• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuck position/silly human trick

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I find it way easier to put my hands and poles behind me when in a tucked position, it burns like hell but I can stay tucked the full length of Corona way at WP from Pano lift to Challenger lift. Feels so good to stand up at the end.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I find it way easier to put my hands and poles behind me when in a tucked position, it burns like hell but I can stay tucked the full length of Corona way at WP from Pano lift to Challenger lift. Feels so good to stand up at the end.
If it's not too bumpy and your boots have enough forward lean, you can rest your chest on your knees; if it is too bumpy you can get kneed in the chest.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Killington has a few upwind schleps, the most common being Bittersweet run out under the quad around the lodge to K1. Worse yet is Highlander. With the prevailing westerlies blowing mid 20's and more, being in a tuck will let you just move forward at 12 mph, vs a standstill. On days like this, there's immediate feedback on drag reduction. The difference between torso upright and torso level(ish) is the biggest, hand position feels minor but noticeable. What's really noticeable on hand position is heat loss, at below zero wind chill, hands in back is way warmer.

For me, the neck stretch to see ahead is the hardest part.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's what I think a tuck looks like, based on the number of people I see "tucking" ....

View attachment 64693

The thing is, even a very bad tuck helps some. It is about all I can manage, and I can feel the differnce in resistance on a flat run out and see the difference compared to the other people on the runout.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing is, even a very bad tuck helps some. It is about all I can manage, and I can feel the differnce in resistance on a flat run out and see the difference compared to the other people on the runout.

We can try the various configuration on the return trail next couple of days.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The longest, shallowest, most grueling run-out I know is the Vallee Blanche at Chamonix. Miles and miles of a slope so gradual that if you are not tucked or not sitting on the back of the skis or skating or poling then you will stop. The scenery on the top part of the run is spectacular. Skiing through the crevasse was (n our case) truly exhilarating. The trail back to town is a PITA.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago skiing at Jay Peak, I learned about something called "the gentleman's tuck".

Apparently tucking wasn't (and still isn't) allowed at Jay Peak, but I didn't know that, so I was skiing down a black run in a tuck making the cleanest DH turns I could (when the trail forced me to turn), when I noticed ski patrol at the side of the run ahead, waving his arms and yelling like crazy. Thinking maybe someone was wrapped around a tree and his radio was dead, of course I slammed on the brakes and came to a stop beside him to see how I could help. Nobody was injured; he was just manning the speed trap. He was of the opinion I was "skiing out of control". When I pointed out to him that I was able to stop right beside him, he conceded the point, but noted that it was really hard to tell who is in control when all they see is someone straight-lining a steep black in a tuck. Therefore skiing in a tuck was not permitted. Instead I should ski slightly crouched (the Canadian hunchback style :D), with one hand in front, close to the body and one hand tucked behind the body; that was allowed.

I think he may have been having some fun with you?

Back in the day, Jay Peak used to hold the George Syrovatka Citizen's Downhill Race every year. We were often skiing there a week or so beforehand and I remember lots of tucking going on as folks were practicing. The last reference I can find for it is 2011.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
"Everybody's Tucking But Me"- Eartha Kitt

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
The key to a good tuck is a flat back parallel to the snow. You don’t even need to get low if you can get your back flat. I’m not flexible enough for that. If you wear a loose jacket with a hood, you are probably just as fast by standing up straight with your arms behind your back.

dm
It's actually a rounded "cat back" that is preferable in the tuck.
Hips level or above shoulders and forward pressure on the shins.....hips should be over the boots and not back.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
beginner-tuck.JPG

Where do people get the idea that this is the way to do a tuck?
Is there a legitimate story that explains this thing that so many people do?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think we should all post pics of our best tuck :D
When in doubt, tuck it out @Tim Flanagan

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.45.05 PM.png

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
How is that possible if one is low?
View attachment 64793
AL Svindal, Are 2006

View attachment 64794
Photos by Ron Lemaster

While it's easy to fall back when "getting low" the objective is still hips over boots. Has to do with shin pressure, trying to keep a longer/higher femur which allows one to better flex the ankle. Not only helps turning but also pressure on the ski (as the ski will wobble under speed when the pressure is not there).

Shoulders should be below hips...airflow overback provides downward pressure.

For the extreme, check out the speed skiers....not downhill....actual speed skiers. Body morphology can make it difficult but your greatest weight is in the hips/glutes....to get CM forward, that body mass needs to move forward as well.

Here's one of our Canadians (Manny) in the tunnel....note hips vs. referencing the back of the glutes.
url

Last edited:
TS
Pequenita

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where do people get the idea that this is the way to do a tuck?
Is there a legitimate story that explains this thing that so many people do?

If someone’s never raced before, it’s pretty easy to think that a tuck consists mostly of bringing the torso towards the knees and curling the arms so that the poles point behind. I don’t think most recreational skiers really pay that close attention to a racer’s tuck position, and this *feels* close enough.

James

Out There
Instructor
If someone’s never raced before, it’s pretty easy to think that a tuck consists mostly of bringing the torso towards the knees and curling the arms so that the poles point behind. I don’t think most recreational skiers really pay that close attention to a racer’s tuck position, and this *feels* close enough.
Yep. You can demo it in front of them and they'll still do the porcupine position by default.