Tuck position/silly human trick

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Pequenita, Feb 2, 2019.

1. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

That looks like a hybrid tuck. It's a combo of the toilet bowl and the porcupine tucks.

2. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

That guy is in the midst of trolling for alien with his new and improved antenna configuration. Part of the SETI program.

Josh Matta likes this.
  3. headybrew

headybrew surrender to the flow Skier

I find it way easier to put my hands and poles behind me when in a tucked position, it burns like hell but I can stay tucked the full length of Corona way at WP from Pano lift to Challenger lift. Feels so good to stand up at the end.

4. LouD-Truckee

LouD-Truckee Getting off the lift Skier

Sputnik.....

5. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    If it's not too bumpy and your boots have enough forward lean, you can rest your chest on your knees; if it is too bumpy you can get kneed in the chest.

6. mister moose

mister moose Instigator Skier

Killington has a few upwind schleps, the most common being Bittersweet run out under the quad around the lodge to K1. Worse yet is Highlander. With the prevailing westerlies blowing mid 20's and more, being in a tuck will let you just move forward at 12 mph, vs a standstill. On days like this, there's immediate feedback on drag reduction. The difference between torso upright and torso level(ish) is the biggest, hand position feels minor but noticeable. What's really noticeable on hand position is heat loss, at below zero wind chill, hands in back is way warmer.

For me, the neck stretch to see ahead is the hardest part.

Pequenita likes this.
  7. mdf

mdf entering the Big Couloir Skier

The thing is, even a very bad tuck helps some. It is about all I can manage, and I can feel the differnce in resistance on a flat run out and see the difference compared to the other people on the runout.

8. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

We can try the various configuration on the return trail next couple of days.

9. geepers

geepers Getting off the lift Skier

The longest, shallowest, most grueling run-out I know is the Vallee Blanche at Chamonix. Miles and miles of a slope so gradual that if you are not tucked or not sitting on the back of the skis or skating or poling then you will stop. The scenery on the top part of the run is spectacular. Skiing through the crevasse was (n our case) truly exhilarating. The trail back to town is a PITA.

10. Crank

Crank Out on the slopes Skier

I think he may have been having some fun with you?

Back in the day, Jay Peak used to hold the George Syrovatka Citizen's Downhill Race every year. We were often skiing there a week or so beforehand and I remember lots of tucking going on as folks were practicing. The last reference I can find for it is 2011.

11. Mothertucker

Mothertucker Sweep Dodger Skier

"Everybody's Tucking But Me"- Eartha Kitt

12. Don in Morrison

Don in Morrison I Ski Better on Retro Day Skier

Ah, the infamous "Texas Tuck".

13. hbear

hbear Out on the slopes Skier

It's actually a rounded "cat back" that is preferable in the tuck.
    Hips level or above shoulders and forward pressure on the shins.....hips should be over the boots and not back.

Pequenita likes this.
  14. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Out on the slopes Instructor

beginner-tuck.JPG
    Where do people get the idea that this is the way to do a tuck?
    Is there a legitimate story that explains this thing that so many people do?

15. James

How is that possible if one is low?
    IMG_5822.PNG
    AL Svindal, Are 2006

IMG_5823.PNG
    Photos by Ron Lemaster

16. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I think we should all post pics of our best tuck :D
    When in doubt, tuck it out @Tim Flanagan

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.45.05 PM.png

17. hbear

hbear Out on the slopes Skier

While it's easy to fall back when "getting low" the objective is still hips over boots. Has to do with shin pressure, trying to keep a longer/higher femur which allows one to better flex the ankle. Not only helps turning but also pressure on the ski (as the ski will wobble under speed when the pressure is not there).

Shoulders should be below hips...airflow overback provides downward pressure.

For the extreme, check out the speed skiers....not downhill....actual speed skiers. Body morphology can make it difficult but your greatest weight is in the hips/glutes....to get CM forward, that body mass needs to move forward as well.

Here's one of our Canadians (Manny) in the tunnel....note hips vs. referencing the back of the glutes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  18. James

IMG_5824.jpg
    Still not seeing it. His boots would need like 30 deg of forward lean to get his hips over his heels. Depends a lot on tibia and femur lengths.

Here's the speed skier. Maybe he achieves hips over heels with 29deg of forward lean. Though I'm not sure how it's measured.

IMG_5825.jpg
    https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/the-aerodynamics-of-speed-skiing

19. Thread Starter
    TS
    Pequenita

Pequenita Out on the slopes Skier

If someone’s never raced before, it’s pretty easy to think that a tuck consists mostly of bringing the torso towards the knees and curling the arms so that the poles point behind. I don’t think most recreational skiers really pay that close attention to a racer’s tuck position, and this *feels* close enough.

20. James

Yep. You can demo it in front of them and they'll still do the porcupine position by default.