• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dates?

• April 21st-22nd

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • April 28th-29th

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hiking only

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Skiing!

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@MattSmith posted here some info here about Tuckerman Ravine.

Question: who would be interested in a Tuckerman Day? Open to all... Hiking up to the base of the ravine ("lunch rocks") and soaking in the spectacle can be a very fun day if you don't feel like lugging ski gear all the way in.

@Tricia can you move the relevant posts from Matt's original thread to here?

James

Out There
Instructor
Why is "hiking only" an option??

Though... oy vey! The last time I was there I think I spent 6-8 hrs hiking with skis, camped, and never got to ski. A long story.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Why is "hiking only" an option??

Though... oy vey! The last time I was there I think I spent 6-8 hrs hiking with skis, camped, and never got to ski. A long story.

To attract those who have always wanted to see what Tuckerman is all about but aren't sure they have the skills (or the legs) to try to actually ski it. I had an awesome day up there a few years ago where I didn't even bring ski gear along; just hiked in and sledded out down the Sherbie.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Flawed poll. Needs this one too. "I'm gonna be another year older before I do.."

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
To attract those who have always wanted to see what Tuckerman is all about but aren't sure they have the skills (or the legs) to try to actually ski it. I had an awesome day up there a few years ago where I didn't even bring ski gear along; just hiked in and sledded out down the Sherbie.

I’d be interested in hiking only, unless Matt thinks he knows a route I can ski down...
Now, if anyone coming from the nyc metro area wants to give me a lift, I’m all in!

How long is the hike up? I’m very very slow...

James

Out There
Instructor
You brought a sled?

I see. One can always hike up only part of the bowl and ski down too. The bowl gets very steep as you get higher. Plenty of kids and dogs sledding though lower down.
If the weather is nice it's a great place to hang out. If not, well it's best to ski something.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I’d be interested in hiking only, unless Matt thinks he knows a route I can ski down...
Now, if anyone coming from the nyc metro area wants to give me a lift, I’m all in!

It's about two miles to HoJo's (the shelter at the base of the ravine). Getting to HoJo's is pretty easy (i.e., there are no steep parts). You're basically walking on a dirt road (that's hopefully still buried in snow).

HoJo's to Lunch Rocks (the base of the ravine wall) is another half mile... that part is steeper and narrower.

In terms of time... I've usually guess-timated 2.5, 3.0 hours from the road to Lunch Rocks.

I've done it in regular hiking boots, but if you have microspikes (or some other traction device for your shoes) life will be a lot easier.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be hesitant to commit to it. This would only be my second season doing it, but I refuse to ski it on weekends. Way too crowded, chances of someone sliding and running into you are too high. The weather has to be perfect too. I live only 30 minutes away, so I have the option to take a day off work and just go. I do agree that hiking up and watching can be a good time though.

Working from memory here, but something like 3 miles one way and 2500 feet in elevation just to the bottom of the bowl.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I, I mean my wife, would be interested.

And, no way "The Real LKLA" is interested :nono:

Last edited:

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier

group interest

I am watching both of those dates. You hit it the challenge there Kevin. Gotta have a flexible schedule. I'll post mid-week updates to this thread starting next week.

I'll suggest we set a time (9 am) to meet at the trail head. If you are there, we'll go up together.

The bowl is serious double black terrain. You need to be realistic about your abilities before climbing up the Headwall. I learned my lesson last year after taking a snowboarding pal up. He slipped up top and went over the cliff band. After a 25 ft drop he was a bit shaken, but unscathed. ...and a learning opportunity for us both.

There are options for less extreme terrain in the Right Gully if you want to get a feel and conditions permit. The hike up and hanging out on Lunch Rocks is a fun time. I'm always looking for volunteers to hang with my dog while I climb the bowl. She's a "ski dog", but I'm not dumb enough to take her up there.

