• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dates?

• April 21st-22nd

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • April 28th-29th

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hiking only

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Skiing!

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow the conditions in that headwall video look absolutely horrid, like foot deep refrozen ruts vertically down the face making it extremely difficult to turn and traverse.

How much to chip in and rent a helicopter to drop us off at the summit? :D

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Wow the conditions in that headwall video look absolutely horrid, like foot deep refrozen ruts vertically down the face making it extremely difficult to turn and traverse

Who was the guy who (in)famously straight-lined the headwall back in the 30’s? Now we know why he didn’t bother turning. :eek:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That would be Toni Matt.

http://newenglandskimuseum.org/remembering-toni-matt-and-the-1939-inferno/

I am thinking about heading up weekend of May 5-6. Have gigs I have to make every Saturday night until then.

Last time I skied Tuck's was 1985 and I would love to go again. First day we were there is was frozen and snowing and blowing. No one was climbing up the headwall and everything was frozen solid. Next day we went back. 50 degrees, sunny, perfect corn!

James

Out There
Instructor
Who was the guy who (in)famously straight-lined the headwall back in the 30’s? Now we know why he didn’t bother turning. :eek:
Toni Matt,1939. In the Inferno race.
There was huge snow cover that April 16th.

Matt 50 years latertalking about the run:

"'So I schussed on top of the Lip, went over it, and by that time, you’re doing maybe 80 miles an hour and there’s no sense in turning, especially if you can’t turn well. So you say, well, you might as well go straight, you know, and hope for the best. So went straight and hoped for the best.'

'So I went down the Sherburne Trail and I remember there was some S turns down there. Of course, by that time you’re about three and a half miles, you know, and even at 19 you got kind of tired, and there was one turn, the last one of those S turns and you pushed your way out, and I saw this tree coming up and, man, I just made it. I’ve still got bark in my parka.'"

http://newenglandskimuseum.org/remembering-toni-matt-and-the-1939-inferno/

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How much to chip in and rent a helicopter to drop us off at the summit? :D
There's skiing to be done near the summit once the auto road opens actually...skied last June thanks to that.

For those of you who only climb up halfway, how do you transition into your skiing gear? That's what I did both times last season, and in some ways not having a flat spot to prepare things was more terrifying than the skiing itself. Dug some snow to help, but a 1 to 2 feet wide section isn't great for clicking in.

Last edited:
TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
There's skiing to be done near the summit once the auto road opens actually...skied last June thanks to that.

For those of you who only climb up halfway, how do you transition into your skiing gear? That's what I did both times last season, and in some ways not having a flat spot to prepare things was more terrifying than the skiing itself. Dug some snow to help, but a 1 to 2 feet wide section isn't great for clicking in.

Ha! I can relate. The one time I skied (well, I had skis on and I didn't die... whether my flailing constituted actual "skiing" can be debated) the ravine I had the same problem. I thought the scariest parts were hiking up the ravine in ski boots and then trying to get skis on on a really steep slope. After that, the "skiing down" part should have been easy, but my knees were shaking so much from just getting there that it was more flailing. :rolleyes:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I think climbing partway and transitioning is well-intentioned advice (and people have told me this, too), but it is way, way easier to get to the top, have a snack (take a nap), and transition for the ski down on a level surface than on any of the ski lines. Be mindful of the lowering sun and that effect on snow conditions. The risk of clicking in on the slope is that you could become an obstacle for someone above you and if you lose gear or slide on that pitch, it really sucks. Also, you really can't comfortably rest and refuel.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Oh, I love that place!

I would strongly recommend finding the lightest gear that is reasonable. I schlepped a pair of Nordica Victory up to top of Left Gully years ago and had to take like a half hour nap before skiing down.
Yes within reason. A big mistake ,my friend did this, is to carry up light skis that were no good. The runs are quite steep so you need equipment you trust. Best to strap the skis/ ski boots to an old fashoned pack frame. Pack can even be removed if you wish.

Still have the pack setup but haven't done this in 20 years. I went to Tuck's 6 of 8 years on Memorial day but quit as it always seemed to rain.
Several days earlier or later always looked great but we were both working and he had no flexibility.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If you scared of tuckerman's there is other, less steep, less crowded skiing on washington, it just not called Tuckerman's. Gulf of Slides normally has a way better surface, hillmen's to the looker left of the main ravine is longer and less crowded.

the issue with trying to pick a date is the llkely hood of good and safe skiing and hiking. even on nice days on washington I still take crampons and an ax with me because I would rather be overly prepared than die.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
My Dad went every year back in the 40's pre WW2 and after he came back

Here's a cool old photo of him on his Planks pretty sure they were his 10th Mt Skis & bamboo poles.

Have fun, be safe!
dad at tuckermans - Copy.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you scared of tuckerman's there is other, less steep, less crowded skiing on washington, it just not called Tuckerman's. Gulf of Slides normally has a way better surface, hillmen's to the looker left of the main ravine is longer and less crowded.

the issue with trying to pick a date is the llkely hood of good and safe skiing and hiking. even on nice days on washington I still take crampons and an ax with me because I would rather be overly prepared than die.
Crampons:eek:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
on a icey day yes......

I have luckly never had to use them with while there with my wife, but I have had to use them to climb a slope back to my car on day where these was corning skiing but ton of icey slopes and the wrong aspects.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
So it's still early in the week, but this week's weather forecast for Mt. Washington looks atrocious -- cold with varying forms of precipitation.

Sooner or later there has to be a spring-like day in the mountains... :(

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Looks like a lot of fun even if you don't ski it.

Reminds me of sitting in the parking lot, dead tired after a 6 hour surf session on a stellar day watching the late afternoon shift giving it their best. Lot's of heckling and abuse mixed with genuine admiration when someone makes an impossible section.

Good times...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Wildcat has been getting rain and snow on and off day after day. They have been closed for a few days given Mother Nature's mood.

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org
The report on today's avalanche danger in Tuckerman Ravine (moderate danger) gives an idea of what the weather has been and the state of the snow situation up there:

"First, sluffing action of ice pellets yesterday proved to create unstable and reactive, though isolated, slabs low in avalanche paths. These and similarly new slabs formed from the mix of sleet (ice pellets), snow, freezing rain, and rain may present pockets of instability in much of the terrain, though wetting from rain overnight has likely reduced sensitivity to a human trigger. Second, deeper slabs which have become increasingly wet could produce large avalanches, also possible to human trigger and unlikely to avalanche naturally, though we’re not ruling out this possibility entirely. Finally, snow falling today and tonight on increasing W wind may build to form new wind slabs by the time this advisory expires at midnight tonight."

James

Out There
Instructor
Wildcat has been getting rain and snow on and off day after day. They have been closed for a few days given Mother Nature's mood.

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org
The report on today's avalanche danger in Tuckerman Ravine (moderate danger) gives an idea of what the weather has been and the state of the snow situation up there:

"First, sluffing action of ice pellets yesterday proved to create unstable and reactive, though isolated, slabs low in avalanche paths. These and similarly new slabs formed from the mix of sleet (ice pellets), snow, freezing rain, and rain may present pockets of instability in much of the terrain, though wetting from rain overnight has likely reduced sensitivity to a human trigger. Second, deeper slabs which have become increasingly wet could produce large avalanches, also possible to human trigger and unlikely to avalanche naturally, though we’re not ruling out this possibility entirely. Finally, snow falling today and tonight on increasing W wind may build to form new wind slabs by the time this advisory expires at midnight tonight."
Basically, for the week, yikes!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The rain and sleet of yesterday should put all "Tucks" visitors on high alert.