• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuck turn vs Turn while tucking.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't I heard World Cup commentators (ex-WC racers) say "never give up a turn for a tuck"? Or was it the other way around? As for the picture on the cover of the Witherell book that was taken a long time ago, and the Mad River Glen bib indicates it probably wasn't a WC race, maybe not even close to that level. Better skiing than I was doing at that time
She’s rippin both edges!
I have photo credit to Malcom Reiss.

Yep. [B]@Doug Briggs[/B] ?
I concur. You don't want to sacrifice turn quality for aerodynamics.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Apropos of very little but a reminiscence of my hometown, I ran across this link looking up Eric. The first photo in the slider is Eric, Toni Matt and Tyler Palmer.

James

Out There
Instructor
Apropos of very little but a reminiscence of my hometown, I ran across this link looking up Eric. The first photo in the slider is Eric, Toni Matt and Tyler Palmer.

You ever do the Tuckerman’s Ravine GS?
Did they start below the lip?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You ever do the Tuckerman’s Ravine GS?
Did they start below the lip?
No. I have never raced on Mt Washington. I'd like to at some point, just because.

I have raced on the CCC Wildcat trail across the road.

TS
Speeder

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
The second bolded statement is true because turn shape is more determined by edge angles than by increasing counter in speed. Counter is used to get more edge angle however the longer you can stay aero AND maintain adequate edge angles for the turn you need to make, the faster you are likely to be.

If you need more edge angle than you can get from inclination alone then you are must add counter and that usually will cause you to become less aero. There is always a trade off between aero and turn quality. The winners know what trade offs have the best return.

Many, if not most, beginning speed racers counter too much. It's a habit learned in tech events where it is often pronounced and essential to good angles.
Thanks much!

Sponsor

Staff online