I'm not a hiker by nature, but I'll suggest the hike is "Moderate" depending on how much gear is on your back. It's 2.4 miles to the Hermit Lake Shelter (aka HoJo's). 90-120 minutes depending upon your pace (and how often your dog wants to chase things off the trail). It's not technical at all. It's a jeep trail that's typically snow covered. The final section from HoJo's to Lunch Rocks is about 30 minutes and can be sketchy. As is typically the case, going up is easier than coming down. Conditions permitting, the Sherburne trail is a good way to by-pass the walk back down. While narrow, bumpy and rock strewn, it's not steep.

A good reference: http://timefortuckerman.com/tuckermanravinemap.html

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
There's a dash between dates. Does this hike and maybe ski have to include an overnight? Overnight on the mountain?

This is best on a bluebird day. I love the crowds; they make it less intense, and add joy for those hiking and sight-seeing instead of skiing once up there. I've seen people in clown suits up there, beer coolers and lawn chairs. Someone does have to sherpa those things uphill, though. I've also seen a helicopter take someone out who needed it. If the Sherburne trail is skiable, the descent on skis is delightful. You do need to be able to do gentle bumps to ski down the Sherburne.

Wear microspikes on your boots, or you'll slip and slide your way up for hours. Don't do that to yourself. Yaktracks are OK. Microspikes would be better. Skinning up this the best; I am jealous of those people as they pass everyone else who is simply walking up.

Skis, boots, poles, water, layers on your backpack can add up. Think: climbing with 35-45 lbs on your back for 2+ hours. Heavy skis and bindings add a lot of that weight. If you have light weight gear, bring it instead. Water refills can be had at Hojo's. Bring a camera. Cell coverage may be nill.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
There's a dash between dates. Does this hike and maybe ski have to include an overnight? Overnight on the mountain?

This is best on a bluebird day. I love the crowds; they make it less intense, and add joy for those hiking and sight-seeing instead of skiing once up there. I've seen people in clown suits up there, beer coolers and lawn chairs. Someone does have to sherpa those things uphill, though. I've also seen a helicopter take someone out who needed it. If the Sherburne trail is skiable, the descent on skis is delightful. You do need to be able to do gentle bumps to ski down the Sherburne.

I put the dash between the dates to basically mean "go on the nicer day". It's a long haul for many people; if you want to make a weekend trip out of it (ski Wildcat? Hang in North Conway?) go for it. I agree with your assessment that heading up there on a non-bluebird day is insane. I certainly don't have the legs to hike up there twice in two days though.

I also agree that the crowds make it more fun.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
For those who have never done it, I'm embedding some videos.
This short one shows the hike up and HoJo's cabin, plus some folks skiing the lip.

This one shows people going up and skiing down Hillman's Highway first (I think), then the Ravine.
There's a little extra entertainment towards the end with the helicopter.

Here's one that just focuses on skiers jumping the headwall. Keep the sound on for this one.

This video shows random stuff. It includes people skiing down the little headwall with its bumps,
which is how you start your descent if you're going to ski the Sherburne. All this gives an idea of
what it's like to go up there in spring, and why so many people do it.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I love that place!

I would strongly recommend finding the lightest gear that is reasonable. I schlepped a pair of Nordica Victory up to top of Left Gully years ago and had to take like a half hour nap before skiing down.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll throw this one into this thread as a good resource...Mount Washington Avalanche Center. Make sure you know the risks before heading into the bowl, talk to the patrollers up there regardless of how experienced you are and remember “Low Risk” does not mean “No Risk”.

Put me down as a maybe for either weekend. Just need to wait and hope Mother Nature blesses us with good weather.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Put me down as a maybe for all the dates.

If I go, I'll bring up the rear, as I'll be going S.L.O.W. You yung'uns go ahead, don't mind me.
I've been up there three times with skis, but have not yet skied the Ravine from the top.
I may not have the stamina to climb that high but my head's saying give it a try.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid