity to a human trigger. Second, deeper slabs which have become increasingly wet could produce large avalanches, also possible to human trigger and unlikely to avalanche naturally, though we’re not ruling out this possibility entirely. Finally, snow falling today and tonight on increasing W wind may build to form new wind slabs by the time this advisory expires at midnight tonight."

Thanks for posting the avalanche forecast warning. A somber reminder that Tuckerman's should be given some respect.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We packed away the ski gear and took out the golf gear - perhaps a bit prematurely :huh:.

Will look to try Tuckerman next season :thumb:.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reminds me of the usual tuckerman conversation after a few drinks.....

"want to go to tuckerman on Saturday?", um it might be cold and anyways my kid has baseball.

"What about Tuesday?", ahh that might work I'll have to reschedule a conference call and check with my wife to see if she can work from home and get the kids to school.

"ok, memorial day?", possibly, we'll be camping in franconia so we could do that, I'll have to see if my sister can give my kids a ride home otherwise we'll have to take two cars, or I could have them drop me in North Conway buth then they'll hit traffice on the way home. Maybe we should just plan on hiking osceola, I've wanted to check out the chimney.

"July 4th weekend?", sounds good, but if it's hot out I think we're staying with friends in eastham.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Just a note to all:

I won't be able to join this group --- if the trip is soon. That's even if the weather is good and the snow quality and avi danger are low.
My knee, my knee, my left knee......... it has become apparent that it just won't heal itself at that rate.

I tripped and fell straight downward onto that knee, with my whole body weight, on the kitchen floor (ceramic tile).
Since that event there's been an issue when I'm climbing up stairs. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, but no worse either.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least you have a real reason not to go. Hope it gets better quickly, at least it happened in April.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just a note to all:

I won't be able to join this group --- if the trip is soon. That's even if the weather is good and the snow quality and avi danger are low.
My knee, my knee, my left knee......... it has become apparent that it just won't heal itself at that rate.

I tripped and fell straight downward onto that knee, with my whole body weight, on the kitchen floor (ceramic tile).
Since that event there's been an issue when I'm climbing up stairs. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, but no worse either.
Ooooh Nooooooooo!

Who the frig invented knees - we need a recal!

Now that you got me started, ceramic tile kitchen floors look good but are too d@rn hard! Wood is a little better only in a kitchen it's a maintenance headache ... half of the why I've been so absent-minded about replacing the dated linoleum in my kitchen, such an eyesore too:\

I hope it's just a flesh wound and heals well. You know what they say, all in due time. Before you know it those feet of yours will be liquid again:)

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Maybe we should just plan on hiking osceola, I've wanted to check out the chimney.

Going up the chimney isn’t that bad... there’s a lot of foot and hand holds. Going down it...? :eek: There’s a little side path around the chimney for going down, although descending the side path will test the gripping power of your shoes as well.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Quite comfortable on skis. Thanks for asking.
Climbing stairs is a slow process interrupted by little stabs of ouch.
I've done this before. It will probably heal itself, but who knows how long....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quite comfortable on skis. Thanks for asking.
Climbing stairs is a slow process interrupted by little stabs of ouch.
I've done this before. It will probably heal itself, but who knows how long....

Sorry to hear this. Injured knees are not fun.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To attract those who have always wanted to see what Tuckerman is all about but aren't sure they have the skills (or the legs) to try to actually ski it. I had an awesome day up there a few years ago where I didn't even bring ski gear along; just hiked in and sledded out down the Sherbie.

That’s what I would do. Actually, I love hiking uphill. I’ve got a good pair of snowshoes with crampons. I just need a sled....ogwink

My husband and I hiked Mt Washington a few years ago. An awesome, technical hike. A bit disappointing to summit, and be met with a parking lot and tourists who drove up to pose and take pics at the summit sign that we hiked up to reach. But, friends met us up there and drove us down the auto road, so I didn’t have to have my knees suffer walking all the way back down.

James

Out There
Instructor
The cog path still has snowmaking pipes. It was a ski trail for several years in the 2000's I think. Forget. Posted it years ago.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going up the chimney isn’t that bad... there’s a lot of foot and hand holds. Going down it...? :eek: There’s a little side path around the chimney for going down, although descending the side path will test the gripping power of your shoes as well.

We're planning to hike from the Waterville side up Osceola, over to the chimney, and come back down the same way. The logistics of dropping a car off in Lincoln don't seem worth the effort although it would make a more interesting hike. My daughter was ok hiking Tecumseh last year when she was 8 so I think she'll be ok on this hike, otherwise I'll have some carrying to do which makes for good exercise.

I did want to get my boy up to the lunch rocks and ski down sherbie, but that part is probably rocks and rivers by now. He'll be 12 next year and might have a man hair or two so should be ready for the real deal.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online